Author Topic: New Stuff  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
New Stuff
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
We have several new things coming into the gear shop in the next month or two.

SUBDUED PATCHES:
For our soldiers and those who want to keep a low profile with their gear.  They will be 3" in diameter.  There will be Velcro on the back of each patch. The price will be $5.50
Here's a mockup of what our subdued patches will look like:

EMERGENCY MEDICAL PATCHES:
To help identify bags that are specifically for medical items, or just to look nifty.  There will be Velcro on the back of each patch.  The price on these will be $5.50
Here's a mockup of those:

EMERGENCY MEDICAL BAGS (M3 for those of you who know your bags):
These are awesome, because they're bright red.  Perfect for helping you identify WHICH bag it is that you're looking for.  These will be sold for $29.95 and will come with an emergency medical patch already on the bag.  There are only 25 of these being offered for now.  If they sell well and there is demand for more, we'll get more after the holiday season is over.

Some photos of these bags:

The front (the emergency patch will be 1/2 inch smaller in diameter than the patch shown on the bag):

The back of the bag:

The bag opened up:

STAINLESS STEEL WATER BOTTLES:
These are 26 ounce stainless steel water bottles.  I'm not sure yet if they're insulated, so please don't assume it is or is not.  They are awesome, though, and rather large.  These will be sold for $9.95.

Here's a mockup of them with the proposed logo:

"TREKKER" SWISS ARMY KNIVES:
We are ALL very excited to see these come into the store.  However, because they are so price prohibitive, we are only getting 25 in for the holiday season.  If there is a demand for more, we will order more after the holidays are over.  They will have the TSP logo laser engraved onto the handle.  These will be sold for $47.00.

I can't show you a pic of these yet, because I don't have one and haven't seen them yet.  ;)  I'll post one as soon as I get one.

I just wanted to give you guys a sneak peek at what's coming up for the holiday season!  I hope you're excited!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: New Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
Sweet!!! I wanna!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:52 PM »
Very nifty!

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
How do I get on the list for one of those Trekkers?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
Bartsdad, are you suggesting a pre-sale?  We know we're going to get them, but I ... could do a pre-sale and just see if they sell out before we even get them in.... Hmmm...

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:02 PM »
Or at least a sign up list due to limited quantities. I may be overly optimistic for you and these products, but I hope they are good sellers and don't want to miss out.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
I'd sign onto a list for the Trekker and water bottle.... And maybe the bag..... and and and..

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
Lists don't really do anybody any good.  I'd need to either get payment for them up front, or have you guys wait (im)patiently until they get into the store.  It's really your decisions.  Do you want to spend the money now, or would you rather wait until you can get semi-instant gratification, knowing that your products are shipped out the day of or the day after I get your order?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:33 AM »
Y'know, I think I'm gonna have to make you guys wait until they're in the store.  When we ordered the french presses, they gave us a date, and that date came and went without us receiving the mugs.  I really, REALLY don't want to put you guys through that again.

Save your money, and keep your peepers on this board (the Gear Shop board).  When we get the new products in, you'll be the FIRST to know about them.  :)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:51:24 AM »
I'd be happy to wait.  I really want one of the medical bags (My current solution is too small and a little awkward to get into (is actually a small soft side tackle box that will find its way in my tool kit for screws and such ;D).  Do you have a rough idea when they will be in? 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
Have you got approximate dimensions on the medical bag?  Guessing based on the patch size, it looks sorta 9x12x4-ish?

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
SW gave me the dimension on the FB TSP Gear Shop page.

It is 12.5" x 10.5" x 3"  Standard M3 size.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
Definitely want several of the new subdued patches - those would be awesome on my Fatboy (no my Maxpedition bag silly) and on DH's Versipak and ooo even on our shooting bags. Really like these!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
It is 12.5" x 10.5" x 3"  Standard M3 size.

Thanks!  That sounds like a really good size for lots of purposes -- it would be great as the "one personal item" you're allowed for airplane carry-on.

Didn't know there were standard sizes for bags.  Huh.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
Didn't know there were standard sizes for bags.  Huh.

Only for some bags.  M3 is a type/size of bag.  All M3 bags look like the one I posted and are the same size, except 99% of them are some color other than red.  :)

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
SW - I have NO problem paying and waiting for my two Trekkers - I'm a patient guy!  Please advise as I want to be 186.93% clear I'm in for two of them. ;D

Thanks,
-N

PS - the water bottle looks great!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
 :excited:

Good job SW and TW.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
Nadir, you'll get your two.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »
I'm ready to order 1 Med bag and 1 Trekker and 1 French Press Coffee mug.  Just give me the go when they are all in so I can order them all at once. 

Thanks SW

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
I suggest a pre-order.  ;)  That way you are much more likely to meet holiday demand knowing there is some extra lead time due to the engraving.

However, I also suggest holding off until you have the details locked in.  Just in case something changes.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
I suggest a pre-order.  ;)  That way you are much more likely to meet holiday demand knowing there is some extra lead time due to the engraving.

However, I also suggest holding off until you have the details locked in.  Just in case something changes.

I want to wait, like you said, until I know exactly what the knives look like.  If they're awful, we can't order them.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »
Well, it looks like we've hit a huge snag with the knives.  The black scales on the soldier knife show absolutely no contrast whatsoever.  The engraving failed.  Spectacularly, I'm told.   ::)  

The GOOD news (TW always finds something good in the mess) is that our awesome contact found these: http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=soldier+knife&product=54839&

And the BAD news (I always have to find the negatives) is that our awesome contact probably can't get these AND have them engraved before the holiday season.  <big sigh>

So... I'm glad we didn't offer them as a pre-order.  This is a perfect example of why I hate pre-orders.

Oh, and the price probably won't be the same.  I'll change it in the original post when we get a quote on them.

Grrrr...

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »
OK guys this is a snag but not the end of our search.

I have not seen the trekker engraving yet, but I trust my contact. I should have a pic tomorrow.

The knife that Sis put a link to in her post is a nice knife, but it does not have a saw, it has a seat belt cutter instead.

I am looking for ideas here, any input you have will be appreciated. I really want to do a knife, but refuse to do one that does not have the features that a majority of people want. The serrated blade seems to be a big issue for most.

So we are back to the drawing board.

Think about it and give us your thoughts.

TW

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »
I found the Soldier model the other day and liked the grip on it better than the trekker (I'm not a big fan of the saw, Not big enough to do any real work with so dropping it in favor of a seatbelt cutter is good in my opinion).

I have seen this guy around and heard good things about it.  Don't know if you can get it tagged though.
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-9070/dp/B000PL6N2S?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=multitoolknife-20&creative=391873

This guy from tool logic is interesting.  Kind of combines 3 items I already have on my keychain which would reduce the mess configuration a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Logic-SLP2-Flashlight-Magnesium/dp/B00140QD38?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=multitoolknife-20&creative=391873

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
Thanks for checking it out SW and TW.
The Dual Pro X looks good, the seat belt cutter is a nice feature. But I dont know, is the handle red or pink?
Docwatmo, the ToolLogic has lots of nice features but it's rather large,

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Well, it looks like we've hit a huge snag with the knives.  The black scales on the soldier knife show absolutely no contrast whatsoever.  The engraving failed.  Spectacularly, I'm told.   ::)  

Ugh, that is a very familiar problem for me, from our computer-controlled woodcarving business 15 years ago.  When you cut grooves or shallow-relief images in wood, all you see is more wood. :P

We developed three tricks for enhancing the contrast.  I'm not sure whether these could be adapted to SAK scales, but for brainstorming purposes, here they are:

Cut the pattern into the bare wood, apply a thick coloring agent (in this example a blue wood stain gel), and wipe it off so that it only stays in the grooves/edges of the pattern.

On the SAK, you might be able to do this with some sort of paint.  Not sure how it would end up looking, though.

Apply color uniformly to the wood first, and then carve through it to expose the wood color.

You'd have to find an awfully damn tough paint/coating for the SAK scales, otherwise it would be flaking off after a little use.  Probably impractical.

Apply a veneer of a different-colored wood, and then carve through that.

Theoretically possible on the SAK, but you'd need a bunch of precut bits of material and a lot of manual labor for gluing them on.  Hard to do without looking crappy.

So, yeah, none of these ideas are really great for your SAK, but maybe they'll trigger one of our brilliant minds here to brainstorm up a better idea.

What really surprised me is that your test with the Soldier SAK came out so beautiful.  It seems unlikely that those dark-green scales are just light-colored plastic with a dark surface.  I'm guessing the laser heat actually destroyed the green color, leaving behind the color of the undyed material.

The GOOD news (TW always finds something good in the mess) is that our awesome contact found these: http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=soldier+knife&product=54839&

And you still have a mystery -- If you use the laser on the red scales, will it bleach them white and give you a nice visible logo?  Or will it just be low-contrast red-on-red?  (Did you notice that this knife has an embossed SAK logo on the scales?  It's practically invisible.)

One more option:  Suppose you had a bunch of little discs or buttons made with the TSP logo -- maybe hard plastic, or maybe metal like miniature challenge coins.  Clamp the SAK into a drill press, use an end mill to drill out a shallow circular pit the size of your logo button, and glue it in place.

I have no idea what it would cost to get logo buttons made -- but maybe if you ordered hundreds, with the intention of using them on a variety of future Gear Shop products, it might be cost-effective.

I'm all brainstormed out now.  Next brain, please!

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
I know it would just increase the price, but custom scales may solve the problem.  I'm not suggesting using these guys (too pricey) but if they can do all these whiz-bang things, then....

http://blog.cuscadi.de/

I also thought the button-inlay might work, but that's a whole 'nother design/production gig with a much less clear pay-back route than just engraving the scales.

One other thing that came to mind for engraving that isn't showing up enough, is using enamel paint to "fill it in" like some firearms aficionados use for lettering or logos on their weapons (typically they'll do these in-fills in white or white & red).  True, it adds a whole layer of labor, but it may also be something the end user does instead of the Gear Shop (i.e. post a picture of the engraved knife, but also post one of a knife with the in-filled (painted) engraving to show the possibility for those who want more contrast).

Dunno.  Will have to wait and see what the "spectacular" failed engraving actually looks like to see if any other ideas come to mind.  Might even disagree that it's a bad look - some people LIKE low-profile stuff! :)

-N

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
First: Thank you to everybody who offered advice.  It's giving us a lot of ideas.

Second: Our awesome contact did suggest painting.  It'd add about $3.50 to every knife to do the painting.  We need to see how it looks first before we do that. It's definitely an idea, though.  Black with a white painted engraving MIGHT look cool.  Maybe.  The problem that I see is that paint chips and wears off.

Third:  I LOVE the idea of little metal "buttons" like super mini challenge coins.  That's a freaking AWESOME idea, even if it's for other products and we don't use it on the knives.  Though, I think if we knew how deep the buttons were, we could have the engraver just engrave that much of a circle into the knife, and I'll glue the bastards in when they get to us.  That's just not that big of a deal.  And if we carried extras, we could sell them as "replacement parts" for if the button ever comes loose.

Fourth:  Something that was suggested by our contact a long time ago, but which I totally forgot until just now - we COULD laser-engrave the blade.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
I just emailed our coin guy to ask him if his company is capable of doing this.  I have my fingers and toes crossed on this one.

I'll let you know what he says when he emails back.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 01:08:04 PM »
We await your messages on pins and needles.