Author Topic: Old Instructors  (Read 1965 times)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Old Instructors
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
Like guns, the martial arts system you already know is the best one in the world when you need it. The trick is to get the most for your training effort, and to learn what you are taught very well. Again, as with guns, well trained is half-trained, and half-trained is no training at all.

Aside from that...

Something I would add on the subject of martial arts instruction: The older your instructor is, the better he is, usually.

And the older you are, the older your instructor should be.

Youth is the time of unlimited energy, perfect agility, and the maximization of power. That is true for both instructors and students.

Old age is the time for conservation of energy and efficiency. Again for both instructors and students.

If a young person is trained by an old instructor, he can be taught to not depend on the speed and strength that is the natural attribute and the first recourse of youth. He can be taught to achieve the greatest result in the shortest time and with the least amount of effort.

That efficiency, combined at need with the speed and strength of youth, approaches the ultimate in fighting ability.

If an old person is trained by an old instructor, both the techniques and the training will be efficient and effective. There will be no time wasted on trying to perfect the roundhouse kick to the temple (for example), and no time lost to ligament injuries in the process.

The student's time will be much better spent on speed techniques like the Whip Hand, which does not require either strength or agility, and in learning to Unzip your opponent, which does not even require that you dance with him.

The young instructor simply can not understand (in fullness) the limitations of old age. The old instructor does. And he also understands the follies of youth, having experienced them all.

And, uh, what grasshoppers sound like....

Offline Lanakia

• Prepper
Re: Old Instructors
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I enjoy this post. I agree that the older the instructor the better he or she is. My Aikido Sensei passed away yesterday. he was 90. here is a thank you to all those who have dedicated their lives to passing on knowledge and wisdom. Aloha no ka kou, e mahalo nui