Author Topic: Building a Balcony Greenhouse  (Read 2987 times)

Offline kopid03

• Prepper
Building a Balcony Greenhouse
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
I think it would be pretty easy to turn an average balcony into a greenhouse for the colder months.  A frame could be build from PVC, and it could be covered by a layer of plastic on the outside of the PVC.  You could also put another layer of plastic on the inside of the PVC so you would have a double wall with a layer of air in between.  If you kept it up all winter, I think you would want a roof heavily slanted so snow easily slides off it before it gets heavy.

Depending what the floor of your balcony is, you could probably buy a foam insulation board that would cover the floor.  You could either put black buckets of water on the back wall, or use the buckets to hold up boards to hold potted plants.

Anyone have any other ideas for this and any guesses to what the total price would be?

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Building a Balcony Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
Sounds liike a great idea. Just one question.  Is this in a place you are renting or own?  When I was young my husband and I lived in apartment with a "back yard", a 15 by 15 fenced, cement area at the back of the kitchen.  My hubby got a pool table and put it out there an built a "room" from plywood and two by fours to protect it.  This was 40 years ago or so and we got away with it, but in this day and age, I'm not so sure you would be able to do something like that in a rental.

However, sometimes it is still better to ask forgiveness than permission. If worse came to worse, you'd just have to take it down. Let us know how it works out. I'd really like to know if you can make it work.  :-\

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
Re: Building a Balcony Greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. Please post how it goes if you try it.

Pat