Author Topic: used grease  (Read 9216 times)

Offline Reeper

• Prepper
  • Molon Labe
used grease
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:07:07 AM »
I haven't seen this anywhere and not sure if it should go here, but here is goes.  Does anybody have any ideas what to do with all that grease that you pour out from bacon, ground, or steaks that you just going to poor into a can till it fills up and throw away.  I am sure something can be done with it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: used grease
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »
I cannot keep bacon grease around here. :D But, maybe that is because we don't eat a lot of bacon (maybe once a month) but we grease our egg pan with bacon grease and fry our hashbrowns in it.

usually the other grease, well, we buy grassfed beef, and we get NO grease from the ground.  I love it!

um, the other grease, from chicken roasting or beef roasting, I take it out to the cats.  they love it.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
I'm with Morning Sunshine on this one. What bacon grease we get I save to use making fried potatoes or cornbread or biscuits. I don't get any grease from my ground beef and any grease from roasting goes to the feral cats. If you have a cat or a dog you can put a small spoonful of the liquidfied grease over their food.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
We hold bacon grease in high esteem.

We also don't eat a lot of bacon, but save the grease for cooking things like cornbread & pancakes.

The other oils we just toss out.

I would be interested in hearing what others are doing with theirs though.

Offline Reeper

• Prepper
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »
I normally don't use ground beef too much, mostly ground venison. Sadly I am out, but no worries.  Deer season is in a couple of weeks.  :happydance:

Offline 2mommas

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
bacon grease is great in your pinto beans, especially if you don't have any meat to season them with.  Any old grease can be used to make a makeshift  heater.   Take a one gallon metal can.  cut some airholes  around the bottom.  fill it with strips of cardboard, pour the old grease on them.  Add your lint from the dryer  and you have a homemade campstove/ outdoor heater.

I also read a recipe for Pemmican which used animal grease with other ingredients, to make a staple for eating  on the run.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
i save it to , and i flaver new oil at the cafe with bacon shhh.
7 gals of oil to 1 LB of bacon , its 1 of my secrets shh.
i use bacon grease more than you would think seasoning the skilets.
in beans , pan cakes, soups, and butter.
vilted letus , cut head letus in duarters ,bacon and cheese tomatos and add hot bacon grease  pore over the top.
a little balisamoic vinager ,wow.

Offline 2mommas

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
I agree.   hot bacon grease mixed with a little oil is great on a wilted salad.  I add apple cider vinegar too. 

Try frying a piece of bread in bacon grease, top it with sliced tomato, some lettuce , onion,  and you have a baconless , open faced sandwich. or just make 2 pieces of bread and have a sandwich.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:25 PM »
FRYED BREAD  oh yes, and skillet bisscuts .

Butter and oil will work ,butter taste and raises the burn temp to that of the oil.

carp eggs fryed in bacon grease, short breads, sorry old time eats .

i buy that balk bacon and sometimes you get lucky with it, and on the flat grill with a little work you can pickup the grease
to save back , at home we save all grease in soup cans but mark the bacon and its left for my cookin.

Offline Mick

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
No grease is thrown away in our household, it's just too expensive!  More importantly, bacon grease is just that good.  It doesn't take a much to flavor another dish, even if you are making gravy (which needs a decent amount of fat) you can toss in a half teaspoon of bacon fat and make it sublime.  We keep a jar in the fridge of all our bacon fat.  In fact, when we make bacon I usually take scissors to each slice and remove the fat to fry in a separate pan, this way I can extract more fat, and still eat my bacon chewy.

A little bit of bacon grease will make a good good stew stellar, and the average fried egg gourmet.  I'm almost at the point of insisting my family members save their grease for me, maybe I'd visit more often if at the end of each road trip was a jar filled with smoky goodness.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »
I have a large sized glass mason jar that we pour bacon grease into. We keep it in the refrigerator and use it for cooking were we don't have to use butter. I also give my  ground beef grease to my dog, mix it in with her dry food for a nice dinner treat!

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
I save bacon grease in a jar in the fridge to use for seasoning for green beans, fried eggs and to wilt leaf lettuce with onions and vinegar. Ooo good! My mother saved all our grease and shortening when I was growing up.  We didn't waste anything.  Our cannister set had a grease can with a strainer on top with a lid. Fish grease was the only one she didn't save.  Gave it to the dogs. We were the original recyclers.lol ;)

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
I agree, bacon grease makes EVERYTHING better. I have not tried bread fried in bacon grease but now I am going to!

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
I use to fry biscuts in bacon grease, its just baking on top of the stove ,it's tricky if you use a lid.
and stand them on there sides too.

Maryetta

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
I haven't seen this anywhere and not sure if it should go here, but here is goes.  Does anybody have any ideas what to do with all that grease that you pour out from bacon, ground, or steaks that you just going to poor into a can till it fills up and throw away.  I am sure something can be done with it.

Hi everyone, I'm new here, Maryetta from West Virginia, nice to meet all you good folks!

Growing up Mom bought Crisco and we always saved the grease and reused it as we also did with bacon grease.  I still do this today no matter what the grease.  I do not save or reuse oil, in fact I seldom use oil.
With the advent to of the trans-fat crap, I've switched back to plain lard for the flavor - it is just bacon grease without the smoke of the bacon.
The used grease can be used just like fresh grease and my only 'personal' preference is my fried rabbit or fried chicken - those will get fresh grease, but the used grease from those items is just as good and versatile as used bacon grease.
I've been 'farm cookin' since Mom stood me on a chair to reach the burners and I'm 58 now, so I guess I've survived it.

Maryetta

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
Oh yeah, does anyone render their own lard here?

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
 We don't eat a lot of bacon, but we do save the grease when we do. It's the same as a lot of others, and in a canning jar in the fridge. (another in the freezer) You CANNOT make a proper pot of home grown green beans without a spoonfull of bacon grease.  ;D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »
It looks like our's is the same story as everyone else's, we cook bacon about once a week and save the grease for other cooking like green beans and maybe corned beef hash.

I made a crude candle with a used can, paper clip, shoe string and beef grease before. It worked pretty well, but didn't smell like something you'd buy from Bed Bath and Beyond and there was some smoke.  :P

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »
if you just have too much darn grease to ever eat (I'm not sure how that could happen, but let's say it did) then you can always make soap out of it! :)