Author Topic: The Cane for Self-defense  (Read 21180 times)

Mental Avenger

The Cane for Self-defense
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »
Recently I have researching using a walking cane for self defense.  After 6 knee operations and a total knee replacement, I sometimes use a cane for support when my knees are not feeling their best.  As it turns out, there is a real art to using the cane for self defense.

Here is an except from a website about cane self-defense.   http://www.donrearic.com/cane1.html

The Cane for Self-defense
Many people do not like the walking cane for Self-defense because it does not go along with their age, attire or, they simply do not want to be associated with someone who may be disabled. They do not wish to have the stigma that is often associated with the cane.
There is a strength in that appearance. The strong appearing to be weak might be all the edge you need in a lot of physical confrontations. That’s a "Combat Ruse." A young attacker who is strong might make the incredible mistake of thinking you are easy prey, to find out all too late that you’re not.
The Cane gives even more reach than the average telescoping baton in some cases and is legal in more areas than that weapon.
Perhaps the greatest strength of all is in the presentation. The Cane is already "drawn." You can strike immediately with it. There is an old saying in Gun Circles, "The fastest draw is to have the gun in your hand when the trouble starts." This applies to the knife as well, and the stick. The strength of the Cane is, it is a Cane! It’s not a gun or a knife, it is already out in the open and you can strike instantly with it.
Besides learning all of the angles of attack and the methods (lobtik, witik, abanico, etc.) in the Filipino Martial Arts, there are a few strikes that can be taken from Hanbojutsu. Japanese Cane [half staff, three feet long] techniques.

Here is the site where I bought a self-defense cane.  I bought the Raw Stock Cane, so that I could finish it the way I want.  http://www.canemasters.com/

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: The Cane for Self-defense
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
Also one of the only viable weapons that will pass a TSA checkpoint. I am still a little young for a cane, but any time I am in the woods I have a walking stick. I have made a half dozen or so, most with some paracord wraps.

I have looked into the cane as a SD measure - the only thing is I would tend to carry it in my strong hand - which is also my gun side. If I carried a stick regularly, I would need to use it on my left to keep my right free.

In addition to smoking a pipe, Sherlock Holmes was an expert at French stick fighting.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »
I ordered a Raw Stock Cane in Hickory from Cane Masters.

Then I shaped the horn, sanded the cane smooth, and stained it with Golden Oak stain.  I added some cat’s eyes, and this is the result.  I tried the cat’s eyes horizontal and vertical, but I liked this look the best.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:17:04 PM by Hare of Caerbannog »

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
Also one of the only viable weapons that will pass a TSA checkpoint. I am still a little young for a cane, but any time I am in the woods I have a walking stick.

I broke my leg in a car wreak a few years ago and walk with a cane for several months even after I was out of the walking cast. The standard Walgreens / CVS aluminum cane does make a good weapon.  You dont have to be to young for a cane, just tell TSA your trick knee is acting up from that old football injury.  I still keep mine in my car, just in case.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
I think that an aluminum cane would not be good for self defense.  One hard strike and it would fold, making it useless or even a hindrance.  Also, it might not be possible to get a metal cane onto a commercial aircraft, while wooden canes are usually allowed.

If you want self defense in your car, buy a steering wheel locking bar.  They don’t protect your car from being stolen, but they do make an effective club.  That is why the original was called The Club, and even had a handgrip on one end.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
Good thread MA.
How much did the blank run you with shipping?

Mental Avenger

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Thanks.
The Raw Stock cane cost $24.95 plus $14.00 shipping for a total of $38.95.  I got the 37” version.  They have available 32” to 40”, but anything over 37” cost extra.   I also got the one with the long tip in plain hickory.
http://www.canemasters.com/raw-stock-cane-p-293.html

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »
I never thought about decorating a cane. I woodburned various animals all over my walking stick one day (boredom causes me to do some strange things) and I really like the way it turned out. I've got my Grandfathers old dogwood cane hanging on my wall, maybe I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
I think that an aluminum cane would not be good for self defense.  One hard strike and it would fold, making it useless or even a hindrance.  Also, it might not be possible to get a metal cane onto a commercial aircraft, while wooden canes are usually allowed.

If you want self defense in your car, buy a steering wheel locking bar.  They don’t protect your car from being stolen, but they do make an effective club.  That is why the original was called The Club, and even had a handgrip on one end.

Metal Canes, crutches, walkers and wheelchairs are allowed past TSA checkpoints. They just have to be inspected first.  Wood vs aluminum, tough call I used both when my leg was broken and the metal on seem to support my weight better.  I would say from a thefts point of view, if I had a "Club" in my hand then the person would automatically be more offensive, however if i just had a cane he would not assume it was a defensive weapon and just think he had pick an easy target ( until I knocked him upside the head with it )

Mental Avenger

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »
The Cane Self Defense folks have done a lot of testing.  You might want to get their opinion if you are interested.  Hickory and Oak are very strong. 

Recently I was throwing away some branches that I had cut from a tree in my back yard last year.  I was cutting them into smaller pieces to fit into the trash bin in the alley.  One section was about 4 ft long and 1-1 ½ inches in diameter, too big for the pruning sheers.  So I swung it hard down across a fence post to break it.  It didn’t break.  I tried again even harder, and it didn’t break.  So I saved three of those branches.  Later I peeled off the bark and the wood underneath was beautiful  Turns out it is white ash.  That stuff is really strong.  I’ll post photos when I get a chance.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
...  Turns out it is white ash.  That stuff is really strong.  ...

Like a baseball bat.
That's one of the favored woods for bats.

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 08:37:30 AM »
if you already have  a concealed carry license

http://budk.com/Self-Defense/Sword-Canes

Offline TigerDragon

• Prepper
  • Observation, Awareness, Planning, Action
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »
My first martial arts seminar was a cane seminar held by Papasan (Ed Martin) with the Arkansas Bujinkan Training Group.  His description of the cane is "it is a hanbo 'with attitude.'"  The 'attitude' is the hook on the end.  The canes we worked with were wood, but the hook came to a carved edge.  Techniques included typical striking and grappling, but the move I remember best was one he dubbed a "brother-in-law hold" that might be used when dealing with a belligerent drunken relative (just an example.)  The move ends up hooking the leg (if you're nice) or higher up (if you aren't.)  I came away from that seminar with a crow's foot shaped bruise from practicing that one technique on the inside of my leg near my knee.

Good times.

If you get a cane with a hook, try to find one where the hook comes to an edge.  The O.P. looks like the cane posted has an edge.  The shepherds crook posted later comes to a flat stop.  It can still be used, but it doesn't present as many possible methods of defense or manipulation as a hook with an edge.

Just another take on an old gentleman's every day carry...

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
Good hickory canes of variuos lengths are often available in feed stores for just a few dollars.  They are very sturdy and can be finished to your needs. 

I used a torch to burn patterns on the one below.  I also opened up the crook by steaming it a bit to accomodate my own particular style.  Many people like the crooks closed up tight and you can do that too.

I put a crutch tip on the bottom.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
I cleaned up the thread a bit and got rid of the dead links.

Howard Wallace, +1 on your karma from me. That's a great way of saving some bucks and having a nice hickory cane.
I need to go check the feed stores!

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Canes are definitely great defensive tools. I was much better with them before I actually needed them, but I can still handle them well enough. You can find a lot of good instruction materials via the internet. (Cane Masters, various Hap Ki Do instructors, etc.) Also, a lot of defensive instructors have cane techniques in their repertoires these days. I've purchase cane stock from Cane Masters several times and used to have stock canes also. Both are good options. I would stay away from drug store canes for defense. They never seemed strong enough to support me so I wouldn't choose them for defense or general use. Have fun training and customizing.

Pat

Offline Rummy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »
On the subject of defensive cane, Michael Janich, one of the experts on "The Best Defense,"  produced a very good video on the subject a few years ago titled, "Martial Cane Concepts - A Realistic System of Walking Stick Self Defense." 

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
There was a thread a couple years ago that covered the cane and going through the airport with it.  It was under the subject:  "Airline friendly carry gear? "

Perhaps these could be combined or cross-referenced?

The Professor

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
There was a thread a couple years ago that covered the cane and going through the airport with it.  It was under the subject:  "Airline friendly carry gear? "

Perhaps these could be combined or cross-referenced?

The Professor
I didn't want to combine them but I did post a link in the thread you mentioned.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=8793.0

So now, both threads each have a link to the other.

Offline mokume

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
About 25 years ago my father had hip surgery. We went and found a nice strong walking stick and then added at the top where his hand went a brass knob out of a plow horse harness. It fit his hand well and with the extra weight it would definetely get someones attention.

Offline openeyes1984

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 02:43:46 AM »
if you already have  a concealed carry license

http://budk.com/Self-Defense/Sword-Canes

That would depend on the state you're in. Many only allow concealed carry permits to apply to handguns.

Offline Shadow Survivor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »
+1 on TigerDragon's comments re Ed Martin and cane design. I have been privileged to train with Master Martin on several occasions and have at least four of his canes and several of his training videos sitting around the house. A key design feature not already mentioned is to have the hook wide enough and long enough to wrap around the neck and hook on the chin as you yank up the lever end. Had to smile as I typed that! FYI, I have one stained with black walnut polyurethane and a rubber tip which passes all tests of legality with my bum knee. Never really attracts any attention as the carved ones would.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »

I have to use a cane to walk (spinal and hip disease). I have been using the Walgreens style aluminum ones. They're actually pretty strong. I've smacked it against the corner of my exterior brick wall once out of anger and yeah it put a dent in it, but not even close enough to being so bad I couldn't use it. I've been using it for about a year since, and no stress issues where the dent/crook is and the cane still serves me well.

My biggest concern with getting a cane with a wide hook is the same reason I don't use the cheap canes with hook handles. I put a lot of weight leaning on my cane. My current cane is a flat handled, foam covered design. Anything else I've used (the hook style) has bruised the hell out of my hands in a couple days worth of walking. Any suggestions on how to get around that? I think that even a ball style brass handle would hurt after awhile.