Author Topic: ZombieFit  (Read 5124 times)

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
ZombieFit
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
This was featured in Wired magazine this month - it might just be the most excitement I've ever had when it comes to physical fitness:

What is functional fitness? We think it is the ability to perform any given task, at anytime, quickly and efficiently. Functional fitness and situational awareness are necessary skills that are lacking in today's society. ZombieFit hopes to change that.

What if you woke up tomorrow to find your city overridden with zombies, would you survive? This may seem childish, but by preparing for the impossible, you'll be ready for the improbable.

The keys to surviving Z-day are simple: Be able to lift and throw heavy things, run fast and for long distances, and be able to navigate obstacles and urban environments in an efficient manner. By following the ZombieFit WODs (workout of the day) and practicing parkour, you will achieve increased fitness through the performance of functional movements at high intensity and find within yourself the internal discipline and mental fortitude necessary to become a traceur.

Our goal is to be instructive in functional fitness and the parkour ideology. We sincerely hope you learn something from this site. Whether you need zombies to motivate you, or just want a good workout/place to learn parkour, we'll be able to help.

ZombieFit

Also brilliantly attempted in The Office: NBC The Office Season 6 episode 2 Parkour

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: ZombieFit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
Interesting.

I always wondered about "Fitness" in this respect.

When I was in the army I was 6' 3" 210 lbs.  My roommate was 5'3" and 95lbs. (By the way he was a great guy and really liked him, i'm not bashing him here, just using him as an example).

He could do 100 Push ups, 100 sit-ups and run the two mile in 11:00 flat.
I could do 84 push ups, 86 sit-ups and run the two mile in 12:00.

The army considered him more physically fit than I was based on those stats.

Then we hit the real world.  Out in the field he was almost useless during setup or tear down.  He couldn't carry half the equipment we had to move around in the field.

I could throw a 90+ lb reel of CX11230 cable on my shoulder and hump it 200 or 300 yards to a site.  He couldn't carry one side of it with another person doing the lifting on his side.   He couldn't drive a 5 ft ground rod with a sledge hammer.  After a few swings he just couldn't lift it any more.  I could manually lift and maneuver a generator trailer to get it positioned, there was no way he could lift it, let alone move it if he did get the tongue up.  I could throw him over my shoulder and carry him easily.  He could drag me a few feet by one of my legs in an emergency but that was about it.

Fitness is such a generic term and doesn't apply to all situations equally.    I like the ideal that fitness is individual and not measured by reps or numbers or time. 

This is an interesting concept at Zombifit and I really like the idea.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
Don't forget rule 1.

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
This sounds like they have simply adopted and zombified the CrossFit mantra. I started doing CrossFit recently and it is seriously kicking my ass. In a good way.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »
awesome!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
WOD based stuff is all the rage.

Military Athelete is a site with a lot of Afghanistan (Mountian) prep as well as Range Focused PT (stress shoots) and Selection prep (Ranger School, SFAS, etc).
http://militaryathlete.com/

Mountain Athelete is designed for climbers that dont always have access to things to climb.  Looks like good training for technical climbers or for people who walk up mountains with heavy things (soldiers) as opposed to climbing climbing.
http://www.mtnathlete.com/

-Chem

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
I can't speak to the niche programs for soldiers, etc., but the chances are that all of the functional movements that you would encounter in ZombiFit or a similar program will be covered in a CrossFit class, and there is very likely a CrossFit affiliate near you.

Just click your state on the left-hand sidebar.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/