Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Homemade Blackpowder Cleaning Solution Recipe

(1/3) > >>

Spamity Calamity:
I learned this from my civil war reinactor days. My unit used this all the time to clean our weapons after a long day of shooting. This is an awesome...AWESOME recipe to remove black powder residue from your firearm really quickly. Its equal parts Murphys Oil Soap, Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide. I dont know why or how it works it just does. As soon as it touches blackpowder it starts foaming and dissolving the stuff instantly! Its quite dramatic to see actually. My favorite trick was to put a wad of plastic bag over the nipple held down by the hammer and pour this stuff down the barrel. In a few seconds black powder foam will start shooting out the top and then just pour it out after a minute or two and most of your fouling has disappeared. Then run patches like normal and oil and youre done! Its so cheap too I used to fill a large tupperware container and just dunk a whole pistol in to clean them.

Major word of warning. This stuff is awesome at eating blackpowder but it is also equally awesome at eating bluing. DO NOT let the solution remain on the fiream longer than 5-10 minutes!!!! IF you do, you will soon have a layer of horrible, rusty sludge on your gun and the finish will be rusted and pitted. Be warned. Dissolve the powder off and then quickly wipe off the solution and oil the gun parts and it will be fine. I have personally ruined a replica 1858 Remington Army Revolver by letting it sit in the solution too long. Its a major timesaver but be VERY careful with it. You have been warned.

millerized1:
Google Ed's Red.
Won't destroy your stuff.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Spamity Calamity:

--- Quote from: millerized1 on September 30, 2008, 08:15:27 PM ---Google Ed's Red.
Won't destroy your stuff.
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

--- End quote ---

Meh. I dont shoot blackpowder anymore and Im not about to go to the hardware store to find "Aliphatic Mineral Spirits" when I could just mix up some quick effective cleaning solution from whats under my sink and it costs less than 2 dollars. Only caveat is you have to follow one warning which is dont leave it on the gun for a long time. Since I use many items everyday that requre you to pay attention to multiple things to operate effectively I think Ill take my chances.

SwampMonster:
Not sure how Ed's works on Black Powder but I do know it works as well as or better than the mighty Hoppes #9 for pennies.

swamp

millerized1:

--- Quote from: SwampMonster on October 07, 2008, 03:05:48 PM ---Not sure how Ed's works on Black Powder but I do know it works as well as or better than the mighty Hoppes #9 for pennies.

swamp

--- End quote ---
:o
Is that even legal to say?!!! Besides the karmic backlash? :o

Since Hoppe's changed the formula a few years back, even the smell is different. I'm just glad dad used to buy it in bulk.  There's enough to sniff, drink and clean with long after TSHTF! What's the joke about women using it as perfume to attract REAL MEN?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version