Author Topic: Missing from Public Library  (Read 4592 times)

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
Missing from Public Library
« on: July 25, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
Wasn't quite sure where to put this since it (sort of) covers many different topics. 

Yesterday I went to the largest public library in the area to pick up a book or two regarding canning.  To my surprise they were all checked out.  I've only got into canning the last 3 years and I've never encountered this problem.  While there I figured I would grab a book or two on gardening since I'm always trying to learn more.  Guess what?  ALL of the vegetable gardening books were checked out too.  As were all books regarding raising beef and poultry. 

Initially I was a little pissed.  However, after thinking about it I realized that possibly more people are becoming self sufficiency/modern survival minded than I thought.  Even if they don't know it. 

I find amazing that ALL of the vegetable gardening, canning, beef and poultry books were checked out at the same time. 

I haven't searched for any statistics regarding home/self food production but I wonder if this is a possible trend. 

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • snowbird / boondocker
    • boondock plan
Re: Missing from Public Library
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I went to get some backyard poultry books from the PL a couple months ago and they were all checked out.  Had to put holds on them to get'em next...

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Our local library has a website where you can see if a book is checked out before driving down there.  Pretty cool.

Your library website may also offer this service.  Could save some gas and frustration.  It does me.

Offline The.Mond

• Prepper
  • Sovereign Individual
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
I bet that's what people were thinking in my town after my wife and I finally got our library cards earlier this month and checked out all the canning books available.  :-X

Since she was always in need of a bookmark, I made her a few for her out of these TSP business card templates:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=17501.msg191702#msg191702

...and I 'accidentally' left them inside the books upon returning them to the library.  ::) I'm sure the next person who checks out those canning books will happen upon those TSP business card/bookmarks and appropriately 'recycle' it.  ::)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
If you want to look for the trends some libraries still use systems where you  can see how often it has been checked out for years previously.  As a how to type book it may have been popular for quite a while (or always).

That being said, it wouldnt surprise me if the number of people trying to get those books has increased.

-Chem

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
I bet that's what people were thinking in my town after my wife and I finally got our library cards earlier this month and checked out all the canning books available.  :-X

Since she was always in need of a bookmark, I made her a few for her out of these TSP business card templates:

...and I 'accidentally' left them inside the books upon returning them to the library.  ::) I'm sure the next person who checks out those canning books will happen upon those TSP business card/bookmarks and appropriately 'recycle' it.  ::)
Well done.

+1  ;)

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »

Sneaky. Sneaky

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
Other options for finding material on these subjects:

If there is a Mormon church (Later Day Saints) in your area they frequently have info and material relating to food storage and prepping.  It typically is available to the general public, not just church members. 

See if there is a Master Gardener or Master Naturalist group in your area.  They also have a wealth of knowledge about plants and planting in your area.  This coming weekend our local Master Gardener group is putting on their annual plant sale.  Part of it is free presentations on composting, soil testing, and rain harvesting.

Sometimes it's nicer to talk to someone with first hand knowledge than to try and read it out of a book.  Of course it's a great sign that these books are all checked out of the library.

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
Too bad you could not get the books, but it's really cool that so many Americans are waking up and seeing a need to prepare for hard times.  I hope its happening every where in every state.

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
Too bad you could not get the books, but it's really cool that so many Americans are waking up and seeing a need to prepare for hard times.  I hope its happening every where in every state.

That's what I'm hoping too.  The word got out at work that I garden and can a lot of my own food.  At first I got "that" look.  You know, the "you're weird" look.  Well, lately several people have asked me questions regarding canning and a couple have even asked for recipes. 

I guess I'll just budget to purchase the books before next canning season.  That way there will be one less person taking up resources for the curious and new canners. 

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »

That link didn't work for me, but someone please let me know if there is a page with bookmarks formatted to print out on standard 8.5"x11" cardstock.  I'd throw a few in at libraries and bookstores in my area. Thanks.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »
I find it awesome that you can't find gardening books or canning books.  That is so encouraging that so many folks are getting it and turning into ants. There is some hope after all.