Author Topic: Vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden  (Read 6882 times)

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
Vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »
Man, I hated to let this one go!

The top was found in someone's attic and donated to the Best Friends Bunny House to be used as a fundraiser. Bunny House manager asked me to quilt it. One look told me it was vintage so I had it appraised. It's from the 30s, in fabulous condition and worth several hundred dollars as-is (or as-was). I didn't want to cut it square as is often done, so I appliqued it down to the borders before quilting it. It's now a very generous queen-size and I sure hope whoever wins the raffle appreciates what they've got. The pictures don't do it justice, but here goes:

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
Re: Vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
Ouch...   As long as winner appreciates it. ;)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
Beautiful as is your quilting

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
There's a lot of work in piecing , but WOW nice work on the quilting , real detail work .
I can't get that kind up work done around here at all.
Yes , the wife picks out colors and desines then i do the work ,
with big hand it takes lots of pins.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
There's a lot of work in piecing , but WOW nice work on the quilting , real detail work .
I can't get that kind up work done around here at all.
Yes , the wife picks out colors and desines then i do the work ,
with big hand it takes lots of pins.

Thanks 4bull! You're a quilter too? Cool!

This was done on my long-arm machine. Still a serious amount of time into the quilting process but since it's a service project I didn't keep track of my hours (prolly don't want to know   :o), However, just the machine quilting took several days.

The handwork (mine, appliqueing top to border strips) was done over a period of months as time allowed and it took fer freakin' ever. The top, done way back in the 30s, is all hand done of course - it being a GFG, that's the onliest way to put one of those critters together. It was very well pieced. I did the binding by machine too, that just took a couple of hours as opposed to a couple of days if done by hand.

Would LOVE to see some of the things you & Mrs. 4bull have done - hint, hint.  ;)

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
Ouch...   As long as winner appreciates it. ;)

No kidding, "ouch". I tend to get attached to most of quilts that come through my studio, but this one is really special. But hey, I did it for the Bunnies and like a gift of any sort, once out of one's hands it needs to be out of mind.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
Beautiful as is your quilting

Thank you, Swoods.   :) You're a quilter too, right?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
Oh my gosh, that's beautiful. I haven't seen one that pretty since Mom tossed away one Grandma had done. She  had too pretty much, it was worn out. We used Grandma's quilts every single day so they got a lot of wear and tear over the course of a few decades. I still have one done by my other Grandmother that is in excellent shape as it never got used and I'm saving it for my daughter.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »
WOW.  I'd have paid top dollar for that and let you donate the money to your bunnies.  TOP DOLLAR, LJ!!!!  I'm really disappointed that I didn't get a chance to snake this one away from you.  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
LJ, do you have a store or a photo gallery where we can see more of your work?  I keep looking more and more at the borders of this quilt, and I'm just completely awestruck.  Every single square centimeter is stitched.  It's so amazing.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
LJ, do you have a store or a photo gallery where we can see more of your work?  I keep looking more and more at the borders of this quilt, and I'm just completely awestruck.  Every single square centimeter is stitched.  It's so amazing.

A photo gallery would require organization therefore it has not yet happened.  :-[ I do take snapshots of all customer quilts for my records but they're all wadded together in 'My Pictures' awaiting a proper sort. One New Year's resolution will be to get that act together - sometimes a customer will send a top and say "Use the same designs you did on my churn dash last March." or something to that effect, like I can remember last week, let alone last year.  ::)

Anywho, thanks for the kind words. I have a couple of full custom jobs to get done by Christmas and I'll post those when done.

OKGranny - I want to see the one you're saving for your daughter!! Pleeeeese, pretty please???