Author Topic: Camping with the little one  (Read 5887 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Camping with the little one
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »
This past weekend was the "Mom and Me" campout with the Cub Scouts. Meaning that Kristy and Draven were going to get to go camping and Toren and I could not go.

Frankly I was a little jealous. But a remedy struck me.  There is no reason we couldn't hit the woods ourselves.

This was Toren's first campout in a few years.  The boy is a handful, love him as I do.  For those of you that know Draven, Toren has a slightly... let's say... energetic personality.

When I ask him if he wanted to go camping, he was bouncing off the walls, though I am not sure he knew what I was taking about, but he has see photos of campouts that he did not get to go on, so who knows.

We packed up and headed out to BladeTx place

We were out there about ten minutes scouting out were we wanted to set up when he said.  "daddy, I'm hot, I want to go home"  Wrong foot I guess.  I had him help set of the tent and it seemed for the time being that the idea of going home was postponed.  He was having fun.

Just about as soon as we got the tent up we had some visitors. about 20 head of cattle, tow horse and a donkey

Toren and the Donkey made fast friends

after our visitors left Toren began exploring his surroundings

A bird flying through camp caught his attention. and the boy after my own heart stated that he wanted me to shoot a "Coo Coo bird" so we could eat him.  I talked him into going after a squirrel instead.

Have ya ever taken a three year old squirrel hunting? Yeah there is a reason why. Truth be told, he did great at first.  I told him to be quite and listen and he did.  we hear the squirrels start moving around again and you could see the spark in his eye. then one leaped from on tree to another nearby and into view

"DADDY!!!!!"

That was that.  We tried of a little while longer but there really was no point.  It turn into a walk in the woods and that was just as good by me.

we get back to camp and start a fire and get ready to have dinner sans squirrel, but the day is waring thin on the poor little guy.  he is wanting to go home again, I think without the full understanding that mom was not there.  All day he had been excited about sleeping in the tent, but not more.

I told him that after we ate and the fire burn down we would talk about going home, encouraging him that it would be fun sleeping in the tent.

Not long after the meal was done we had more visitors.  This time our host BladeTX and Mrs, BladeTX. again he was full of energy (a little too much energy) and having fun.

Soon after they left he was sapped and decided ti was time for bed.  I put him down for bed as I cleaned up camp and stowed the food and went to join him in the tent.

as soon as the first glimmer of sunlight broke through the trees, a piercing happy little voice trampled and echoed in my head

"DADDY!!! THE SUN IS UP!!!!"

It was time for breakfast and a good attitude reigned again.

Soon after breakfast we broke camp and took another walk. Later BladeTX came down to play.  That requires it own post. I'll just say that Toren was highly disappointed that he could not play with eh big knives too.

and a little snack of biltong before heading home.

I will not lie. The Boy ran me raggad. But I had a great time and I am pretty sure that he did too for the most part. Once we got home he was bouncing off the walls to tell his mother about how we went camping and he slept in a tent. Even the next morning the first words out of his mouth were about sleeping in the tent.  Even though he had some rough spots it seems and I hope that this was a positive experience for him. He says that he wants to go camping again soon. He will miss the Hoodlums fall gathering this week end, but I will have to make this happen soon.

Offline kgull85

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Camping with the little one
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Looks like fun, thanks for sharing.  How old is he?  See this make me want to take my boy camping some time now, he just turned 3.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »
He is 3

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
i have 2 girls = blood thursty monsters. 6-9 oh do i know the feeling. enjoy them while we can.

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
I have two boys, a 3 year old and 1 year old.  I took the 3 year old dove hunting this fall for the first time and he loved it.  He's noticed the difference in appearance between the shotgun and the rifle, and wanted to know what the rifle was for.  I told him it was for deer.  Now he wants to go deer hunting.  Just yesterday he was playing with play-doe and made a gun looking thing.  He said it was his gun and it went bang.  He says he is going to shoot a "dove deer" with it.  We haven't gone camping yet, but I can't wait for a good opportunity.  I know what you mean, he runs me ragged every time we do something together.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
about 3 the oldist love to go anywhere, deer hunting ment ,looking around and singing at the top of her lungs and beating the top of my head bloody.  never let them have a throwing hawk while riding on  top of you.
or come home from trapping and here she comes ,dead run grabs a ear of a real big coon throughs a leg ove and yells gettie up.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
Great thread!  Glad you pointed out the fact that tne three year old was well...    Three.   You just confirmed to me that its not too early to take my six year old out.  She knows the basics and have been showing her how to aim and she has been bugging about when will she be able to go with me when I go plinking...   Ive been putting it off because of work but ive really go to get a move on...

Thanks for the great story

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
Awesome drtthumbs! +1 for the pics and for doing something "that ran you ragged" but was so worth it. I think one of the best things you can do for your kids is take them camping.  We even "scheduled" dad and daughter time and they went together without me on a weekend camping trip once a year.  All the other weekends I was "allowed" to come with.  :D

A number of years ago I helped a friend with her pre-school and taught a pre-k class (4 yr. olds) for a couple of years.  Towards the end of the school year we always took a field trip.  I gave my class many options - the library for funtime, Chuckie Cheese's, the museum or a cookout picnic (hotdogs of course) and fishing.  Every hand went up for the fishing/cookout.  My dh took the day off and helped with the fishing (he also kept a bunch of 4 yr. olds from falling in the lake) . Later the kids told me over and over it was the best time ever.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
my girls fish , but this year i fixed a throw net up for them to try, an old 1 i found at the lake fixed the net and restrung in to there size , cheep fun for me . oh but the fun of teching them and the squels of joy when they figured it out and cought fish.
 they have learned to track on ther own i think , sharp eyes and blood thursty ,
if you show no fear they learn no fear. just  respect.

Offline grizzman

• Prepper
  • Enjoying coffee in a handmade mug while camping
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »
Cute kiddo. I love to take my boys camping and I start them young. We all watch Dual Survival or any of the other survival shows and recreate some of the skill sets in a controlled atmosphere. A couple years ago we were boat in camping on a very large remote lake. When our outboard died seven miles from our vehicle I made a test, challenge out of making it back without power. We made a  sail out of poly tarp, and rowed until our arms were past burned out. We made it to an island 1.5 miles from the launch at 30 minutes past sun down and made dinner and camp with flashlights. We could have called the ranger for help but we decided to do it ourselves. The boys were a little whiny at times during the trip but if you ask  them they still say that trip was the most fun they have ever had on the lake. I made them all award certifricates when we got home for courage and they put them on their bedroom walls. Sorry to get a little long winded but I am just so passionate about getting our kiddo's out camping, fishing, hunting, ect. Enjoy those little ones while we can they grow up so fast. God Bless

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing the stories of camping with your children. I really do find them inspirational.  I've also taken a lot of inspiration from Nutnfancy on YouTube when it comes to getting out with family and enjoying the outdoors.  Last year I went camping with my 11 month old son.  It was a quick and easy camping trip to a state park about 10 minutes from our house.  I'll get some pics and details up in a new post soon.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
Awesome!  I wish mine were young enough to go camping with.  Mine all go camping without me now.   :'(

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
I think it is easier taking them camping when they are younger, so it is just 'life as normal' for them. I started hiking with my daughter when she was 3 or 4 months old (she was born in November so the weather did not get better until later) and by the time she was 8 months old we were on 7 hour hikes twice a week (needed to get rid of some baby fat I did). And I know if we do not go out every few days or so, she gets to be a nag about it ("Mom.. we need to go hiking!!" -- and if I stop for too long on the trail she starts bouncing around in her pack, like she is kicking up a horse to get moving).

I took her camping for the first time for 3 days when she was 7 months (would have before if the weather had been nicer) and at 8 months were were up in the Santiam State Forest in Oregon tent camping and cooking over an open fire. I did have various heavy clothing for her at night and was prepared to sleep with her against me if it got too cold, but in reality she was getting sweaty from too heavy of clothing in her blankets.

She was not walking at the time, but could sit and crawl. We took a mat (I went camping with 2 of my female friends when the truck which was pulling their horse trailer broke and they were stranded there with the horses for a week until the truck was repaired, as they really wanted my 150 pound bear/cougar dog for protection).

On the mat we put her toys and her so she did not have to crawl around in the dirt.. and we had her sorting sticks and rocks. We also worked on calligraphy scrolls for a group we belong to (we are all scribes and illuminators) and had a nice peaceful time out there. When baby was not crawling around on the mat, I strapped her into her carseat and placed her on the table to socialize with us.

I know my family took us camping from the time we were little almost every weekend. I remember my little brother tied to a tree with a 10 ft rope to make sure he did not wander off anywhere and they kept him quiet with a tupperware with Cheerios in it.

My daughter, now that she is walking and she is 18 months and off to explore the world, now has the accessory of a sheep bell attached to her so I know where she is at all times. Like my parents, I may also attach her to a tree, when I am cooking or something. Even at a young age I know she is enjoying it.

We took minimal items.. our tent, a cooler, clothes and sleeping bags, my cast iron pan and a grate, as well as a small amount of baby items and toys. The rest of the stuff was my friends items from when they had been camping for the last week until the truck broke. I did also bring them 15 gallons of water as the water looked dicey out there.

Cedar

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
Camping with kids that young is hard on the body but good for the soul. I took my three year old daughter camping last weekend because her Mom was out of town. We were both completely worn out but had the best time ever. It's great getting out and enjoying nature, teaching youngsters, and getting away from day to day life. All week, I've been wishing I could be back there camping and fishing again.