Author Topic: Gold Lined Paint cans  (Read 25153 times)

Offline traildad

• Prepper
Gold Lined Paint cans
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
I came across this site for paint cans. I looked at the Cary co but did not see prices. I don't know how the prices compare but these sound good.
$3.17 for 1gal gold lined cans and $1.92 for 1qt cans and $1.76 for 1pt cans and $1.17 for 1/2pt cans all with lids. Min. one case order.

http://www.emptypaintcans.com/tinpaintcans.aspx

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Gold Lined Paint cans
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
That is the e-commerce site for the cary company. I got a price quote and it is pretty much the same.

Look closely at the logo in the top left of the page.

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:17:31 AM »
Will they let you save the shipping and pick them up at the warehouse?  I live about an hour away, and am up there for work once a month or so.

Offline midwesterner

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
Will they let you save the shipping and pick them up at the warehouse?  I live about an hour away, and am up there for work once a month or so.

I exchanged email with them last year, and they were quite open to me picking up the order rather than shipping it. I'd considered picking up some food-grade barrels they have available as well (rain collection for the garden...) and they had those at their warehouse in Addison as well.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:23:19 AM »
I checked them out, but the shipping was too much. I may use some regular cans I can get locally and just use a food grade liner in them.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:28:33 AM »
I came across this site for paint cans. I looked at the Cary co but did not see prices. I don't know how the prices compare but these sound good.
$3.17 for 1gal gold lined cans and $1.92 for 1qt cans and $1.76 for 1pt cans and $1.17 for 1/2pt cans all with lids. Min. one case order.

http://www.emptypaintcans.com/tinpaintcans.aspx

The price quote for Cary co and empty paint cans seemed to be exactly the same as of early Dec 2010 when I asked for a quote from Cary Co.  Shipping seemed to be a bit cheaper from empty paint cans, but the quote from Cary Co was not firm.

Brad  - In Colorado

Offline mhallee

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »
Here's a site I found that lets you buy them individually.

http://www.inmarkinc.com/hazardous/HMproductPages/HMcansArmlocksClips.html

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
...just use a food grade liner in them.

Who are you using as a source for these?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »
Here's a site I found that lets you buy them individually.

http://www.inmarkinc.com/hazardous/HMproductPages/HMcansArmlocksClips.html

Have you bought any cans from them?
Trying to get a gut feel on speed & cost to ship.

Brad - In Colorado

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
...just use a food grade liner in them.

Who are you using as a source for these?

Maybe I'm over thinking this; will a zip lock bag work as a food grade liner?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:33:07 PM »
Will they work, yes - but is the question will they provide an extra layer of protection?

Nope -

What I could not answer is should you have a second layer of protection for gold line cans - for short term use like repacking an open 5 gal bucket - or maybe using the quart size ones for temp storage for popping open a number 10 can....I would say not needed.

The plastic zip locks might be useful for easy access to the items stored - lets say dried milk - I would consider plastic useful.

I am starting to think it might be a good idea for items stored long term in those 1 gal cans.  Just a bit more insurance for stuff you might have to rely on in a pinch.

Brad - In Colorado (Is it snowing yet?)

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
why use the gold lined? I use regular paint cans from home depot. But I also put everything in mylar sealed bags as well.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
why use the gold lined? I use regular paint cans from home depot. But I also put everything in mylar sealed bags as well.

Because with the phenolic lining you don't have to also seal it with mylar. If you seal it with mylar, you don't need a can.

unless you feel the need to double bag, you don't need both.

homeshow

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
Because with the phenolic lining you don't have to also seal it with mylar. If you seal it with mylar, you don't need a can.

unless you feel the need to double bag, you don't need both.

are mylar bags as impact resistant as a steel can?  i can step on a paint can and only dent it.

as rat and mouse proof as a steel can?   i have seen 5 gallon plasstic buckets with rat holes chewed in them.

could you make a bed frame out of paint cans?  well i can tell you that project takes at least 49 cans. ;)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
are mylar bags as impact resistant as a steel can?  i can step on a paint can and only dent it.

as rat and mouse proof as a steel can?   i have seen 5 gallon plasstic buckets with rat holes chewed in them.

could you make a bed frame out of paint cans?  well i can tell you that project takes at least 49 cans. ;)

I use cans, not mylar, you don't have to tell me. But I see no need to use both. I just orderd a case of food grade gallon cans. Plan to put away at least 100 pounds of dry goods this month and do the same next month.

I just don't see the need to use both mylar and cans. I just use cans.

Offline burbot

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »
Just ordered some gold lined cans and was wondering on the best way to seal them.  I plan on using O2 absorbers and freezing the rice, flour, mashed potato buds, sugar, etc to kill bugs prior to storing.  I'm not against using my foodsaver to vacuum bag before putting in the can if necessary as a belt and suspender type of safety.  I'm used to the hammer method to reseal a paint can, but uneasy about trusting it for long term food storage that my family may someday depend on.  Any help?  It would be much appreciated.

homeshow

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »
i put food in sealed mylar bags inside the cans.  i'm not sure if the steel paint cans are air tight.  i'm sure the mylar bags are air tight.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
Since these keep coming up in shows, I'm going to sticky this.

BTW, here's a link to the Cary Company.  You have to call for a quote

Offline burbot

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
I tried to buy from Inmark via the link in this forum.  I wanted 10 cans to try them.  I placed my order and received a call a few days later.  No shipping costs showed up on my order and the call was about including shipping costs.  I'm reasonable and understood so I asked about what shipping would cost.  I was told they only ship by the case.  I explained the website has an option for ordering less than a case.  I was told she had to check on that and she was wondering where I was quoted that price.  She said "I have your order in front of me but that seems way to cheap, how did you get that price?".  A few days later I was called back and told I had to order a case.  I agreed.  She quoted me the price and I replied that the price per can on the website pricing was less than the price per can she had just told me .  She said she'd have to check again.  I was called back a few days later and told someone else would have to talk to me because she couldn't authorize the price I was telling her that I had from the website printout I was reading from.  I got a call a week later from another woman and the voicemail said "we are concerned about where your information is coming from".  At that point I decided they weren't a company I wanted to give my money to.  With shipping their phone price was not any cheaper than other prices I was seeing on the internet.  Still don't have my cans, but working on it.

Offline survivalcave

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »
We really like discountmylarbags.com Although we are a manufacturer of freeze dried food storage systems, we often will package small bags for aour dealers and have used them in the past. They ship very fast.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 07:33:11 AM »
A few of us got together (thanks to Endurance) and did a group purchase of the qt. size gold lined paint cans which cheapened the shipping considerably.  I bought a couple of cases and then repackaged some of my freeze dried and dehydrated foods into them since I didn't want a #10 can sitting around going stale or picking up moisture.  It's a good concept but I hate these cans.  They are a pain to store (they don't stack well) and whatever you do don't wash them (to sterilize) in the dishwasher - they rust easily (outside) and this was not something I thought of. 

Will I buy more? Nope I think I'll do food saver bags and store in buckets next time around.

Offline danaaj

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
Just ordered some gold lined cans and was wondering on the best way to seal them.  I plan on using O2 absorbers and freezing the rice, flour, mashed potato buds, sugar, etc to kill bugs prior to storing.  I'm not against using my foodsaver to vacuum bag before putting in the can if necessary as a belt and suspender type of safety.  I'm used to the hammer method to reseal a paint can, but uneasy about trusting it for long term food storage that my family may someday depend on.  Any help?  It would be much appreciated.
freezing does not always kill all bugs