Author Topic: The Most Dangerous Gun: Glock  (Read 27969 times)

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
The Most Dangerous Gun: Glock
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
I was listening to a radio show yesterday and a local gun shop owner was on and they were discussing Plaxico Burress shooting himself.  He was telling a story about when he was asked about the incident he said Plaxico must have had a Glock.  When asked why he thought that he said it's because the Glock is the most dangerous gun in the world. 

I was surprised to hear that from a gun shop owner who sells a lot of Glocks.  I've had my eye on a Glock 19 and want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thoughts?

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
Re: The Most Dangerous Gun: Glock
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
I have had a Glock 17 for 20+ years and never shot myself.  The shop owner has a grudge against Glock for some unknown reason.  The Glocks are safe and reliable.  You can drop a loaded Glock and it won't go off.   Unless someone tampered with the gun, the only way a Glock will go off is if he had his finger on the trigger before he was ready to shoot.

The gun is safe, that shooter isn't.
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Any gun in the hands of an idiot can be dangerous. I looked up the story on this guy and he had it tucked under his waste band. It started sliding down the inside of his pants, and like a numbskull, he grabbed the gun and put his finger on the trigger and BANG!.  The gun did what it was suppose to do, fire when the trigger is pulled.  You can never idiot proof anything completely.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
Maybe, the gun shop owner has a thing against Glock because they have no manual safety.  Which may have prevented the idiot from shooting himself. I have started shooting guns with no manual and I still swipe the side of the frame where the safety would be. 

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »
Can you manage to always keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot?
Can you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction?

If so, then a Glock is safe.

If not, no gun is safe.

Plaxico had the pistol stuck in his waistband, no holster. It started to slip and he adjusted it, at which time HE PULLED the trigger.  This could have happened with a number of pistols.

Many gun store owners have NO Clue...
Eastern Thought meets Western Gunfighting

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
After years of carrying a pistol with a manual safety I am moving to a safetiless pistol. I've been carrying the H&K USP Compact 45ACP. THe 9mm v 40 thread has me thinking the 9mm is better (I can afford ammo to train, and extra shot capacity is more a benefit to me that stopping power per shot). I'm now looking at the H&K P30. It has no manual safety and is fully ambidextrous.

A manual safety on a pistol is not needed as long as the user has proper training, proper carrying methods, and proper handling procedure.

I was in that group for a long time. After taking a class at MDFI, and drawing from concealed, disengaging the safety, and getting on target, I was a full 2 seconds behind in my shooting from someone who was open carrying. While I don't expect to be as fast off the draw as an open carrier (I have to relocate clothing to get at the pistol), the extra steps of safety disengagement put me at a further disadvantage of getting shots on target. Considering in that time a trained user can empty a magazine, it means I have to deal with 15-19 shots coming my way before I can return fire.

No thanks.

So, if a Glock is Right For You, get it, and don't look back. Instead, learn its proper use, get the proper training, and go to a legitimate training center that will instill the proper handling, drawing, and shooting procedures for your pistol. Once you get a couple thousand rounds downrange with it, good policy should be thoroughly imprinted in your head and your concerns with your pistol will be alleviated.

D

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
When I went to Gunsite, Col Cooper told us a story. He was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. A Russian officer was there. A group of US officers was looking at his TT33.
One officer said "This pistol doesn't have a safety! That isn't safe!"
The Russian officer was puzzled and thought for a moment before replying "Ees pistol, ess not safe"

Exactly.
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
The Glock has one major design flaw....

If loaded it fires every time you pull the trigger, if you don't pull the trigger it doesn't fire.

My S&W 442 has the exact same design feature, and nobody calls it unsafe. For some reason a revolver without
a manual safety is ok, but people freak out because a glock has no manual safety.

Pure irrational idoicy if you ask me, so if you'll be offended don't ask me.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
And yet, ICE stopped issuing the Glock pistol because too many of their agents were having accidental discharges.

The reason?  You had to pull the trigger to disassemble it.  What do you even say to that?

Apparantly it was too hard to teach them to unload the firearm first and treat every gun as if it was loaded, etc. etc.

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
And yet, ICE stopped issuing the Glock pistol because too many of their agents were having accidental discharges.

The reason?  You had to pull the trigger to disassemble it.  What do you even say to that?

Apparantly it was too hard to teach them to unload the firearm first and treat every gun as if it was loaded, etc. etc.

If they are lucky, they learn to clear it first.  My coworker below figured it out after his first .45ACP round. :)

Another angle is that the dealer makes very little profit on Glocks and this might boost his HK / SIG sales. :)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »

1. Wow, If I was an insensitive bastard I would say that is natural selection working.

Unbelievable, who pulls a trigger without unloading.

Apparently natural selection is trying to work. (see line 1)

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

I heard that is the reason my M&P has a stupid little lever to disengage the sear for take down.  I found a work around though.... pull the trigger like on a glock.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »
 I've heard the same prejuduce against Glocks for years, because 1-they're "plastic", and 2-because they don't have an external manual safety lever. No one with that attitude wants to hear about the internal safeties, just the one. The weapon won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, the trigger can't be pulled unless the safety bar is engaged, and the weapon cannot fire if dropped (on impact). It's no more dangerous than any semi-auto. I've seen accidents do to bumped safety levers, safety's that weren't locked (1911's), and all kinds of others due to nothing more than mistakes or plain and  simple ignorance. I even saw someone once check the safety of the .308 over his shoulder by sticking his finger in the trigger.
 As far as haveing to dry fire to disassemble-I know someone who shot off the tip of his left index fnger because he didn't check the chamber. Of course, at the time he was not only sitting on the toilet, (which I'll never understand why this seemed to be a good time to disassemble a weapon), but he had downed a few beers between the time he got home and the time he was at his porcilin workbench. That situation could have been much, much worse, but he just lost the tip of a finger. Did I feel bad for him? Of course not. I ride that boy so hard for lack of common sense and safety that he earned the name "Glockfinger" by everyone he knew.
 Theyre is no more such a thing of a safer or more dangerous firearm than there is a less or more dangerous car on the Autobahn. They're ALL dangerous and need treated with the utmost respect.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
I trust my G19. I would agree that the Glock is the most dangerous gun in the world - to those on the receiving end.

Also, when wielding a Glock I get a +3 on dexterity, +1 charisma, +5 on wisdom and +2 luck. So I have that going for me...

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 11:59:54 PM »
I trust my G19. I would agree that the Glock is the most dangerous gun in the world - to those on the receiving end.

Also, when wielding a Glock I get a +3 on dexterity, +1 charisma, +5 on wisdom and +2 luck. So I have that going for me...

That comes in so handy when your opponent is wearing Magic Boots of Fleeing. ;)

OT: I love my Glock 19.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »

The Glock only gives +2 on dexterity. And +1 charisma is only with other Glock owners.  ;)
Thank you for a constructive and positive contribution to the post!  I much rather see these types of responses than the negative, pessimistic posts of some other members.  - tankman1989

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 12:46:21 AM »
The Glock only gives +2 on dexterity. And +1 charisma is only with other Glock owners.  ;)

"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »
You forgot to put a 'ranger band' around the grip...

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
If charisma worked you wouldn't need a firearm.

That's what my liberal friends tell me, they can talk their way out of being robbed or raped.

I'm not very charming so I have a Glock.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »

That's the +5 wisdom.
Thank you for a constructive and positive contribution to the post!  I much rather see these types of responses than the negative, pessimistic posts of some other members.  - tankman1989

Online Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
The car driven by an inattentive or distracted driver (Texting, overly tired, busy with the radio etc, etc) is far more dangerous than any firearm (Except when the firearm is used for its intended purpose).  Whens the last time someone "Accidentally" killed a dozen or more people with 1 AD out of a pistol? 

Much like almost any other tool out there, pay attention to what your doing, your operating a tool that when used improperly can be deadly (and when used properly can be much deadlier  ;D

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 03:35:11 PM »
Just got home with my brand new Glock 19 Gen 4.  Can't wait to shoot at the range Thursday.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
    • New Hempshire Foundation
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »

That's what my liberal friends tell me, they can talk their way out of being robbed or raped.

I often wonder about the use of the word 'charming.'  If you think about it what a charming person is doing is projecting a beautiful image that distracts you from their shortcomings.  To say that an individual is charming is to basically say, "Wow, that is some glittery bullshit you've covered yourself with!"

I'm going to use that word more now that I've thought about it.

Just to stay on topic, none of my (or my wife's) pistols have external safeties.

Offline Jake

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I own 3 Glock 17s, 1 Glock 19 and 2 Glock 26s. Since I began shooting I have had one ND and it was because I violated rule #1 of gun safety, not a fault of the Glock. Great guns.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
I really dislike Glocks, but that is plain ignorant.  My Sig doesn't have a safety either.  A 1911 trigger takes about half the force to pull.  Others are known for blowing up in your hand on a regular basis.  I really can't think of a single thing that would make a Glock any more or less safe than any other major brand.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Just got back from the range today from fall qualifications and all the Glocks functioned flawlessly. Only one other had a non Glock gun(Colt) that jammed on him.

Offline OldManSchmidt

• Dedicated Contributor
  • There is such a thing as too low.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »
Guns are tools, no more or less.  They are not magic and do not think for themselves.  Contrary to reports in the media, guns do not "go off", they are fired.  They may be fired accidentally, but so long as they do not have major manufacturing defects or been modified by recipients of the Darwin Award, they expel a bullet from the barrel only when the trigger is pulled.

My favorite reply to the "Glocks don't have a safety." statement is "Sure they do.  Keep your finger off the trigger, stupid!"
Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me -- Psalm 23
If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to.  This is the last stand on Earth. -- Ronald Reagan
I never signed onto this gig to save the world, just my little piece of it. -- OMS

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »

That's the +1 Charisma.  You can usually make a better case to someone whom is looking down the barrel of a gun.

Offline CharlieFoxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
I've carried a G30 as my primary concealed weapon for nearly 15 years and never had a problem.  Plaxico violated the first rule of carrying Glocks which is never carry it loaded unless its in a holster that covers the trigger.
All of Jack's wisdom distilled into one do not miss podcast:  Episode 823.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »
A Glock is only as dangerous as the person that is holding it.  If they do not follow basic firearm rules they are bound to have problems.  I am an owner of a G19 for 17 years, a Glock 21 for 15 years and a Glock 22 owner for 14 years.  I have had no issues with these tools that have not been operator caused ie "human error".  Any tool used improperly will eventually give you problems.
Improvise-Adapt-Modify-Overcome