Author Topic: Some more questions on the filters  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Steelheart

• Prepper
  • Just making it all work, somehow...
Some more questions on the filters
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
I've already looked over the likely past threads and didn't see any of these covered. I just put an order in and a few questions came to mind.

These questions will be for both the full size black Berkey filters as well as for the Sport Bottle filters.  I suspect that the answers will be the same for both types but just in case...

Can the filters be safely stored (dry and clean) vacuum sealed?
  I'm thinking Food Saver sealer not some sort of commercial unit.

Can the filters be safely stored at sub-zero temperatures?  Once again, assume dry and clean (and probably sealed in some way).  I understand that the filters would have to be warmed up to above freezing before use.  I'd like to be able to keep a Berkey Sport Bottle in a vehicle kit but it does get a bit cold here in Minnesota sometimes.

If the clean and dry filters are stored away from moisture (zip-loc bag, vac-sealed etc) do they have a functional shelf life?

How durable has the Berkey Light unit's been?
  My concern here is if a full unit gets bumped off a table or counter and hits the floor. This is more of a general question as I ordered a Travel Berkey (wanted steel and didn't feel the need for a big unit).

Is there a difference in durability between the standard spigot and the Water Level View spigot?
  I will need to order myself a spare set of filters in the future and will probably get a spare spigot as well.

Steelheart

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Some more questions on the filters
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:59:01 AM »
I've already looked over the likely past threads and didn't see any of these covered. I just put an order in and a few questions came to mind.

These questions will be for both the full size black Berkey filters as well as for the Sport Bottle filters.  I suspect that the answers will be the same for both types but just in case...

Can the filters be safely stored (dry and clean) vacuum sealed?
 I'm thinking Food Saver sealer not some sort of commercial unit.

Can the filters be safely stored at sub-zero temperatures?  Once again, assume dry and clean (and probably sealed in some way).  I understand that the filters would have to be warmed up to above freezing before use.  I'd like to be able to keep a Berkey Sport Bottle in a vehicle kit but it does get a bit cold here in Minnesota sometimes.

If the clean and dry filters are stored away from moisture (zip-loc bag, vac-sealed etc) do they have a functional shelf life?

How durable has the Berkey Light unit's been?
 My concern here is if a full unit gets bumped off a table or counter and hits the floor. This is more of a general question as I ordered a Travel Berkey (wanted steel and didn't feel the need for a big unit).

Is there a difference in durability between the standard spigot and the Water Level View spigot?
 I will need to order myself a spare set of filters in the future and will probably get a spare spigot as well.

Steelheart

Great questions, i will do my best to answer them below.

The black berkey elements may be vacuum sealed, but we recommend putting them in a zip lock bag, or something that is sealed and not exposed to the outside air.  If you vacuum seal them, please let me know what your experience is.

I would not recommend the  black berkey elements be stored at sub-zero temperatures.

The shelf life would be for the sport berkey's 50 years.  I would say the black berkey elements would have a long shelf life also.

I have personally had my royal berkey hit the floor once, and though it got a little dented, it was very durable.  My experience with the berkey light has shown that they are very durable, as my brother still uses my original unit and it is now 5 years old.

Both spigots are durable, and the main berkey company just redesigned the inside of the regular spigot.

I hope these answers were helpful.

theberkeyguy