Photobucket

Author Topic: Most vital preps for a newbie?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline 22skill

• Prepper
Most vital preps for a newbie?
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am starting out in prepping and am trying to prioritize my buys. What do you consider to be the most vital preps that someone should get if they are prioritizing and only getting the most important things to begin with?

So far I have figured food storage and bug out bags as the most important to start out with, followed by a good home defense weapon. Do you all agree?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Most vital preps for a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
Water....then food....then defense.  Assuming you have a shelter and you obviously do.

Water is cheap.  Just buy some storage and store it. 

J

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi all,

I am starting out in prepping and am trying to prioritize my buys. What do you consider to be the most vital preps that someone should get if they are prioritizing and only getting the most important things to begin with?

So far I have figured food storage and bug out bags as the most important to start out with, followed by a good home defense weapon. Do you all agree?

Welcome!  First, there are a few shows that Jack did in the past that cover getting started.

Start small, think of the most likely events.  Get a good 3 day kit together, everything you would need for three days.  Include heat, light, first aid, etc.  What do you need for a power outage?  Do you have it?

DON'T run out and buy a gun first.  It's much more likely you will need a good first aid kit before you need a gun.

You can start stocking up on food just by buying a few extra cans per shopping trip.  Don't go out and try and buy a years worth of mountain house right away.

For water, if you drink soda, instead of cans, buy 2 litre bottles, and when done, wash 'em out and fill em up.  You will build up a good supply pretty quickly, for almost FREE.

If you don't have a firearm, look into classes or at the very least, find a local range that rents guns and start trying out a variety.

Also, be sure and stop by the Front Porch and introduce yourself!

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=77.0

"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
Well lets start at the most basic a BOB.  For $50.00 or less you can put one together for yourself.  This will give you the chance to evade as needed.  Then water, food and home defense.  
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome

Offline 22skill

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
thanks to all of you.

I want to store water but have heard that storing in plastic is not a good idea, since it may release carcinogens or have other adverse effects. But I haven't seen any large glass bottles or any other way to store...does everyone just store in plastic?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
thanks to all of you.

I want to store water but have heard that storing in plastic is not a good idea, since it may release carcinogens or have other adverse effects. But I haven't seen any large glass bottles or any other way to store...does everyone just store in plastic?

Yeah but not all plastic is bad.  Use containers marked with a 1,2, 4 or 5 in the triangle and you should be fine.  Store it out of the heat and light and all should be well.

J

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »
Soda 2 and 3 liter bottles are just fine.  The problem bottles are the short term storage bottles like milk jugs.  Even with these there is a long shelf life.  Allow me to say that many emergency support agencies (American Red Cross, FEMA, PEMA, UNICEF, etc) use these containers as  a standard long term storage for water when teaching others how to.  I have had water in these types of bottles for years and have had no problems.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »
I'd say start out with all the things that give you the most bang for the buck - the things that are free or real cheap. Obviously you don't have unlimited funds (who does?) so starting with the cheap stuff can build a good base of preps. From there you can start figuring out your weak points and spend money where it is needed.

Someone already mentioned storing water in soda bottles.
Get a documentation package together.
Do some prepping activities with the family (fire drills, etc).
Make a list of what you want to prepare for so you know what direction to take with your preps (that way you can focus on what is important to you - not just a generic list of good things to keep on hand).
Pick up a few extra cans of food when grocery shopping - it will add up with time.
Try to maintain the proper situational awareness. It's much easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of it once you're in it.
Prepare for a short term power outage (blackout kit). It's a common small scale disaster, you probably have a bunch of the things you need already, and it is an easy thing to get knocked out.
Assess your home security. What are your weak points. You may end up needing to spend money on this, but there is plenty that can be addressed fairly easily.

Gather information. There is a ton of info on this forum and all over internet. It's easy and free to get a lot of useful info. Obviously you need to practice skills too, not just read about them, but knowledge is a huge thing. I actually think it's one of the most important preps you can do. Figure out the threats you may face in your area, learn skills that may be useful in mitigating those threats, learn primitive skills, find out where to acquire supplies, etc.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
Great advice has already been posted.

You are already doing the most important thing and that's Thinking;)

As mentioned, keep reading, researching and practice/work at skill development.

I 100% agree that water storage and the ability to treat questionable water is a major priority.

Having containers and unscented bleach on hand is a good idea.
Also the ability to filter & boil water

We have and use a Big Berkey daily...but we also have redundancies, like rain water barrels, a 55 gallon water barrel, several 5 gallon water containers, and multiple smaller water containers.

Also several ways to boil water and a sand/bucket gross water filtration setup...for pre-filtering pond/lake water and such.

There is a lot of great suggestions in this thread already...but I've had to go several weeks (post Katrina) without safe water to drink, and it made a believer outta me.  :)

As far a food storage...the copy canning suggestion is simple and easy and won't break the bank.

Just make a list of your priorities, ask questions, and start doing the work.

If you aren't already familiar with firearms and/or don't own any firearms, then I'd definitely second getting some trustworthy professional instruction.

Good Luck along the journey.

:)
Prag

libertarian by Choice, Southern by The Grace of God
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."  Ben Franklin

Oath Keepers

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »
22skill, I am also a newbie. I've found that an easy way to build up your water storage is to swing by the bottled water section whenever you go to the store and pick up two gallons of water. Here in Florida a gallon of bottled water costs about $.68 for the store brand, so the cost is pretty low. Once you get a few gallons you can start rotating it into your consumption by putting a gallon in the fridge to have pre-chilled water (if you have a smaller fridge, just transfer the water to a smaller container). This method is a little more expensive than filling containers with tap water, but it's a way to get started.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
22skill, I am also a newbie. I've found that an easy way to build up your water storage is to swing by the bottled water section whenever you go to the store and pick up two gallons of water. Here in Florida a gallon of bottled water costs about $.68 for the store brand, so the cost is pretty low. Once you get a few gallons you can start rotating it into your consumption by putting a gallon in the fridge to have pre-chilled water (if you have a smaller fridge, just transfer the water to a smaller container). This method is a little more expensive than filling containers with tap water, but it's a way to get started.
Be cautious with the 2 gallon disposable containers.  The plastic is not designed to last.  I discovered this as I was packing up to move my last house and discovered that the two containers I had were empty.  They had developed thin cracks and leaked out without me noticing, which is surprising given that they were on the upper floor of my place!  They were less than 3 years old when I discovered they'd failed.  That doesn't narrow down the exact shelf life, but too short for my needs.  Long-term, go with at least a soda bottle and eventually pick up some nice 5 gallon plastic jugs with a good spigot.  They're great to have on hand because they let you use them one handed while washing your hands, cleaning dishes, filling pans, etc.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
True about the containers. I noticed that the expiration dates printed on the bottles is about one year from the date I pick them up, so rotation is important. I don't plan on keeping any of them past one year. It was more of an expedient prep, something easy I could do that would increase my level of preparedness. I actually had one in the trunk of my car that failed; I discovered that after everything had dried (which, now that I think about it, indicates that I need to check on my trunk more often!). So if you're just starting out and haven't done anything yet, it's something to consider as a place to start.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
Do the easy / lazy stuff first - don't get trapped into thinking you need the best / most expensive. Most importantly is to start thinking and changing your awareness.

I bought a 2 gal container with a tap to keep cold water in the fridge. If you keep it full you always have at least 2 gal of drinking water on hand.

Put together a 'storm box' - this is just a cardboard box or duffel bag you keep in the closet that has things in case of a storm - candles, matches, fist aid kit, candy/snacks, bottled water, deck of cards / dice / board game /etc, flashlight, batteries, duct tape... say it rains and power goes out - grab your box and entertain yourself for a few hours.

Buy extra - get 2 jars of sauce instead of one, buy a case of water instead of a 6 pack, when meat is on sale buy extra to put in the freezer. Buy the jumbo box of TP. It all adds up over time.

Guns don't have to be fancy or expensive - a single shot 12ga or a basic 22LR rifle can easily be found for under $100. Sometimes closer to $75. Either one will hunt or protect the house - maybe not perfect, but way better than nothing. More training > better gun.

BOB - take an old backpack, throw in a small tarp($5), an old blanket, 100' of clothesline ($2), decent knife($10), cigarette lighter($1) and flashlight($5), basic first aid kit($5), water bottle and a few granola bars. Again, not great but it gets you started for under $50. Build it up over time.

Take incremental steps - but don't wait to get started. A 10# bag of rice and 6 cans of green beans is not a great food storage setup - but it is a start and it puts you 100% in front of someone with nothing.

Put a set of jumper cables in your car with an old blanket and a flashlight. When your gas tank gets down to 1/2 - fill it up.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »

Guns don't have to be fancy or expensive - a single shot 12ga or a basic 22LR rifle can easily be found for under $100. Sometimes closer to $75. Either one will hunt or protect the house - maybe not perfect, but way better than nothing. More training > better gun.

That's a great point.  I just outfitted a lady friend of mine with her first gun.  I got her a like-new used H&R 20g Pardner for $90.  A stock-sleeve ammo carrier, some snap caps, and ammo were another $40.  A 12g would have been even cheaper.
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »
Only thing I can add is to keep asking questions and try to hook up with other folks on this board when there is a meet and greet in or around your area. Knowledge is power.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.