Author Topic: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes  (Read 61512 times)

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
1. Do they come in wide sizes for wide feet?

2. Do you have to wear those five-fingered socks with them or does everyone simply slip them straight onto their bare feet? I would imagine you would have to wear the socks with them as one would with any shoe but I don't see them in the videos. (I'm thinking of how it turns out when I don't wear socks with regular shoes/sneakers. That never works out well, ya know.)

I'll have to go by my local REI store and check them out.

I would recommend you give them a try. I've owned a pair for well over a year now.  You don't have to wear them with socks but most of the newer styles have plenty of room to wear some of the injinji socks which are made for wear with the Five fingers shoes. Just like with shoes they stay a bit fresher if you wear socks with them. But like other posters have stated you can also wash them if they get funky.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
Update

Well, I have been running 2-3 times per week for the last 3-4 weeks.  Needed to get throught the holidays first.  Still play sand volleyball weekly and go skiing every Sunday.  My feet feel alot better now and the calves don't hurt as much, but with the small amount I run, they still have a tendency to cramp if I run too fast or too far.  Getting farther and faster, just not very fast.  For the first 2 weeks, my ankles were the real problem.  I have glass ankles anyway from rolling them so much when I played soccer.  They usually hurt for the first 5 or so minutes, but tend to settle.  They don't bother me anymore, now it is my toes that are bothering me. Usually that night after a run, but by the next morning they are fine.  Maybe too much tension when I run.  I have tried to alter my style so that my heels do hit with the rest of my foot.  My calves are still sore the next day, but I am stretching them out all the time.  I will continue to run and post again in another month or so.  Hopefully I can run more often, but that darn life gets in the way sometimes.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
Update

All foot and ankle pain is gone with continuing to run 2-3 times per week.  There is minor soreness in my calves the next day, but I attribute that to going a little further every run.  Once I get to my standard distance, I will stay there and try to increase my speed and post another update.  These shoes force you to run differently or it will hurt, but I feel better running this way and have a little more "bounce" when running.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Update

All foot and ankle pain is gone with continuing to run 2-3 times per week.  There is minor soreness in my calves the next day, but I attribute that to going a little further every run.  Once I get to my standard distance, I will stay there and try to increase my speed and post another update.  These shoes force you to run differently or it will hurt, but I feel better running this way and have a little more "bounce" when running.

Great to hear that you stuck with it and are enjoying your 5 fingers. Many people experience the initial discomfort and quit on the shoe without really giving a real chance.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
FYI, last years 'colors and styles' are on sale at deep discounts. I am sure selection varies by location and I think it depends on what is being disconttinued. I got a pair of the KSO's in gray/pink for $55.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
FYI, last years 'colors and styles' are on sale at deep discounts. I am sure selection varies by location and I think it depends on what is being disconttinued. I got a pair of the KSO's in gray/pink for $55.

Where are you seeing these sales? I could use a another pairs.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 05:00:29 AM »
I just went to my local shoe store that carries them and was asking about colors and the salesman pointed out the sales. I was actually looking to pick up some socks for my 'winter pair'. Just ask or check out the prices. They were marked on sale, just not an advertised sale.

The ones on sale were the KSO's - not good for winter weather so that may be part of it.

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
I just went to my local shoe store that carries them and was asking about colors and the salesman pointed out the sales. I was actually looking to pick up some socks for my 'winter pair'. Just ask or check out the prices. They were marked on sale, just not an advertised sale.

The ones on sale were the KSO's - not good for winter weather so that may be part of it.

Darn I'm switching to the Komodos for my next pair since I think the KSOs I have come up a bit short at times for me.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
still check it out. you might get 'last years color combo' at a discount.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
Got my first pair of KSO's today. 'saw them on sale and just had to do it.

Absolutely love'em.

I have wide feet and have always had problems finding a comfortable shoe with a good fit. I had to try a couple pair to get the right fit, but I wore them for several hours just walking around shopping today (lawn stuff, groceries, car maintenance) and it was fantastic. They just conformed to my feet and I had good traction for the most part. I did find a slick spot on some wet tile where they slid a bit, so...this is not industrial-strength no-slip footwear.

They were on my feet when I bought them and stepped out of the store. I walked across an asphalt parking lot (granted its March and not yet August) and didn't feel the heat. I stepped on the grass on one of the parking lot dividers and it was like I could feel every blade of grass. Climbing into the truck, I knew driving was going to be a little different with five-fingered shoes. I pulled out of my parking spot and headed out into the street and I could feel exactly where my foot was touching the petal, like I could almost scrunch my toes and grab the petal with my foot.

;D

They are definitely going to require a little more acclimation but I am thoroughly enjoying them. I think I sold at least three other people on them as they saw me wearing them and commented, saying how cool they looked. I couldn't have asked for a more priceless look from the guy at the car parts store if I had walked in with an octopus stuck to my face.

I walked up my sidewalk and stopped to pull a weed using my toes. I flicked it into a waste can with my foot. I didn't even have to set my groceries down. I got a kick out of being able to do that.

:)

Anyway, lovin' my new Vibran five-fingers.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »
Truik-

Welcome to the wierd side.  ;D

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
Best feeling footwear I have found thus far.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
I want a pair so bad, but until they make a 15/16 I'm out of luck.   :'(  My wife tried a pair last week and liked them but just couldn't bring herself to buy them.   She likes open sandals and wanted to find a pair of hiking sandals). 

If anyone EVER sees a notice that they are making them that big.  Let me know RIGHT AWAY.  LOL

Offline Cullie

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
I want a pair so bad, but until they make a 15/16 I'm out of luck.   :'(  My wife tried a pair last week and liked them but just couldn't bring herself to buy them.   She likes open sandals and wanted to find a pair of hiking sandals). 

If anyone EVER sees a notice that they are making them that big.  Let me know RIGHT AWAY.  LOL

Docwatmo,

I have size 15 with EEE width and this is the limits to the show according to their site, however I've noticed some give. You may want to find a "large" pair and just see what it feels like.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/faq/

I love mine for running, my knee pain is basically gone.

Cullie

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
Last I checked I thought they only made them to size 12.   I can probably squeeze into a 15.  Gonna have to look at them again.  Totally COOL!

Offline jlesniak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »
I've been a big fan of Vibram's for the 3 or so years I've owned mine. I don't wear them as much as I did, as I know workout at a gym that lets me go barefoot. Recently I picked up a pair of Zem shoes - http://www.zemgear.com/ - Their XXL size says it will work for size 15 feet. I've only had the Zems for a week or so but it's like wearing a rigid sock. Plus they're half the price of anything else.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
I was all over the vibram site yesterday and could not find anything bigger than a 12 3/4.   Could you link me to them?

I'm checking out the zengear now.   Thanks

Offline Cullie

• Prepper
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2012, 09:18:58 PM »
I was all over the vibram site yesterday and could not find anything bigger than a 12 3/4.   Could you link me to them?

I'm checking out the zengear now.   Thanks

Just figured out the issue for you. The sizing is not US sizing, but in inches. If you go to the site they tell you how to determine your sizing using a tape measure and a wall.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Offline YoungPrepper

• Prepper
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »
A friend of mine swears by these shoes. I have yet to make the leap however for her birthday we gave her a product called the shoe fogger. It helps with the smell. She now raves about the shoe fogger. It might be something to check out.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2012, 06:47:54 AM »
12 1/2 inches.   I'll have to go back and try again. 

THANKS

Doc

endurance

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
I know this is a bit off topic, but that said, I think it's safe to assume most on this thread have read Born to Run and feel a kinship with Caballo Blanco.  http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20282336/boulder-ultrarunner-micah-true-missing-after-going-run

Sending some positive vibes his way and hoping he's just having the run of his life.

Offline Cullie

• Prepper
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »
I know this is a bit off topic, but that said, I think it's safe to assume most on this thread have read Born to Run and feel a kinship with Caballo Blanco.  http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20282336/boulder-ultrarunner-micah-true-missing-after-going-run

Sending some positive vibes his way and hoping he's just having the run of his life.

Unfortunately they found his body.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/micah-true-ultrarunners-body-found-mexicos-wilderness/story?id=16048218#.T3kOnR3qWPI

endurance

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
I love these shoes for walking, but any amount of running messes up my feet. I used to run with them on concrete and got stress fractures on the balls of my feet. The new ones with better padding are probably better for road running.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »
I wouldnt want to run on concrete with them. I'm trying to think why you would run on concrete. Do you mean a sidewalk? I guess most of ours are paved with hot top. Read the book 'Barefoot Running' by Ken Bob Saxton and work on your running form. I had someone ask me last night about these (I wear them constantly) and he was thinking he would run in them once per week to get used to them (about 4 miles). He usually runs every day. I told him to run 1/2 mile in them and then switch out to sneaks for the rest of his run and do that for a couple of days then slowly increase the distance he runs in them.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Most of the roads here in Germany are made out of concrete, at least the roads on base. I learned the hard way to use shoes that my feet are used to while road running. I might try the run and switch. Thanks.

I wouldnt want to run on concrete with them. I'm trying to think why you would run on concrete. Do you mean a sidewalk? I guess most of ours are paved with hot top. Read the book 'Barefoot Running' by Ken Bob Saxton and work on your running form. I had someone ask me last night about these (I wear them constantly) and he was thinking he would run in them once per week to get used to them (about 4 miles). He usually runs every day. I told him to run 1/2 mile in them and then switch out to sneaks for the rest of his run and do that for a couple of days then slowly increase the distance he runs in them.

Offline dk1138

• Prepper
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »
Have the KSO's and like them very much.  I did some serious training in them and tweaked my Achilles tendon doing hard intervals in prep. for a military fitness test. 

Right now, I mostly run in other "barefoot" type shoes... Merrill Barefoot and Mizuno Wave Universe 3.  A lighter/flatter shoe is a huge help for all the reasons mentioned. 

My advice on the VFF's is to take it easy at first and really build up slowly.  Esp. if you have a leg-length discrepancy or are learning a lighter style of running. 

Still, a great shoe and awesome for barefoot nature stuff, trail running, hopping in and out of boats, etc. 

David

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
Update

Another update

No more pain and all in all I feel that my body has adjusted to a newer running style that feels lighter and more natural.  I also seem to be lighter when I am walking around.  People at work think I am "sneaking" up on them all the time.  They figure a guy who weighs almost 250 should be stomping around.

It is also acceptable to wear them for Krav Maga classes, but I still find myself going barefoot unless we go outside.

Overall I am very pleased with them and they are holding up to the pounding very well.  I would like to run more often, but with Krav classes 3 times a week and sand volleyball starting up, I will just have to find the time later.

Offline bigro21

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
I have a pair of the KSO's.  Like them a lot.  When people ask, I tell them it was a graduation gift from ninja school.  :D

My Friend tells me I look Like a Ninja Turtle in Mine. I have Black KSO Treks for about 1 year, Great shoes/,err sneakers. umm monkey feet.... WHatever.
 My girlfriend now has two Pairs. one for wearing daily and one for muddy adventures.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Mine stunk like a dead skunk crawling out of the ass of another dead skunk before I washed them.  Only complaint so far.

And my brother gives me crap every time he sees them, but that is his job.

On a side note, I did some running on something other than blacktop this last weekend and it did a number on my calves.  The lack of consistency really forces you to focus and gave those muscles more work to do to balance while running vs. just running straight ahead.