Author Topic: Resources for Long Term Food Supplies  (Read 8224 times)

Offline spatin

• Prepper
  • likes FALs
Resources for Long Term Food Supplies
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »
This may have been mentioned somewhere before, but I haven't been on the forums for that long, so here goes.

I have seen a site called "All is Safely Gathered In" - published by the LDS Church.  Through that I learned about something the LDS Church sponsors called Family Home Storage Centers that has many different kinds of food items, most of it is already canned and processed for long term storage, and for very very reasonable prices.

Go to this site:     http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,8133-1-4352-1,00.html

for more information.  I plan on making a visit to their local center soon to see what they have and start stocking up some food preps from these good people.

Sidney

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
Re: Resources for Long Term Food Supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
Do they do mail order, since there is not one near me?

Offline spatin

• Prepper
  • likes FALs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
I don't know if they will mail order.  Here is a phone number for their office in Denver.  303-371-7650
They should be able to answer your questions and it is a bigger facility than the one near my home in Colorado Springs, so they might have the staff to ship orders.
I plan on making a run out to the local store next week sometime, and I will file a report here on this thread.
Sidney

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:07:15 AM »
This LDS link has limited, but good, food storage items that they will ship. 
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=
I have purchased from them before.  Prices are reasonable and the products are good quality.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »
It's a good site and I've purchased from them online a few times.

There are many of the storage centers around the country.
Most will accept you if you call. Some require a church member to sponsor you.
Just give one near you a call and ask.

A friend of mine is LDS and suggested anyone calling just let them know you want a few items to have set aside for times of need. They may ask you to volunteer a bit of time in tidying up if you are using the canning facilities. Maybe not.
But they are good folks interested in helping their family and community from my experiences.

And the prices are hard to beat.

Offline anewday

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »
I went to one last year, called ahead and made an appointment.  They were so friendly and nice it was a pleasent experience.  Drove 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back the same day and it was well worth it.  I would not be where I am today in terms of preps with out this church.  They sure know what they are doing!  There are many LDS women that have websites that help with food storage, just wonderful and nice people.
 Thanks LDS!

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:35 AM »
I had a great experience with them, my order arrived far quicker then I anticipated and the pricing is amazing (IMHO).

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
I have also ordered from LDS online. I ordered the wheat. The wheat was shipped in a timely fashion and I was pleased. I will order from them again. You do not need to be a member of the church to order online, although the options are limited.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »
Don't forget the great deal they have on mylar bags online, too. I ordered a box of 250 of them and have been very pleased.

I also frequented the DFW food storage warehouse. If you are visiting the first time, I'd suggest calling ahead to find out times of operation. They have particular hours when you can buy bulk foods (in the 25 lb bags, etc. for your own home storage) and other times when you can use their canning equipment for free. The first time you use the canning equipment, they will want to train you. You are expected to clean up after yourself each time you go there, iirc. No kids under 16 years old are allowed in the canning area. They don't accept credit cards at the warehouses (online no problem). You can go to the providentliving website and print out your shopping list before you go, which will make things easier when you get there.

The dehydrated apples are very good!

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
I ordered the "Family Starter Kit" which has six #10 cans (Wheat, pinto beans, rice and oatmeal) and some publications for $31 free shipping (although tax is added for most states).

It sounds like a good deal.  There wasnt much information about the contents though.....are these freeze dried or long storage products or just regular food items in bulk like you could buy at Sams or CostCo?

any info would be appreciated!

ritchfan TX

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
the #10 cans of LTS food from LDS are just regular bulk items stored in cans with O2 absorbers.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
The "Family Starter Kit" is a great value. And perfect for LTS already.

As LvsChant  said, it's their regular foods for storage.

We have a "cannery trip" planned soon and I'm gathering buckets in preparation for it.

Our local cannery doesn't have their canning equipment setup at the warehouse, but loans it out to members as needed.

I'm not LDS, but fortunately some of my Prepper friends are. Great Folks.  :)

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Any idea how long the storage would be good for (regular items with O2 absorbers)?
I would think the wheat in particular would still be able to be stored for a long time.

Ritchfan

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
thanks for the replies.  Any idea how long the storage would be good for (regular items with O2 absorbers)?
I would think the wheat in particular would still be able to be stored for a long time.

Ritchfan

Packaged properly Ritchfan, they should last a good long time.

Rice in Mylar with o2 absorbers? I'm counting on 20 years.

Beans? At least 15 years.

Hard Red Winter Wheat? 30+ years.

Sugar & salt almost indefinitely.

But rotation and the old adage of "eat what you store & store what you eat" also come into play.

Variety will help circumvent food fatigue, but familiarity with preparation of your store items (& various ways to break up the monotony with fresh herbs and spices) is also needed.

Jackie Clay's Growing and Canning Your Own Food and Self Reliance: Recession Proof Your Pantry are some excellent resources you might want to consider.
They contain great info on several aspects of food storage.

Good Luck.  :)

Offline ritchfan

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
thanks Prag!  i ordered the self reliance pantry book to get me started.

the help on this forum is great....

thx for taking the time to post, seriously....i know everyone is really busy.

Bobby (ritchfan)

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
thanks Prag!  i ordered the self reliance pantry book to get me started.

the help on this forum is great....

thx for taking the time to post, seriously....i know everyone is really busy.

Bobby (ritchfan)

Excellent bobby! & you're very welcome.

It's a great little book...I've read it twice already...lots of great info.  :)

Best of Luck to you.  :)