Author Topic: The next noob question; primers  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
The next noob question; primers
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
Got all squared away with the new setup, primers seated, OAL right, life is good, then;

Noticed that the boys at the shop hooked me up with magnum primers instead of standard. I only loaded 10 rounds before I noticed. Can I shoot them or am I gonna blow myself up?!

.45 ACP
230gr RNL
4.7 gr Win 231

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
Re: The next noob question; primers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
In a high quality .45 you should be ok.  You are .6 grns under max for LRN.  Just check the barrel for leading.

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using magnum primers in a non-magnum primer round.  While you some people use them it's not recommended by any of the manufacturers.  If you do decide to go ahead with the magnum primers I would suggest contacting the powder company for a load.  If they choose not to tell you or say don't use magnums. but you still want to go forward.

Use the lowest power load you can find and only move up from there.  I think you are a bit close to the maximum and I would suggest backing down a bit. 

A piece of information of note.  A change in primer can cause a 5,000 psi peak pressure change. 

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »
Thx all; I went back to the shop and cranked at them a little. They hooked me up with Winchester Large Pistols. Loaded a batch and off to the range; success!  :clap: