Author Topic: The final days of The Survival Podcast Forum have arrived (probably)  (Read 116 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Well, we've got our orders from Soros and Gates.  With the election less than 2 weeks away, we've got to shut down TSP Forum pronto.

Okay, here's what's really happening.  As you probably know, Jack Spirko has a lot of websites besides this forum.  They are running on two dedicated servers, which is kinda expensive.  And over the years, some software which is difficult to update has simply not been updated.  This includes basic stuff like the operating system (which reaches end-of-life in just over a month), and some software for individual sites (like this forum, which is many years out-of-date).

We've all known about this for a long time, but nobody has had the time/energy/money to fix the mess.

This reached a crisis point in early September, when we discovered the main server had been hacked in multiple different ways by unknown Bad Guys.  We don't know whether they were exploiting one security hole or several, but they added crap all over the place, probably including new backdoors that we haven't identified.

At that point, Jack (with input from me and Archer) decided it was time to hire a new guy to coordinate a move to a brand-new, malware-free server, with all up-to-date software.  This work has been in progress for weeks, and the big move for the thesurvivalpodcast.com domain is coming up probably next Monday 10/26/20.  Jack wants this completed ASAP, because at present he is paying for the new server AND the two old servers.

Of course the #1 goal here is to stop the Bad Guys, so all software on the new server needs to be up-to-date with all current bug-fixes.  So the next question is, what (if anything) gets triaged during the move?

TSP Forum is on the "probably triage" list, for two main reasons.  One, as you're aware if you've been here a few years, forum usage is dropping lower and lower.  Although the forum still attracts a lot of hits from search engines, approximately 0% of those hits lead to a new member registering here (except for spammers).  And current members have been drifting away for many years -- as have the forum's admins and moderators.

Two, for technical reasons, it's a huge amount of work to update the forum software AND retain all its current functionality.  We've added many customizations over the years, including some hand-edits to the code.  An update wipes out all of those customizations, and we would need to restore at least some of them -- and because the core software has changed, we don't know if our customizations would still work.

So, the big picture for the forum is: a whole lot of work, to support a small number of current users.  And those few of us who know how to do the work are just not available to spend time on it.

What we do want, if at all possible, is to preserve the forum as a read-only archive.  As of today I'm not entirely sure how to do this.  But there's a huge amount of good info here.  And from a business standpoint, the search engine hits bring in a lot of potential listeners and MSB members for Jack.

So here's the most likely scenario.  Around about Sunday 10/25/20, I will put TSP forum in Maintenance Mode, which means nobody except admins will be able to login or read any posts.  Early next week, Jack's new server wizard will move the forum to its new home.  After that, I will try to bring it back to life, probably in read-only form.  This won't happen immediately, because I am overwhelmed with obligations in my personal life, and I'm the only person here who knows how to do the work.  So the forum will be down entirely, for (I'm guessing) at least a week, maybe a month.

What will replace TSP Forum?  Well, at present there is a fairly active MeWe group, Survival Podcast Hang Out, at https://mewe.com/group/5acf93bba5f4e52822e780a1 (and as with most MeWe groups, you can't find out a single thing about it unless you join first).  For podcast-related discussions, the comments on Jack's TSP Blog are the place to go.

There is some discussion about starting up a new, much smaller and leaner forum.  I won't be personally involved with that, and at the moment I'm not sure if it's going to happen, or when.  We'll try to keep you updated.

That's all I know at the moment.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
yikes. 

Read only I guess is better than nothing.  Will there be a search option?

I guess I need to go through and find the threads that I was saving for my own information.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
What will replace TSP Forum?  Well, at present there is a fairly active MeWe group, Survival Podcast Hang Out, at https://mewe.com/group/5acf93bba5f4e52822e780a1 (and as with most MeWe groups, you can't find out a single thing about it unless you join first).  For podcast-related discussions, the comments on Jack's TSP Blog are the place to go.

In addition, Jack has compiled a page of TSP-related social media (most of which I didn't even know about!):
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/get-social

There is some discussion about starting up a new, much smaller and leaner forum.

Docwatmo is trying to set one up.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
Also, I've disabled registration for new members.

Online Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
not good news; what else do I read at 3am when I wake up at the wrong time.

Tripwire / OSSEC  and it's ilk would be help ID files that are new to the party.

The few times I needed to access the members brigade area have been thru this portal.

Sad news, I figured with no news on the server move something was a foot, or with more than one website, something a feet?