Author Topic: Putting Meat on the Table.  (Read 16497 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Putting Meat on the Table.
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
I remember in one of Jacks podcasts, paraphrased, and I dusted off that old gun, went out and foraged/hunted for food, and went back to my roots.

OO buckshot swaged. brown ramset. 93? year old rifle.

Cold rainy weekend up at Ludington State Park. Went camping with the family, and I took the 20 dollar slayer out. I think there are social classes among squirrels, no problem seeing reds when its raining, but fox 's didn't seem to show in the weather. Most shots were with cci cb shorts, 1 was with cci blazer for a long off hand shot, and 1 aguilla to finish off a on the run fox squirrel that I put a cb short into (he went past the hunting line so I had to be discrete in the tracking it down). All were shot while still hunting, having chimpmunks 5 yards away most of the time eating was telling me I was moving to the tempo of the woods.

Sorry for the blood, shots were a little lower than I would have liked-in and out, but took out the heart and lots of blood flowing while in the trash basket in my pack.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:49:02 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Putting Meat on the Table.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Very nice. 

I almost went for my first squirrel hunt of the season this morning but I couldn't convince myself to drag my carcass out into the rain.

Thanks for the vicarious thrill.  ;)

Offline KyFarmer

• Survivor
  • Cow farts can power the planet.....
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
I've tried to squirrel hunt about 5 times this season.  It's just too freaking hot and dry here.  IF you can find a squirrel - its so dry he can hear you coming 6 miles away!

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »
Nice. Squirrel stew anyone.

I've tried to squirrel hunt about 5 times this season.  It's just too freaking hot and dry here.  IF you can find a squirrel - its so dry he can hear you coming 6 miles away!

If you find a nice spot,  sit and rub two quarters together and they will come to you. They think that your eating nuts and come to investigate. Works pretty good.

Pat

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
Nice. Squirrel stew anyone.

If you find a nice spot,  sit and rub two quarters together and they will come to you. They think that your eating nuts and come to investigate. Works pretty good.

Pat
That's a pretty good tip, actually.  Not because they think you're eating nuts necessarily though.

Squirrels are intensely curious, & you can use this to their detriment.

The ground doesn't need to be silent for you to be successful.  The biggest factor in nailing a tree rat is figuring out where he is, before he figures out what you are.  I don't wear camo, I'm not silent, & I don't stand still when hunting squirrels.

The biggest factor in successful hunting is understanding how whatever it is you're hunting sees the world.  Understand what it sees, & how it reacts to what it sees is the key.  Know this & you can use it's behavior against it. ;)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Only if you move like a clumsy human.

You need to slow down & move like a critter in the woods.

Critters don't live in a linear fashion (like humans).  They meander, they stop frequently to assess the wind, the sounds & what's around them.  They don't have a schedule to keep, all they have to pay attention to is instinct, & the drive to stay alive.  You have to turn off the outside world & get back to your base self, don't think like a human when you're in the woods. 

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »
That's a pretty good tip, actually.  Not because they think you're eating nuts necessarily though.

Squirrels are intensely curious, & you can use this to their detriment.

The ground doesn't need to be silent for you to be successful.  The biggest factor in nailing a tree rat is figuring out where he is, before he figures out what you are.  I don't wear camo, I'm not silent, & I don't stand still when hunting squirrels.

The biggest factor in successful hunting is understanding how whatever it is you're hunting sees the world.  Understand what it sees, & how it reacts to what it sees is the key.  Know this & you can use it's behavior against it. ;)

Your definitely about the curiosity. I've had them come to the sound of leaves being crunched so they definitely check out a variety of sounds.

Pat

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Best way to attract a squirrel is to find a nice quiet spot and get set up to hunt a deer.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
Best way to attract a squirrel is to find a nice quiet spot and get set up to hunt a deer.
LOL, OMG that's so true.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »

True. I've come very close to shooting squirrels with my 30-30 during deer season. I really hate when the red ones decide to bark at you for hours.

Pat

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
That's why you cheat and use low power loads or the Hammond Game Getter type device. :)

Offline KyFarmer

• Survivor
  • Cow farts can power the planet.....
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:51:59 AM »
I take a 50lb draw crossbow pistol with me for just such an emergency

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
Got to play in the woods today. Traveled to hunting land. It was rainy but I still wanted to go out. I went to the ridge loaded with oaks. Sat down for half an hour, no activity in the rain- except a few chipmunks.

Alright, no activity in the rain, I'll take my game to the squirrels.

Looked down from the ridge to a stand of Giant pines next to the river. Perfect.

Scouted near the river. Found some animal paths, and a cool cave hidden my moss/roots going into the enbankment. Started my stalk towards the pines. As I neared 15 or so yards from them, I heard what I was after. I really like pines, so do squirrels, but the fact is when I stalking the scally bark of the pines makes it easy to hear if something is crawling up them. Also great overhead cover for squirrels to make nests and climb during the rain. In this case, the tail flicking across the bark was the dinner bell. Crack! High neck shot, through and through. In the pack.

Wanting to explore more along the river, I headed that way through some deer runs through field/scrub trees. Great deer sign.
Going into a new growth forest, small pines, not what I want for squirrels, but I decided to stalk it out.

Spotted a woodcock 50 or so yards away. Oh what the heck, I decided to practice my stalking skills. By this time the sun had sort of come out. It was perfect alignment, the shadows it cast off the trees were pointed right in my direction of travel for the stalk. Shifting my way through the ferns and trees, I slowly closed the distance, taking advantage of terrrain. Got within 15 yards, and a single perfect headshot put the woodcock also in my pack.

Prepped, in the cooler. Really beautiful time in the woods. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:47:49 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
Also, cci cb shorts impress me.  I took junior to work to check traps.

1 cci cb short. really old rifle. downward angle neck shot. through and through penetration. trap line. didn't eat, at work, no time. Used a piece of punktified wood on the other side to collect the bullet. city possum. I suppose it doesn't really belong... but I guess it goes to show effectiveness of the tiny 22 cb short.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:47:00 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »
Nice pics!  I am hoping to get into a hunter ed. class next weekend here in MI.  First come first served sign up at the gun shop.  I want to start hunting with tree rats and rabbits.  Using a .22, what type of bullet do you all recommend, hollowpoints or solids?  Thanks!

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
for meat, solids.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
A VERY cold, windy, rainy day. Hunted the ravines because of the wind. Not much activity. Came across a flock of turkeys and 4 deer on the stalk/walk all within range. cci blazer destroyed a little more meat than i like but that was my fault, 40 yard paced off offhand shot. high shoulder/neck.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:45:01 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
I take my old Savage over/under 22lr/20gauge most of the time. That way I'm covered for whatever...I use regular 2.75"#6 high brass in the 20 gauge and CCI "stingers" in the 22 barrel :)
Next month everything changes and it's my old 308 Ruger77. Then the first 2 weeks of December it's "smoke-pole" time ;)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
Yeah, I diddn't apply for fall turkey but I was close enough to brain them. I don't like the shotgun much for squirrel, I can drain shots from 3 yards to once I did an 80 yard offhand, without destroying a lot of meat.

Stingers are good but destroy too much meat for me personally.

I wish I had a 32 smokepole!

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
hillclimer, that old savage is a anker, i love mine we cut down the stock for mom , im glade it cant talk, my mom shoot skeet with mine when i was a kid.
Scottman , if you find a 32 ,ill wont to know,  i play with a barrel of an old 22 that i cut off to make a 22 pellit shooter.
i use a dragoon nipple and caps shure makes those pellits fly. no powder just the cap.
im holding back on the meat for now trying to move ,dont want to move it to.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
number 11 caps?

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
yep shure sends them flying

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 01:00:44 PM »
Up here in Maine it's "upland bird season" bunnys too. Gray tree rats are in season, but they're not really my favorite.

The Savage is pretty old(pre1962 I think), but some of the newer ones are alot heavier than they need to be.  ;)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
ooops haven't been keeping this up.

November: old rifle. Quick hunt after work. Belly crawled into a leaf drift in spruce/cedar for the overhead cover habitat, because raining slightly. Waited for ambush. nice little time, wish I had more. cci short. 15 yard through and through neck shot.

march 31: Decided to read and wait in ambush for my day off today. Also, to get a head start on garden pests. Had stalked this guys habbits out pretty well, knew where the burrow was. Took him with cb longs, multiple shots. Very tough animal to kill with those power loads. Head shot didn't do much, it was a very fast on the run neck shot that hit close to the spine that let me put more lead through his neck once he stopped running.

Also, used the Little Chill Knife for testing.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
Quick morning hunt. "Heard" and stalk. Both shots about 15-25 yards, went for the neck/chest because the power level of the 2100 on skull matter is not that reliable on kills. Both were instant kills. I saw a lot of fox squirrels but not season for them yet.

Nice little hunt practicing field craft.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
Opening day here in Michigan.

Heard and stalk. Shot in the palate, always had good luck with that shot, instant kill.

Second, I took on the frontal centerline, also an instant kill.

Nice, little morning hunt.

Offline abago

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »

I went squirrel hunting with my boys a few weeks ago and didn't see any.

Today, same spot, I was bowhunting and had no less than 6 squirrels running all around me. One almost got in the treestand with me.

I saw some blunt small game arrowheads/broadheads online.
I have never seen or heard about then before.
I think I will get a few to try popping squirrels while I wait for deer and turkeys.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
We are overran with squirrels here.  They steal the walnuts off of our trees in the back yard, and come onto the deck to stare through the french doors at my kids doing school work.  In the spring time they nip the tops off of garden seedlings. They even go into the barn and steal eggs...yes I've actually caught the little buggers in the act, rolling eggs over the threshold of the barn door!  And here I thought the drop in the number of eggs we were getting were the result of a snake or a rat. Oh, it was a rat all right....a tree rat!  :rofl:   While we don't eat squirrels (religious reason), we don't have a problem with anyone else who wants to eat them, and during squirrel season the boys will pop them off and give to a neighbor. Our oldest leaned out of his bedroom window with his bow the other morning and killed one that was in the walnut tree...he used a judo point. Using a bow to get squirrels is probably what keeps our boys in enough practice to be as proficient as they are when it comes to taking deer during archery season...they usually get their quota. :) 

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
Awesome! I wish I was started young into hunting.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 06:01:34 PM »
Grabbed the airgun and my great grandpas hunting knife from the vehicle, stuffed my pant pocket full of a dozen .177 pointed pellets, and hit up the woods for a quick hunt. Didn't have much time, took this guy on with a left handed shot at under 20 yards because of the angle presented, yes ambidextrous shooting practice does come in handy.