Poll

If a buddy were being stalked and feared for his safety, would you lend him a pistol?

Yes
No
Other (explain)

Author Topic: If a buddy were being stalked and feared for his safety, would you lend him a pi  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Possenti2264

• Dedicated Contributor
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Personally, no.

I might sell him one, if it was lawful to do so in my state.  Might sell it to him for $1, with a bill of sale, and possibly, under those circumstances, an FFL transfer or transfer form (depending on the state).

CYA.
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
I think it depends on what state I live in.

Hmmmm, on second thought... I am not so sure....
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
I would not lend him a pistol, however, I might give him the money, cash, as a gift to use as he sees fit, to buy one on his own. He would have to be a good friend and would have to be very honest as to why he is being stalked/ threatened. :-\
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Any friend of mine who might do something that would cause someone/something to stalk them... wouldn't need to borrow a pistol from me...  ;D
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
No.

A. All of my friends have their own.
B. It would be inviting trouble into my own home and family, which would breach my responsibility to take care of them.

Here, so long as you are not a convicted felon, and are not under a restraining order, you can go to the gun shop and get your own, in and out in less that 15 min.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
Depends....

My buddy was attacked and pulled his pistol and did the attacker. Pistol is being held in evidence. Attacker's posse is threatening revenge. My buddy is well trained, and responsible. Then sure.

My buddy plays the horses. made some bad bets, and his bookie is trying to track him down to have him make good. Then No.

After hurricanes, I've had aquaintances ask to borrow a gun in light of the lawlessness and looting going on. I told them all no. They had no experience, no concept on How to use a gun, let alone When to use one.

If the scenario involved a close friend, well I'm not going to have that conversation on an open forum...
Eastern Thought meets Western Gunfighting

Offline Onug

• Prepper
Sell, yes...

Give/loan/borrow, No

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Depends....

That's my reaction too.  I did once have a friend ask to borrow a revolver -- not because he was in danger, but because he was heading for some sort of tense domestic situation.  No way!

If a friend is really in danger, what I'd do would depend on the friend and the situation.  It's not just the legal liability, it's... well, maybe I can call it moral liability.  Once I own a gun, I'm responsible for what it shoots.  At least, that's the way I feel about it.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Martial Tactical Training of Michigan
I think Serellan has it right.

If a BUDDY is being STALKED and FEARED FOR HIS LIFE, I would sell him one of my firearms for $1, get all the paperwork necessary, and make the SALE. I'd keep a copy of the paperwork handy, probably by the front door somewhere, and hope the other copy made it through the State records system before the situation escalated further.

I'd also make sure he had his sh!t together since government likes to snoop everywhere. Get anything out of the house and off the hard drive that isn't lily-white in nature.

I'd also do a lot of research on how to handle the situation, and look for ways of dissuading the enemy.

Lastly, I'd spend a lot of time with my buddy. Reduces the "alone" time and limits the opportunity a stalker might have.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."     -Captain America

See my Examiner.com articles on Emergency Preparations: http://www.examiner.com/detroit-emergency-preparedness-in-detroit/donald-alley

See my Examiner.com articles on martial arts:  http://www.examiner.com/martial-arts-in-detroit/donald-alley

Offline CaptainRW

• Senior Survivalist
  • If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK...
    • Cheshire County NH
Loan, no, to many risks these days especially. Sell cheaply, with a right to buy it back at XXX price, yes..
TTFN
 Richard
  NH Zombie Defense Team Leader.
Since Mr Obama told us about the existence of Zombies, (Feb 2010) when he referred to a Navy "CorpseMan". Now this Harvard educated lawyer would never pull a "Bushism" so he had to be referring to walking undead, and not a corpsman, Right? So I figure, we must need to be ready...
 FYI... Federal Reserve Notes are NOT money, dollars or real currency, they ARE Fiat Currency, with no value except what the Fed says, So I now call them Federal Reserve Fiat Notes. Better to call things as they really are...

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
i have , and i have left a gun on perpous. but i live diffrent than others.
if i cant trust you with my wife, kids ,and or money i cant trust you.
hell i have 3 or 4 out now. none with paper on them.
there not big money guns and i have lots .

the if is weather you would do anything to help them confront the stalker?
Stalk the stalker? Or to step in and handle it" hay i dont know what your problem is but were going to handle it if you dont get it resolved."            sometimes things take a little country justice.

Im not to suttle , and not going to change.

Offline leprachuan45

• Prepper
Loan no. I might sell him one at a good price if he doesn't have the money to buy one. He'd have to be able to legally buy one though
Rule 1:
If everybody agrees with you, you're probably wrong.
Therefore: if everybody says you're an idiot, you're probably a genius.
Rule 2:
People always say the opposite of what they think.
Therefore: if they openly agree with you, they probably think you're an idiot. And that means you're a genius.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
TSP and its moderators do not condone illegal activities in any way whatsoever.  That includes "country justice" or the illegal "owning" of firearms without paperwork being filed with the government first.

Further, posting such bold "internet warrior" nonsense on a public forum where your IP address, email address and so on are right there in the open where any moderator or admin can snatch it and hand it over to a government agent who asks politely for it with a warrant is inviting trouble to our forum, into our personal lives, and into your life.

Please don't be so glib as to become a braggart about such things here where it endangers others.

-Sister Wolf and the TSP mod squad

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
Sister Wolf's warning is well made.

But to answer that question...not the slightest chance under any circumstances.  Every single friend of mine that I would trust with any firearm has sufficient supplies of their own that I would not need to arm them with one of my own.   Any person, friend or not, that does not already own their own firearm, probably does not have the training needed for me to trust them with one outside of a controlled environment. Like taking someone to the range to teach them firearm use and safety for instance.

Now I would not have a problem with hanging out with them or possibly staying at their house for awhile to give them some support and the ability to get some sleep while I was awake.  Or possibly letting them stay at my place for a bit...depending on the person.

"Build a politician a fire and keep him warm for a day.
Set a politician on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."

Collector of rare and antique inflatable goats.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Was at pawn shop the other day - they had a H&R single shot 410 for $90, they would probably take $70-75. You can usually find the same thing in 20 or 12 ga for about the same $$$.

For the price of 2 tanks of gas, you have a perfectly serviceable HD weapon.

I was actually looking at the 410 as a potential 'truck gun' - throw a butt cuff on it with a few #6's and a few slugs. It was already short, could take a few inches off the barrel and get it down to an OAL of about 27 or 28".

Offline Possenti2264

• Dedicated Contributor
Great, thanks all for the advice. 

What I gleaned is that if my buddy isn't so wound up to buy a gun, then no good will come from lending one to him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
Just another "no" vote here - mostly because it's illegal in California as I read our law - it's an "unlawful transfer" since an FFL (and a background check) weren't involved.  That said, if I had a friend who was truly in fear for his life, I'd find other ways to help (help get them out of town; in extreme cases have them stay with me, etc.)  Even in those cases where they have time to acquire a weapon legally, acquiring the skill to use one isn't something that happens overnight, as ZGF rightly points out above. 

So, in a roundabout way, the BEST way to help a friend in trouble, is to get them to arm themselves and get training WAY BEFORE they're ever in trouble. :)

-N
Region 8, SoCal

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
NO

I would give or sell, but borrow sounds like it could carry liability that I wouldn't want.

Avoid gambling, drugs, alcohol and ilicit sex. Also avoid people involced in them and places where they are common and you can avoid most of the potential trouble that will come to you in life.

I don't always follow this for alcohol, but the concept is accurate.

Pat
Life is only an outer layer, for reality is only realized by the insane.
-Valleix Herald

Live free, speak the truth, love completely, die hard.

Things change and we roll with it. We get back up and start over. Life goes on.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
My apologys , Sister wolf
i do live diffrent than others and forget some of us are not as free as others.
 The only people in my state that have to register are the class 3 owners.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
My apologys , Sister wolf
i do live diffrent than others and forget some of us are not as free as others.
 The only people in my state that have to register are the class 3 owners.

You have absolutely no reason to apologize.  I'm just trying to protect the forum.  ;)

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

inbox485

Under certain very limited circumstances, I might lend a firearm out. I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that a firearm may be lent out for less than 30 days without being considered a transfer (CA). 99% of the time however, it would be a solid no. My sister would be one possible exception. I've taught her to shoot, but she doesn't own a gun of her own.

Offline tween

• a.k.a. Gunkid (banned)
  • Prepper
  • Banned Due to ToS Violations and for being Gunkid
who said it would be "home defense? You are not at home for half of your life, typically, so a repeating pistol is the only realistic option. A single shot, of any type is a joke Most shots in combat miss the target. Did you know that our troops fire  50,000 rds per enemy hit with the rifle? Most hits are not good hits, either.

Online Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Other:  No - however; would I help them pick it out at a gun store - maybe even provide a loan - yes. 

However, I am a bit more picky on who my buddies are - if I could not trust that person with my life the answer would be no.

Have I ever sold a gun to a "buddy" - yes....the one an only time I have done that - it was quite legit to do so.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
Depends. 

I have a good friend.  Great guy.  But he has an old B&E felony from his younger and stupider days.  I'm not loaning him a pistol.  A knife, a baseball bat, or a number of other, non-regulated weapons, sure.  But a handgun is asking to send me to jail.

Now, on the other side of the coin, if it were someone in my "extended family" (including old family friends and the like), then yeah, I'd probably loan them a weapon, up to a firearm.  I might even spring for a basic youth shotgun just for them.  I have known some of them for decades.  They have no record, they are upstanding members of their respective communities.  If they needed a weapon for protection, and I had the means to provide it, then they'd have it.

It is really a judgement call.  I can't speak for you or your buddies.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
Yes I would loan a gun and have when a buddies house was bulgarized and all his weapons were stolen. It's perfectly legal in my state. Fortunately we don't have the draconian laws of Ca.
I'm prepared to be wrong are you?