Author Topic: Unit in Fridge  (Read 6568 times)

Offline rckound

• Prepper
  • Duke & Daisy ready to bug out!
Unit in Fridge
« on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Just ordered a system, can't wait for it to arrive. Can the unit be placed in the fridge and left there for regular use? I could always filter water and then place in a pitcher, however I would just as soon eliminate a step. Thanks!

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Unit in Fridge
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:23:55 AM »
Just ordered a system, can't wait for it to arrive. Can the unit be placed in the fridge and left there for regular use? I could always filter water and then place in a pitcher, however I would just as soon eliminate a step. Thanks!

I do not recommend it, but the travel berkey may fit in the fridge.  We make berkey ice, or put the water in a pitcher, and then put it in the fridge.

theberkeyguy

Offline rckound

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:31:06 AM »
OK, thanks. Pitcher it is then. And the ice.

Offline Te0fil0_0

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »

Could you post the picture of your fridge? I am interested to see it. Yes it is better if you place it in a pitcher.

Offline rckound

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »
I took the advice given and did not place it in the fridge. Sits on the counter like most other people's and I just fill a pitcher.

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
I find the water is cool enough from the Berkey straight off the counter. I usually get a little condensate on the side because the water is so cold coming straight out the tap. Could also be the time of year too.

Offline "Top" W. Kone

• Survivor
  • Team NCOIC for an OC/T BN the USAR
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »
I find the water is cool enough from the Berkey straight off the counter. I usually get a little condensate on the side because the water is so cold coming straight out the tap. Could also be the time of year too.

I just wish there was a model that fit between the counter top and normal height cabinets (about 16 to 18 inches) that held 2 to 3 gallons. I would not mind if it was bigger in diameter.

Brutus

Offline Riff Raff

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
Curious if anyone uses an in-fridge water jug similar to the one found at this site: 

http://www.beveragefactory.com/water/accessories/refrigerator.shtml

the site doesn't state what the bottle is made of, but it seems like a reasonable solution.  Use a berkey to filter the water, then fill a jug (or two) to keep in the fridge and use as needed.  If you had two jugs, you use one, and fill the 2nd -- that way you always have cold water to drink.

Thoughts?

- RiffRaff

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
We use our Berkey to fill the Brita pitcher and put the Brita in the fridge. It would be better to use a "normal" pitcher, but we already had the Brita...

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
Curious if anyone uses an in-fridge water jug similar to the one found at this site: 

http://www.beveragefactory.com/water/accessories/refrigerator.shtml

the site doesn't state what the bottle is made of, but it seems like a reasonable solution.  Use a berkey to filter the water, then fill a jug (or two) to keep in the fridge and use as needed.  If you had two jugs, you use one, and fill the 2nd -- that way you always have cold water to drink.

Thoughts?

- RiffRaff
I've tried numerous water containers like the one you show above.  The problems that always leads to abandoning them are:  1) a little too heavy to fill up - my wife.  2) they always start leaking at the spigot within a few months.  Pitchers on the other hand will last for years.