Author Topic: Kel Tec Su 16  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Triple8

• Prepper
Kel Tec Su 16
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
Anyone own a Kel Tec SU 16C? I think it would be good little rifle especially for backpacking/survival rifle. More punch than a .22 LR but still fairly lite. Only reviews I have found were done by magazines and seemed more like a manufactures ad.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Kel Tec Su 16
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
Anyone own a Kel Tec SU 16C? I think it would be good little rifle especially for backpacking/survival rifle. More punch than a .22 LR but still fairly lite. Only reviews I have found were done by magazines and seemed more like a manufactures ad.

It is nice!  I'd like to get my grubby little hands on one!  I also like the "D" model, D9 & D12 (9" or 12").  $875.00 MSRP

Tim.
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
I have one. I got it on a fathers day sale out of a place in utah, and my local dealer ordered it and only charged me to do the paper work. I bought him lunch too. I haven't had a chance to realy shoot it alot, but the 50 or so shots I've taken with it have functioned flawlessly. I mounted a red dot scope on it and it has become the house gun until I get my Marlin .44 mag up and running. It is small and light and the folding stock works well. I bought it to take on trips. I really need to shoot it more to see if there are any bugs, but so far so good. It will also shoot with the stock folded. A 20 round mag works better for  this. My local guy problably wouldn't that for most, but I've bought alot of stuff through him over the years.

Offline Triple8

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
Thanks and I would love an update as you get more rounds through the rifle. Always curious about which ammunition functions well.

Greenjeans

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »
I recently picked up a 16A, just for the reasons you said, lightweight, compact,  folds into my back pack, $450.  Doesn't fire from the folded position though like a C.  Ran a couple of the stock 10 round mags through, functions fine.  I was concerned about durability; I'm not sure it was built for sustained fire, (no heat shields).  Factory says it's life expectancy is 6k rounds or more. But that's not what I anticipate using it for.  If I use it for what it's designed for I think it will work fine for me.    I need to put some optics on it and was looking for a few more magazines. 

I do love the weight or lack of same.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
Only 6,000 rounds? Is that when the barrel is shot out? That is low for a rifle inmo.

If that gun is anything like the KelTec Sub-2000, then it is worth it. My friend loves his Sub-2000. I want a Sub-2000 to go with my G17, but as always I do not have it in the budget. Then again I am a "gun nut" and I will never have enough. LOL

Greenjeans

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
The 6K figure came right from the Keltec website.  It does say "or more".  There's a lot of plastic in this machine, that's why it's so light.  Again from the factory they say "Except for barrel, bolt and mechanism the SU-16 is made entirely of high impact  reinforced polymer."  Polymer...plastic...whatever.  It still shoots fine and I love the compact lightweight design.   I can keep my skills sharp with a 10/22 and a brick or two of .22 lr to keep the mileage down on the 16a.

mwh

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
I like it!!!
Looks like a great trunk/truck gun.
Looks like it might  fit nice  in a duffle type bug out bag as well.

Nordic Mist

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
I was concerned about durability; I'm not sure it was built for sustained fire, (no heat shields).  Factory says it's life expectancy is 6k rounds or more.

I'm pretty sure Kel Tec's have a lifetime warranty.

I own the PLR 22 and the P32 and am very pleased with both.  I have several friends who plan on picking up the SU 22 ASAP.

Greenjeans

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
That's correct, for the original owner.  I got a good deal on mine used.  It's just what the Dr. ordered for compact, fits in my backpack multi use survival rifle

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:06 AM »
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

WillCStars8080

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 02:40:27 AM »
update, longgevity?

Offline Husker7.62

• Prepper
  • shoot me an e-mail if you're in central MO
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »
I've been looking at this rifle for a while. I showed my teammate and we both said the girls at the same time. I really think that this would be a perfect rifle for someone who just isn't that used to rifles or even firearms in general. Our spouses fit this role perfectly. what do you guys think about it what do your wives carry and how much do they like it
--you know what the chain of command is? thats the chain i beat you with till you understand whos in charge--

--courage isn't the absence of fear, but the knowledge of fear yet the courage to draw your weapon and face that fear head on--

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
i really like these-
nutnfancy did a review on them and he likes them a lot
- caveats- has to be one of the ones with the heavy barrel, otherwise it gets too hot after sustained fire (you'd have to watch the video, its been awhile since i've seen it)

I would love to have a C (heavy barrel, fires folded) as a trunk gun/camping gun IF i end up with a fancy AR as my MBR-
but currently I'm leaning the AK route so I probably wont get one (unless they start making a 7.62 model that takes AK mags!)
JCM

"like so many others, wonders what heck is up with the inflatable goat thing"

Offline RUReady

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
  What about the $200 stamp on the SBR?
Dave

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
are they piston driven as opposed to the standard AR gas style?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »
I have one. Shoots fine. Not my main rifle, but a nice extra that shoots 223.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »
Thanks for posting that review Tim- a little reading would have saved asking an obvious question
It did indicate that its piston driven as I somewhat remembered from when it first hit the market
Overall seems to be a good tool, specially as a backup or survival aid as NC mentioned
Not quite as reliable as Id like for a primary weapon but the cost seems fair for what it is
If they are a couple hundred less than a bare bones AR I may hafta pick one up

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

I've got an SU-16A and the PLR-16... I got the SU when they first came out, it was virtually impossible to get anything other than the Alpha version. I replaced the front stock and the breakdown pin, to make it easier to remove and not lose.

The first ones came with defective 10 round mags, they were made too thin and when fully loaded would eventually pop rounds out just while sitting. I sent them into Kel-Tec and they replaced them for free, and gave me an extra one too.

I've carried mine while backpacking and really love it, very lite. I now use 20 round Pmags and carry one in the buttstock and one in the receiver. I plan on removing the barrel and building a fixed suppressor on it to still keep it the legal length of over 16". I just need to take the time to get my Form 1 sent in and the $200 it takes to do this. These are really fun guns, mine seems to prefer standard 55 grain brass cased for the best function...tried the cheap steel stuff and had FTE's... I've got close to 1K rounds through it, pretty reliable but if I had to grab one I would still grab my AR over it...

The PLR is even better, but wickedly loud and has quite the flash...a real Range gathering type gun...everyone thinks they are illegal... ;D Specially fun shooting one handed...

http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.