Author Topic: Hapkido!  (Read 3563 times)

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
Hapkido!
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
Started Hapkido a few months ago. What an extreme workout to say the least. I've been pushing myself further than I ever thought possible. Still cant lose that last 10lbs though but thats due to me liking food just too much  :D

For those not familiar Hapkido is a Korean martial art that blends hard style strikes (tae kwon do, karate ) as well as circular movement like the soft styles (Aikido, Jujutsu).

Anyone interested in getting into martial arts should check out this style. Its well rounded and I get as much out of it as I put into it. Check it out!

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Hapkido!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
I did Tae Kwon Do and aikido simultaneously in college. The result is a pseudo-hapkido knowledge.

Hapkido is awesome, it's just hard to find good instruction in it.  Great luck if you've found a place that teaches it well!  Learn all you can.

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »
Yeah it is hard but lucky for me GA has a few good schools run by a great Master. I have a bit of a drive but its completely worth it. I don't have goals of being the best in the world but I do want to be EXTREMELY proficient in it. Well enough to defend myself and family and well enough to teach one day maybe.

Donald how practical was your Aikido training?

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
My aikido training was incredibly practical.

My instructor is 5th degree black belt in yagyu jujutsu and 3rd degree black belt in Yoshinkai aikido.

He always taught the aikido from a jujutsu paradigm (it's where it comes from) so effectiveness was always paramount. The love and harmony message was secondary to martial effectiveness of the techniques.

After a certain incident in his life, he decided the "we all win" approach of aikido had to go, and protecting himself and his loved ones was a greater, more urgent, message.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:53:20 PM »
I did Tae Kwon Do, HapKiDo and Kung Jung Mu Sool years ago. HapKiDo can definitely be an effective method for defense. Hard strikes driving forward until the attacker is done, hard and soft throws, joint locking and defense. Just remember to keep it real. A shock and lock type execution makes locking much more effective and the most effective locking I've ever done was after I trained to use locks in any direction. Analysis of Shaolin Chinna from YMAA is good for this. It breaks locks down by the principles they use and show you lots of variations of each lock. Locking is effective if it is fast, natural and you train to use locks in every possible angle. Have fun.

Pat

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
My middle son is looking into Hapkido, my oldest son takes Tae Kwon Do and Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu so I think my middle one doesn't want his brother teaching over him (which I can understand) so he has researched Hapkido and there is a school in our area that teaches it, we are going to check out a few of their classes hopefully this next upcoming week.

On a side note..... If you watch the credits roll at the end of the movie 'Billy Jack' you will see that Hapkido was the martial arts style used in that movie..... And lets face it.... Billy Jack could kick some butt  :)

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
Yes. Billy Jack was a HapKiDo bad ass.