Author Topic: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes  (Read 61511 times)

Offline nukehayes

• Prepper
Re: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
Love my KSOs, had em for close to a year now.

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 03:47:43 AM »
ordered two pairs for me and a pair for hubby :)

It's been suggested that they and a switch to forefoot style travel could help with some of the Fibromyalgia symptoms I experience.  It's worth giving a try, and since they're better for you over anyway, might as well get them.

Also, they look just crazy enough to be awesome.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 05:36:16 AM »
Started wearing them for workouts (not running) about two weeks ago.  Seems pretty good so far, it is smoking the hell out of my calves.  Will post again after a few weeks.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
I'm looking at a pair of the Bilkas (sp) the running model for the spring next year so I can start doing longer runs in them.  More padding the the KSO's I have now which are great for running errands etc.

Offline Agmundr

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
Another KSO user here, and I'm very happy with them.  I have a lot of knee pain from running, but running in these gets rid of the majority of it.  I haven't lifted weights in them yet, but I fully intend to soon.

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
A couple of weeks of wearing the five fingers and I'm loving them.

I'm wearing them for a couple of hours a day, and the calf pain is fading.

Offline a prepper priest

• Prepper
  • Spreading the word in Woonsocket, RI.
    • The OrthoAnalytika Podcast
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
I've been wearing them (KSO's) for almost two years now.  My only complaint is that the stitching is coming out around the toes.  I alternate them with Sockwa Black Amphibians (same minimalist concept, but without the toe separation - this makes it easier to wear with socks in the winter) and, for work, Soft Star ramblers (great leather minimalist moccasin).

The best thing?  Feeling the ground beneath my feet.
The next best thing?  No back pain (that would be the best thing if I remembered what back pain was like!).

Here are the Sockwas:
http://www.sockwa.com/collections/amphibian/products/black-amphibian

Here are the Soft Stars:
http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1814

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Damn my big feet LOL.   I wear 15/16 in normal shoes and run about 14 in "Tight" athletic stuff.   I can't get the vibrams because they don't make them in my size, I was hoping someone made something that would fit me but those amphibians are too small too.   I am going to make my own set of moccasins to replace my old pair that is worn through some day, but I really wanted something with the good thin vibram soal.   I'll keep looking.

Great info by the way.  Thanks for posting it.

Doc

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:24 AM »
I have a pair of the KSO's.  Like them a lot.  When people ask, I tell them it was a graduation gift from ninja school.  :D

I've stolen that line and used it a dozen times already.  Thanks Oni!  I did a scavenger hunt in my KSO's 2 weekends ago, best move I made, that and wearing a bathing suit.  (Long story), but because I'm still not used to a lot of road running in them I had sore ankles for a day and a half.  tread carefully people. 

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »
I've been wearing them (KSO's) for almost two years now.  My only complaint is that the stitching is coming out around the toes.

Considering how fast running shoes wear out, two years in em sounds pretty good to me.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 05:46:43 AM »
     I've wanted a pair (or three) of these for a long while, but my wife says I'd never be allowed to wear them in public because i'd "look like an alien"  lol  >:(

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:33 AM »
My family had a similar thought but after I explained them my grans partner tried hubby's pair on. He is now going to get a few pairs for himself.

They even gave me money for another pair as my Christmas present :)

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Considering how fast running shoes wear out, two years in em sounds pretty good to me.

Unless you are a barefoot runner, you definitely need to get used to them.  Your body is just not used to using all of its muscles, tendons and bones in the lower leg.  If you run a lot, plan on only doing .5-1 mile for a couple of weeks before you start going for longer runs.  If you start to feel pain and fatigue to the point you start landing flat of on your heels stop and start walking.  That's how I gauge how long my runs are. Eventually you will build up your lower leg to do those long runs.  A good buddy of mine just ran the Chicago Marathon in them and is running the Indy in a couple of weeks.  BTW  you will run faster with these on your feet.  I normally run a 7:30 pace with regular running shoes and I run a 7:00 pace with my VFF.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:27 AM »
Had been mulling for awhile.  Pulled the trigger yesterday after trying on multiple pairs the last few weeks.  Went with the Komodosport LS.  They are the most expensive one, but got them 20% off.  Tried on KSO, Sprint, Bikila, but they all had one or two odd feelings such as binding toes, seams, etc. that were not usually helped by going up a size.  Tried on the 42 and they were tight all over, but the 43 feels like a snug little piece of heaven caressing my feet.  I have flatter, wider duck feet and they feel wonderful.  Not a runner, but want to get back into shape.  Ran for about 20 minutes last night and it felt like my feet were almost naked.  My calves hate me, but they are recovering fine.  My feet felt perfectly good during and after the run and do not hurt at all today.  I will continue to run every other day for the next few weeks and slowing build up my distance and frequency.  I might also try some trail running in spring.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
  Not a runner, but want to get back into shape.  Ran for about 20 minutes last night and it felt like my feet were almost naked.  My calves hate me, but they are recovering fine.  My feet felt perfectly good during and after the run and do not hurt at all today.  I will continue to run every other day for the next few weeks and slowing build up my distance and frequency.  I might also try some trail running in spring.

Good luck with them- status report in the spring is expected!

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
My calves felt like they were stuffed with ripe grapefruit till friday.  One post-Thanksgiving food coma later, and I will run again in them tonight.  I play sand volleyball on Wednesday nights and was able to stretch well enough that they didn't bother me during the game, but the next morning they were mad.  Calves till feel tight today, but continue to stretch.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Two years ago I had been so fed up with foot and lower leg pain that I got custom orthotics fit. They worked for a while but then I noticed that as the day wore on I would take the orthotics out and just wear my sneakers and then just take the sneakers off and go about in my socks. I am a personal trainer, btw, in a small gym so I was able to do this. I finally made the switch to VFFs just about 18 months ago. I wore them all day every day right from the start. Being on my feet all day, I held off on running, I could totally feel my calves stretching as I wore them. At night my calves would tighten up but within a few minutes of walking around they were good again. Running caused my calves to tighten up as I would run on the balls of my feet. But then I read Barefoot Running Step by Step by Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton and figured out what I was doing wrong. I was "staying' on the balls of my feet instead of letting my toes and heel land and absorbing by using my 'springs.'

They are the only thing I wear except last winter I wore snowboots to get from home to car and into work and house. I have a larger pair with 'felt' (?) on the top that I wear with socks when it starts getting cold. I usually wear KSOs. I am going to try to wear them more this winter. I wore them even during down pours this spring and summer. I sometimes would take them off and carry them to the car so they wouldnt get soaked but then I realized getting them wet while wearing wasn't so bad. I just dont like putting them on if they are wet before my feet get into them.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
I think learning how to run will help.  I will check out the book.

Offline Jonathon January

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »
I would love to try these, but I can never find my size and it's not a "normal" size according to the store.   It's also my understanding that you have to try them on to get an accurate fit.   

I've got a knee injury and it's my understanding that these are supposed to be better for knee injuries as you start to run on the balls of your feet.   Has anyone else heard this or is it a misnomer?

I feel your pain! I've tried to find a pair that fit but my toes are to fat for "my size"  and the next size up there's to much room left over in the toes.  It makes me sad, I'd love to have them. After four years of wearing flip flops almost 365 days a year shoes don't feel right anymore. Also I've played around with walking through the woods barefoot and I LOVE it but id like to have some protection from sharp sticks and rocks.

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
city sports has theirs on sale right now. 20-50% off + free shipping

Offline JCG

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
I bought some of the Merrell barefoots for me and my wife we love them and i have noticed that my leg and foot strength as well as balance have all improved a great deal. My calf and ankle muscles were very soar for about a week after wearing them everyday. I highly recommend them...
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Trail-Glove-Barefoot-Running/dp/B0050CJ7VG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322851141&sr=8-1

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »
Loving the kangaroo leather performa, they're so soft and comfortable

Offline Wrekz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »
I'm partial to the New Balance Minimus.  I've gotten a great fit and I don't have to worry about getting each toe in it's own spot.  Plus you get the benefit of having a normal looking shoe

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
I have no problems getting toes into the correct holes, they just slide right in.

And who is to say what is normal?

Offline Wrekz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
My intention was not to define normal.  I've just met far more people that hate the look of those shoes than enjoy them.  That includes a lot of people who wear them. 

That being said, those people continue to wear them because the comfort far outweighs the aesthetics. 

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
I don't care for how they look but now that I have some and wear them, and they are as comfortable as being barefoot, I don't judge them anymore, either.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
1. Do they come in wide sizes for wide feet?

2. Do you have to wear those five-fingered socks with them or does everyone simply slip them straight onto their bare feet? I would imagine you would have to wear the socks with them as one would with any shoe but I don't see them in the videos. (I'm thinking of how it turns out when I don't wear socks with regular shoes/sneakers. That never works out well, ya know.)

I'll have to go by my local REI store and check them out.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
I have duck feet and they fit me fine.  Try on a few of the sizes and styles.  I still have a little bit of room in the toes, but don't feel anything akward.

I don't wear socks and they are machine washable.  My insole in one of them comes out easily, but goes back in easily.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:59 AM »
I have duck feet and they fit me fine.

So that's not just an avatar, then.

I don't wear socks and they are machine washable.  My insole in one of them comes out easily, but goes back in easily.

Ah! They have an insole. That makes sense. I thought they were all just one piece of molded material or something.

I will have to try these.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
I just have wide, flatter feet.  If they were actual duck feet, that would be pretty cool.  I guess you can say I have platypus feet.