Author Topic: New Book, "I Can't Believe it's Food Storage"  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
New Book, "I Can't Believe it's Food Storage"
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
I just bought this book after seeing it mentioned on Youtube. It was just published last year, had alot of good reviews. Basically, it's a recipe book built around cooking with common storage foods. Should be interesting to try some of the recipes, always looking for different recipes.....

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: New Book, "I Can't Believe it's Food Storage"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
Lawyerman, I'll be interested to hear your review. I'm always trying to figure out creative ways to use stored foods in my day-to-day cooking.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I'm a bit disappointed in it. I think it's a great beginners book on how to store and use regular food as opposed to MRE's, Mountain House, etc.. It's written by a Mormon woman so the slant is on things available through LDS which is not a drawback in my opinion. If someone is just getting started on learning to use what they store this is a great book. I was just hoping for a bit more.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
Well, that's a little disappointing.

I had read several good reviews on Amazon before I bought. Several of the folks actually claimed to have made the recipes and thought pretty well of them. The reason I found them credible was because there were several that had specific things they didn't like etc.....That's to be expected with anything, somebody isn't going to like some part of it so I really thought on the balance that it looked pretty good.

Do you have Jackie Clays' storage food book? I have and it really is a great book. I've made several of her recipes, Indian Fry bread etc....I was hoping for a similar thing with this one. Always good to have another way of looking at ingredients etc....To me, a couple of really good recipes can make the whole book worthwhile...we'll see.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »
Yeah I have Jackie Clay's book and it's excellent. Some of the recipes in this book are ok too, it's the entire book I thought was geared more towards beginners. Of course I love recipes, a recipe collector maybe?

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
Of course I love recipes, a recipe collector maybe?

No Maybe about it! I scrounge all of the thrift stores and flea markets for old cookbooks. I look for the ones from Churches and Civic Organizations (Lions Clubs, Optimists, Shriners etc....) or Schools. Anything that says anything about "microwave", "instant"... etc....is right out. Most of the "good stuff"  I find is 1970's vintage or so. Alot of those recipes went back generations and were meant to feed hard working and hungry men with simple ingredients. Later cookbooks seem to use alot more ingredients, fancier ingredients etc.....

I have a whole shelf in my library devoted to these kinds of cookbooks. Probably my favorite is one published by a Catholic School, apparently as a fund raiser, in New Orleans from about 1950. Man the Jumbalya and Gumbo recipes- who knew there were 15 ways to cook Red Beans and rice! Also, it has alot of fish and seafood recipes, not something you see in alot of cookbooks- at least the old ones I'm used to seeing. I like that kind of stuff.