Author Topic: Augason Farms food storage  (Read 28507 times)

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
Augason Farms food storage
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
Is anyone out there familiar with the Augaston Farms long term foods? I seen them online at Sams Club but have not heard of them or tried any of their items.
The reason I am asking is that being in Alaska it is very expensive to have anything shipped here as there are not many options here in the interior. Sams Club shipping is very reasonable here though from what I can see on their site. There is a Sams Club in town but they don't carry these items.

This is not going to be our main source of food but it is nice to have different variety in our preps. Any info would be helpful with this brand. Planning on ordering a few samples to try out in the mean time.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Augason Farms food storage
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
they are local here (well, really, are there many LTS food places that aren't local to the SLC area?  :P )  They used to be known as Blue Chip Group, and I have been buying my LTS items from them for about 4 years.  Mostly in 6-gal buckets.  The locally owned grocery stores have food storage sales every 6 months or so, and Augason Farms products is generally what is sold, both in 6-gal buckets and #10 cans.  If you have a specific item about which you have questions, I can probably help you.  I have not used any of the mixes (pancake, soup, etc) cuz I like to control what is in my food and cook from scratch, but I have probably tried it here or there.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
This is pretty crazy, considering I just found my way back here from a while back and on a whim (I have those constantly) I ordered from them. A #10 can of BlueBerry PanCake Mix. Mind you, right now there are 5 (and some times 6) people in my home so something like this could be useful. I'm really hoping the rest of my family can get into the mindset fo at least keeping some food stored against harder times. Although, we are from WV, so what hurts the rest of America rarely is felt here too much.

So, soon I'll be able to tell you about that. Ms, since you threw in, do you have any info on any of their other items? Say, the soup bases and such? How do those compare to store bough non-dehydrated items or do you have any experience with those?

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
Come to find out, now Sams Club is charging outrageous shipping for even one #10 can to the tune of about $46. Wanted to see what the beef substitute tasted like and a few other items like the eggs and honey powder.

At those prices it does not make sense for me to order even one item.
Shipping to AK is one of the downfalls of living here and have yet to find anyplace other than Frontier Survival who will ship to us for a decent price and those are only small orders.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
Holy cow! Have you seen what shipping would be straight from Augason? I wonder if LTS members in AK get a break on shipping. My grandparents fly to AK in their plane every so often, they do some missionary work in Kodiak, whereabouts are you from there?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »
the soup mixes I have tried tasted like a soup mix to me.  they were tasty, but mixes.
I have been more than happy with the:
celery
raspberries
blueberries
onions
farina (germinade/ cream of wheat)
hard white wheat
hard red wheat
black, white, kidney beans
lentins
regular oats and quick oats
egg noodles (these cook up fast and are pretty tasty)
white flour
bread flour
cornmeal
popcorn
honey powder

I am sure there are more, but I cannot remember them right now.

I have been only moderatly pleased with:
strawberries (mine taste better)
dried eggs (Honeyville was cheaper, and worked the same)
applesauce (it was just tiny bits of dried apple - I could have done that myself!  if I had known what it was!)
red and green peppers (mine taste better)
mashed potatoes

didn't like:
brownie mix
morning moo milk products - any flavor

soup mixes I have tried at sampling booths:
southwest chili - pretty good, actually.  I liked it a lot.  won't buy it though - my chili recipes are better!
cheesy broccoli - good, if you like fake cheese.  I am allergic, so I cannot have more than a taste or two
chicken noodle - pretty good.  the noodles were big and hearty.

hope this helped.  

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:55:10 AM »
Sure did! I only had the money left to sample one of the cans and got the one I thought I'd actually use faster. But before I got the Pancake mix I'd thought about the peppers, onions, brownie mix, and chicken noodle and chili. I wasn't sure how many brownies I could conceivably eat without dying, nor how I could use all those peppers and onions (most of my family don't like them as much as I), or how the noodles would work out. That'll be one I look into now. When it comes to chili and such I'd much rather make my own. A big batch alongside a normal one so I can can the big batch for later.

To that notion, I've never worked (personally) with dry beans. My family has, but not I. If I got one of those #10 cans of dark red kidney beans, it's just a matter of putting them in water and letting them rehydrate and then cooking with them, correct? I'd like to make a big batch of chili to can some time soon.

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
Thanks for the good info everyone. It sounds like their food is fairly decent and may be worth trying. I read some reviews on the milk and it sounded like that was decent but we don't drink much of that anyhow. Most fruits we try to dehydrate on our own. Would like to try the farina and oats.

We live in Fairbanks so everything that comes here is either UPS, FedEx or private carrier for bigger shipments. Next time we fly out to somewhere we will just have to load some 50lb boxes together and put them on as luggage and pay the $15 per bag.

I checked the LTS website but there were only a few items on there that they offer. Is there another link with more choices? The site I seen offered #10 cans of rice, beans and wheat but no dehydrated food at all. It did say that the shipping would be FREE to me for a case of #10 cans of rice but I have this in our preps already. A lot of times sites will say shipping is free because they do not recognize AK and then come to find out the shipping ends up more than what you are wanting shipped.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
Wrangell, the Auguson Farms website, https://augasonfarms.com/ , is where I ordered from. Not sure if that's where you went or not. Their shipping is based on your order size (dollar amount) but is only valid for the contiguous US, so no telling what it'd be for you unless you jump on the website and give it a try. Something you might try (dunno how economical it would be) would be to make an order and have it delivered to family or friends in the lower 48, Washington or Oregon since it's closer, and then fly or drive down on a routine trip or make a trip just to pick up new supplies. Or there may be some one in your Region that would meet you halfway etc. Rent a UHaul maybe. I'd do it with no problem, but I'm on the East Coast.

I also noticed the AK shipping issue. I work at a WalMart an thought abouta  move to the new AK store. Was trying to figure out how they got freight to AK and figured they probably just bring it in on ship instead of driving and have a local DC somewhere. Maybe not. God luck though and I'll let you know how my experiences with them turn out.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
To that notion, I've never worked (personally) with dry beans. My family has, but not I. If I got one of those #10 cans of dark red kidney beans, it's just a matter of putting them in water and letting them rehydrate and then cooking with them, correct? I'd like to make a big batch of chili to can some time soon.

supposedly you can do it that way.  I have never been able to get that to work.  I use my crockpot.  I get perfect results every time.  :)

if you have a 2-3 qt pot, use 2 c beans.  Rinse and cover with cold water.  turn on low over night, and by breakfast you will have beans soaked and cooked.
rinse and add to whatever recipe you are using.
I use 1 c in my 1-qt crockpot.
I have mixed beans - my recipe calls for black and pinto, so I use a cup of each and just cook together.
I have also left them in the pot until dinner time, so they have been in the crockpot for about 15 hours sometimes.  The top ones get a bit dry when I do that, but they work just fine.

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
Storm, I did got to their site but after looking at Sams Club.  Most places require you call them for shipping to AK. Most of the freight to us is barged up from Seattle and then trucked up from Anchorage 360 miles south of us. I did get a call from DailyBread this morning and they are sending some samples up. Talked to them about freight and they use one of the freight companies we use at the company I work at. They might be able to do something knocking down the price that way.

My wife and I did talk about going down to Seattle or Utah and renting a U-Haul in the spring if things don't work out. Have lots of friends in Seattle but no family.

If you think about moving to an AK WalMart you should check the Fairbanks area. Small town feel with lots of great places to explore. Anchorage is to much like cities in the Lower 48.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
Thanks MS, I'll try that. Start a small batch first and see how it compares then work my way up.

Wrangell, I think there's one store in Fairbanks, and 3 or 4 in Anchorage. I like small towns, so that'd be cool. It's a dream of mine to like in AK for a year or so. Had some personal stuff happen to me and I'd love to get away for awhile.

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »
Yeah, there is one store in Fairbanks and a few others down south in Anchorage and surrounding areas. Things are a little more expensive here but other than that it is a great place to live where one can live a simpler life if they want.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
Just throwing this up here, but I just now received my order. I wonder if that's normal for them. Maybe it took longer because it was one item instead of a larger order, but that just seems backwards.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I have lots of difference in lead times from them.  Sometimes I can call on a Monday with a 3-7 bucket order and be able to pick it up on Friday.  One time it was a 3 month wait.  That was about 2 years ago when everyone started panicking and ordering tons of food.  I was tirked.  There I was a return and repeat customer and all these upstarts were making me wait (just to be clear, I was not mad at AF; they were fulfilling orders in the order received, but I was mildly annoyed at the people who were reacting to the news reports of food shortages.  Prepare before there are shortages, people!  Also, to be fair to them, they could not get the stuff from their suppliers.  It just wasn't there.)

I would guess that the long delay has a lot to do with their business load right now.  When did you order?

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »
November 21 or 22 I believe.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »
Storm: You probably already know this, but be sure to sort through the dried beans before you soak and cook. They quite often have small stones and other debris mixed in that need to be cleaned out. The machinery does a pretty good job at cleaning, but there are always a few little rocks I find.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »
November 21 or 22 I believe.

that isn't bad at all.  what, 2.5 weeks, and one of those a holiday week where lots of people took wed, thurs and fri off.  you got the pancake mix?  how is that?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
Two and a half weeks isn't bad, especially when it seems like a lot of these orders from emergency supply stores are taking more than a month in some instances.

I remember when the standard used to be "allow four to six weeks for delivery".  ;D

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
@ Lvs, I'll keep that in mind. I didn't know how much prep work beans would need. :-P

@ Morning Sunshine, Yeah I thought maybe the holiday week might have caused it too. I've never ordered from THEM, so it was hard for me to know how long it would take because I don't know the volume of business they do, etc, etc. I did get the mix, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Probably going to wait for a day off for a leisure breakfast.

@ Nicodemus, Yeah, I remember those days too. I think I also had dial up internet.

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 12:53:21 AM »
Here at our Wal-Mart they have a decent sized section for sale for the #10 cans.  The thing that struck me was that the whole section was empty except for about 5 cans!  The price seemed comparable to other sites for the same product.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 05:43:57 AM »
Costco sells Thrive combos on their web site, shipping included.  You don't have to be a member although I bought enough I signed up to avoid the 5% nonmember surcharge.  Guess I wouldn't be surprised if there is some tiny print that says no shipping to Alaska.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
Reviving a good thread I think.  ;D

Been getting Augason Farms products from Walmart for over a year now.
Most everything we have tried is A-ok.

Butter is iffy, but it works.
Cheesy chili enchilada soup mix, while real tasty, was a little to spicey for the wife and I.
Glad I had just ordered a small bag instead of a big can.
Creamy potato soup mix is great.
Rolled oats in the bucket actually save us some money. Cheaper in a bucket than buying 5 of those quaker oats 2lb containers.

And Walmart has free shipping over $50.00 order.
Not sure about alaska though..... :o