Author Topic: silver coins - 4 quarters vs 1 silver dollar?  (Read 6554 times)

Offline footpad

• Survivor
silver coins - 4 quarters vs 1 silver dollar?
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:12:36 AM »
at a local flee market and a guy was selling alot of pre 64 quarters for 5 to 6 bucks each. his silver dollars were going for 30 bucks. (i can get new silver eagles elsewhere for cheaper )

but my question is......(in general) as far as silver value goes, is 4 quarters the same as a silver dollar?

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
Re: silver coins - 4 quarters vs 1 silver dollar?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »
A dollar has 14.71 and a quarter has 3.44 worth of silver.  4 x 3.44 = 13.76 so a silver dollar is worth a little more than 4 quarters.  But, Morgan silver dollars are very collectable so they fetch a premium.

www.coinflation.com has a lot of good info on junk silver.

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »
I am fairly new to purchasing silver coins but I don't think I would buy any from a flee market.  I usually deal with a local shop that I trust.  Maybe when I learn more about it I would feel more comfortable buying like that.

Last week I was making a non-silver purchase at the shop (just happens to be a gun shop as well) and added $1 face value of silver coins.  I wanted either dimes or quarters and he quoted me that price but his wife had already put them away (store was closing up), so he tossed me a morgan dollar.  He didn't charge me any more for it but did explain why they were worth a bit more. 

I am not big in to collecting for numismatic at this point.  Figuring that if SHTF a 1921D Mercury dime would be worth the same as a 1920 mercury dime even though its rare minting. 

Ditto on the website Rob in Rob's post.  Even though I don't conceder myself a collector, it's still fun to go through a bag dimes with my son to see what we got.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »
Wow is that flea market guy selling at really high prices.
At 5 dollars for a silver quarter is 20 times face. You should be able to buy it for around 13.

Offline footpad

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »
yea i would normally have alot of concern in flea markets, especially those in my area. but this guy has been in business for like 30 years. i trust him.

-but, this leads to something else ive been thinking about. in everyday dealing where quality may be in question, especially in a shtf scenario....has anyone talked about carrying a precious metal testing kit for gold and silver? i know nothing about testing these but surely it cant be too involved.....anyone know?

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
From what I understand (someone else with more knowledge please chime in), the best way is with weight.  So if you have a 1962 Washington Quarter, it should weigh 6.25 grams.  It was electroplated or fake it would weigh more or less depending on what material was used.  Even if the coin is highly worn it should weigh about the same.

So a small scale and a list of gold/silver coin weights would work for coinage.  I don't know about any other testing stuff you would need.  I doubt we would be dealing with raw ore for a while even in a total TEOTWAWKI.  But it would be a needed skill later on.  I meet a girl that was taking college classes in metallurgy/jewelry making, a skill that is rare and could be applied to lots of stuff.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
I thought the difference was usually because the quarters, dimes etc were generally worn and the dollars not as much so.

I know 1000 face bags are 715 ounces of silver, which takes into account that the coins are quite circulated.

I'm not an expert. However, if you are thinking of using these for barter in a breakdown I would think the dimes and quarters
would be better for actual use. I carry a roll of silver dimes in my backpack so take it for what is worth (along with a water
filter, pancho, and first aid kit)

Offline footpad

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
yea im thinking smaller currency as well.

scale wouldnt be too bad. i was thinking of some sort of chemical test. but i guess that wouldnt show if it were plated.

unfortunately i imagine that if gold/silver did become currency, there would be a zillion ways crooks would rip people off.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:17 PM »
Just flip it in the air like old gangster style.  Silver has a very different ring to it.  Might be a little hard to do with a dime though.  Halfs and quarters are no problem. 

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
Yep, the term "sound money" is very literal.

Offline keepitlow

• Banned Scumbag
  • Survivor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
I'd add to your cache with 90% silver for barter.

Just make sure your PM is in small denominations if you intend to barter with it. (Probably an unlikely event)

A 1/10 oz gold eagle I'm holding is equal to each of thes piles of silver. Breaking down a 1 oz gold coin that may be worth several thousand $$ may be tough.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:33:44 PM by keepitlow »

Offline CaptainRW

• Senior Survivalist
  • If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK...
    • Cheshire County NH
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »
I agree, so many people don't seem to thing about "making change" in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation...