Author Topic: Episode 527 North side of house plants  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Uberman

• Prepper
Episode 527 North side of house plants
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »
I just thought I would chime in on what I have planted on the North side of my house as suggestions for the caller on episode 527. I have planted these plants on both sides of a concrete step into the house so the ones on the West side of that step get a little late afternoon sun and the one on the East side of the step get little to no direct sun and are doing fine.

The first one is ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) I live near Reading PA it grows wild I just dug them up, very easily replantable. Just in case someone does not know, in early spring the leaves "roll" up out of the ground and are called fiddleheads. Great eating.

Next is Good King Henry(Chenopodium bonus-henricus), my reading lead me to believe these like a good bit of sun so I planted them in sun. They were scorched all the time, I dug them up and moved them to this mostly shade area, they look great. Spreading has been slower that I thought maybe ideally they like a bit more sun but they are producing seed so maybe they are about to take off.

Comfrey, I planted comfrey in this area it is one the very West side of the area so get some afternoon sun, but I have also planted it on the East side of my house between the house and barn (house and barn are very close together) under a tree they get a very little amount of early morning sun the shade all day. All are doing great.             

Offline Uberman

• Prepper
Re: Episode 527 North side of house plants
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
Sorry, the last post wouldn't let me write anymore.

Fuki (Petasites japonicus) this likes shade and moist to wet ground, I understand this can be invasive, mine isn't big enough to have harvested any to eat yet so I can't speak to how good a veggie it is hopefully next year. This like some plants have warnings as to being toxic to the liver, the Japanese eat it all the time, it does take a little bit of prepping know how before eating (I eat poke every Spring, again a bit of prepping know how needed).

Lastly I have chickweed, dock and burdock I gathered from the wild by seed or root and planted in these areas. These plants I do use myself usually as part of the greens in green smoothies but they can be use as garden greens also. However, the biggest part of these are harvested and fed to rabbits. The rabbits love these and let me harvest them fast enough that I keep the burdock from going to seed (don't what the burrs in everything) when they peter out after their second year (they are biennual) I will dig some new roots from elsewhere, avoiding the burr stage. Dock seems very healthy there, the burdock either due to the lack of light or the continuous harvest (or both) looks heathy but does stay a lot smaller that the undisturbed plants in sunny fields.

Thats my suggestions for very shady spots. Mike