Author Topic: Anyone brewing fuel alcohol?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
Anyone brewing fuel alcohol?
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone here brews alcohol for fuel.  If so, can you tell us about the equipment you bought or made?  How much per batch do you get and how long does that take to distill?  What fuel are you using for the heat source?  What are you using to make the mash?  How much does the yeast cost and where are you getting it?

I'm hoping to get the necessary equipment to make fuel alcohol within the next two years.  Would like to hear comments from anyone else doing this.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
Re: Anyone brewing fuel alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
This winter I'm working on a way to grow algae in 5 gallon water jugs. I want to be ready by the time the sun starts shining. I also am going to try to capture CO2 off of fermenting materials to bubble through the algae. Still in the planning stage at this point.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
I'm not exactly sure where the discussion of distilling alcohol crosses the "legal" line any more than I'm sure where discussing the growing of specific forbidden plants crosses the line.
Personally I think a person should be free to brew, distill, or grow what ever they want as long as they don't harm anyone else, however at this time in this country ("USA") my opinions are considered radical and I am considered a nut by many "Americans".
So to protect this forum and Jacks property from the people I consider overbearing busybodies and would be overlords, I am forced to lock and bury this thread as per the terms of use for this site.
My apologies.
Ben Stone

After Moderator review and additional information on the topic this thread is restored with the following disclaimer.

If you choose to make your own fuel alcohol, be sure to read and understand all safety and legal issues regarding the topic.
No discussion of alcohol distillation for the purpose of human consumption will be allowed on this forum.

http://www.ttb.gov/industrial/alcohol_fuel.shtml

Thanks to mangyhyena  for the info and chris for the link.
Thanks to the other mods in helping clarify this topic.
Ben
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:34:19 PM by Hare of Caerbannog »

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
Uh... okay.. thaanks

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
I started researching it, but haven't gotten much past that.  The best source of info I've found so far is here:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholfuel/  There's enough info and community support there to keep you busy for years... that's not counting the wealth of links available.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
I looked into it five or six years ago when a gallon a denatured alcohol was only $3  After looking at the time, effort, cost of materials and likely fuel, the price per gallon was way out of reach.  I ran some numbers back then, but I cannot remember what it came out to what it came out to.  It was shockingly high

I saw a gallon going for $15 a few days ago.  It is still not worth the effort unless I had an operation making a large amount to sell.  That is somewhat problematic

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
A few things:
You absolutely need to apply for a liscense to distill alcohol for fuel. It's easy to get, but don't skip this step.

You will need to "poison" your batches with a small amount of gasoline to insure it is not fit for human consumption. This is a legal requirement to produce fuel alcohol.

I'm not sure this is all that economically viable at this point. Yes, it will save money, but at what expense of your time? I am sure, however, that at some point soon it will be viable. Gas prices are going up. If our society breaks down, alcohol production will be one of a very few options open for driving, so it goes straight to preparedness & survival to learn this skill now.

If you plan to use fuel alcohol to run your vehicle, you will need to purchase a flex fuel kit for your vehicle. Cost is around $350 & you will be able to run gasoline, E-85--commercially made or home made--or any mixture of the two. If you have to bug out, the ability to run E-85 might make it possible to buy fuel if there is a sudden gasoline shortage.

Lastly, environmental advocates will say alcohol is no better than gasoline due to the required energy to heat the mash. Most folks use petrol fuel to distill.
We have a few options to avoid this. Wood gas via gasifier or a solar still will get around this. There is even one idiot trying to make a solar wood gasifier using a parabolic trough to provide the heat. Wish this fool luck. ;D

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
I think the best you can do making wine is about 15% alcohol before it kills the yeast.  So your first run through might net you 15% alcohol by volume.  You might be able to ferment again after you distill once though - no expert on that.