Author Topic: Homemade Blackpowder Cleaning Solution Recipe  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
Homemade Blackpowder Cleaning Solution Recipe
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
I learned this from my civil war reinactor days. My unit used this all the time to clean our weapons after a long day of shooting. This is an awesome...AWESOME recipe to remove black powder residue from your firearm really quickly. Its equal parts Murphys Oil Soap, Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide. I dont know why or how it works it just does. As soon as it touches blackpowder it starts foaming and dissolving the stuff instantly! Its quite dramatic to see actually. My favorite trick was to put a wad of plastic bag over the nipple held down by the hammer and pour this stuff down the barrel. In a few seconds black powder foam will start shooting out the top and then just pour it out after a minute or two and most of your fouling has disappeared. Then run patches like normal and oil and youre done! Its so cheap too I used to fill a large tupperware container and just dunk a whole pistol in to clean them.

Major word of warning. This stuff is awesome at eating blackpowder but it is also equally awesome at eating bluing. DO NOT let the solution remain on the fiream longer than 5-10 minutes!!!! IF you do, you will soon have a layer of horrible, rusty sludge on your gun and the finish will be rusted and pitted. Be warned. Dissolve the powder off and then quickly wipe off the solution and oil the gun parts and it will be fine. I have personally ruined a replica 1858 Remington Army Revolver by letting it sit in the solution too long. Its a major timesaver but be VERY careful with it. You have been warned.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:31:38 PM by Spamity Calamity »
This is the coolest thing anybody has every said about me at anytime of my life:

There is no way I would find myself in a Zombie attack without you and
Bill by my side. I think you guys are the only two who do not hesitate
to kill and have better survival skills than most. ---Nicki

millerized1

Re: Homemade Blackpowder Cleaning Solution Recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
Google Ed's Red.
Won't destroy your stuff.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »
Google Ed's Red.
Won't destroy your stuff.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Meh. I dont shoot blackpowder anymore and Im not about to go to the hardware store to find "Aliphatic Mineral Spirits" when I could just mix up some quick effective cleaning solution from whats under my sink and it costs less than 2 dollars. Only caveat is you have to follow one warning which is dont leave it on the gun for a long time. Since I use many items everyday that requre you to pay attention to multiple things to operate effectively I think Ill take my chances.
This is the coolest thing anybody has every said about me at anytime of my life:

SwampMonster

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
Not sure how Ed's works on Black Powder but I do know it works as well as or better than the mighty Hoppes #9 for pennies.

swamp

millerized1

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
Not sure how Ed's works on Black Powder but I do know it works as well as or better than the mighty Hoppes #9 for pennies.

swamp
:o
Is that even legal to say?!!! Besides the karmic backlash? :o

Since Hoppe's changed the formula a few years back, even the smell is different. I'm just glad dad used to buy it in bulk.  There's enough to sniff, drink and clean with long after TSHTF! What's the joke about women using it as perfume to attract REAL MEN?

knight templar

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
Don't think Ed's will work on the black powder fouling as it needs to have something to attack the salt but I have used it after the first cleaning on muzzle loaders. Some I know use water soluble oil they get from machine tool suppliers. I mostly use boiling water followed by Ed's as I'm a cheap skate.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »
Yeah Ive used the hot water thing too to clean my barrels before. I thought it was a huge PITA but to each his own.

Offline guarddog1757

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
I know from my days of blackpowder shooting competition the easiest, cheapest and most effective solution I found for cleaning my smokepoles was simply windshield washer solution.  You always have some around and it won't damage the finish or metal on your firearm.
[/center

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
I shoot blackpowder firearms VERY often, doing cowboy action shooting. What I use to clean them, is Ballistol. You can get it at Midway, or Brownells, and probably at larger sporting stores.
If you use it straight it is a nice blackpowder friendly oil, that is non petroleum based. Thats very important, because any petroleum based oils tend to turn to a tar inside your gun, making cleanup a bear.
For cleaning, I mix about 1 part Ballistol to 7 parts water in a little spritz bottle. Ballistol will actually go into suspension in the water, making it look like milk. Then just spritz down the offending residue, and basically wipe off. Then oil with straight ballistol.
The nice part of this stuff, is that it is kind of like seasoning a cast iron skillet. The more you use it, the easier it seems to be to clean the firearms.
Rip
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:07:38 PM by RipTombstone »
Sole employee of Plum Creek Leather Works
Life member SASS
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »
I have found a gaggle of recipes that work well cleaning up BP, including the ones mentioned here.

The best secret though is .........HOT water. It works as well as anything else. I used good lube after washing and I am done in minutes.
Ballistol is great because it is water soluble....stinks like dirty socks though. I like good modern gun lube like Break Free, but Synthetic Motor Oil or Olive oil has worked well, in the short term.
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
James Madison

“The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.”
Thucydides (Ancient Greek historians and author, 460-404bc)

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
I use eds red and a 28 ga bore snake to clean my muzzle loader.  It works pretty good but there is always some residue right where the power ignites that I cannot get out.... working at finding something that will take it out.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
I have always had the best success with plain soap and water in my thompson center rifles