Author Topic: Homemade Power Wagon  (Read 34504 times)

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
Homemade Power Wagon
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:04:40 AM »
Power Wagon

I made this to haul firewood from my splitting area to my stacking area. It's really quite simple to do and doesn't require any perminant modifications to the snowblower. 6 bolts and a belt change to convert it back.

I removed the blower assembly from the "traction" unit (6 bolts) and removed the belt that drives the blower. What I was left with was essectially a 2-wheeled tractor. I fabricated a deck with large caster wheels and bolted it to the tractor unit using the existing bolt holes. It looks more complicated than it is due to the fact I was using materials on-hand rather than fabricating everything from scratch.

It handles just like a shopping cart. Not pictured is the simple wood box that sits on the deck to hold the firewood splits.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact snowblowers do NOT have air filters. If you are going to use it in the non-snow times of the year, get one. The life of the engine will be considerably shortened without it.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: Homemade Power Wagon
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
Thats sweet, and a great idea for those who don't have a small trailer or truck to move stuff.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
OK, this will work great on my DR brush mower.

+1 for giving me another project.  ::)

The DR attachments attach via a pin and tube, making this even easier than the snowblower conversion. I'm also picturing a powered wheel barrel.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
OK, this will work great on my DR brush mower.

+1 for giving me another project.  ::)

The DR attachments attach via a pin and tube, making this even easier than the snowblower conversion. I'm also picturing a powered wheel barrel.

Hmmmm....might be a market for a wagon attachment for those mowers. I'll have to think about that one.  ;)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »
Man that is slick.

Nobody owns a snowblower down here to do it with :(

Offline jbm555

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »

Very, very clever.  We don't usually get enough snow here to justify a snow blower.  However, this gives me some ideas (powered wheel barrow for moving dirt/mulch/rocks) and I think I'll try to keep my eye out for a used one. 

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
I'm glad this thread got bumped, I forgot to add that many snowblowers never came equipped with air filters and could lead to premature failure if operated in dirty conditions

Offline cdnshooter

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »

"Balkan Harley"

Roto tiller + wagon = family transport!

Cheers,

Ben

Joel

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
"Balkan Harley"

Roto tiller + wagon = family transport!

Hah!  Back twenty years ago when I was there, those were common as anything in China.  First few I saw damn near scared me to death, but they grow on you.

Offline tomh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Learning through trial and error
    • INCHING DOWN THE ROAD TO SELF-RELIANCE
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:20 PM »
I was in Madagascar and saw a lot of make-shift transportation carriers, every tracker I saw was in pieces rusting on the side of the road. The small engine equipment had purpose and got used. This guy would deliver firewood.