Author Topic: Corrosive ammo--how to clean your gun after firing it  (Read 20427 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Corrosive ammo--how to clean your gun after firing it
« on: November 26, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
I've been shooting an AK-74 and using--of course--mil surp 5.45 x 39.  It's corrosive.  Like Mosin-Nagant ammo.  If it comes in a spam can, it's corrosive:

Corrosive ammo requires one extra step for cleaning. 

In a nutshell, the primers in corrosive ammo are corrosive.  They actually have some salts in them that, if not neutralized and cleaned off, will interact with moisture in the air to cause rust.  So the objective is to neutralize and remove the salt residue.

Good news: the neutralizing agent is:

Generic Windex will do too.  It's the ammonia in it that neutralizes the salts.

So you need to get a little Windex on every metal surface of your gun.  Just a little is enough.

Oh, by the way, you need to do this right after shooting.  Waiting more than a couple hours can start the rusting process. 

Some people say you just need to squirt Windex on everything and then clean like normal.  I don't know if that works; it might.  I did what other guys said, which is to spray with Windex, wash in hot water, dry, and then clean like normal.  I think my method is the most people do; you might get away with less.  But I'm not a big fan of risking rust to my guns when I can spend an extra few minutes and do it right. 

Here are some pictures from when I cleaned my AK-74 after shooting Russian surplus 5.45 x 39.  I was all alone with a camera so the photography isn't spectacular.

Here's what you need:  Windex or other glass cleaner with ammonia, some hot water (in a thermos), and some room temp water, and a little washing tray:

(You might notice the Washington Potatoes thermos.  Washington potatoes are, indeed, better than those punk ass spuds from Idaho.  If you're from Idaho, I'm sorry you are surrounded by substandard potatoes.  OK, back to the post on cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.)

Disassemble the parts, squirt them liberally with Windex (getting every nook and cranny), and then put them in a tray of hot water:

Then squirt Windex on the inside of the receiver:

If you have an AK-74, pay special attention to the muzzle brake.  It comes off easily (push in the detent and screw it off).  There are lots of areas that get blast in there; the blast sprays the salts all throughout.  I use a toothbrush and squirt the hell out of the muzzle brake with Windex:

Squirt lots of Windex down the barrel.  I use one of these (in gun stores in the cleaning section) to get hot water down the barrel.  I put about a dozen of these things full of hot water down the barrel:

After Windexing the parts, put them in the tray with hot water.  This is a solution of Windex and hot water, which is great for getting the salts off:

Then rinse by pouring regular water in the tray (no picture; sorry).

Dump out the Windex solution water:

Since you don't want water in your gun, and you just soaked everything, dry off every part.  Twice.  Keep track of the outside temperature.  If it's 40 degrees and raining like it was when I did this, don't expect things to dry on their own.  I have a dedicated towel for AK-74 cleanings:

Another picture to emphasize the importance of drying off your pieces:

I dry the barrel by running patches through it until they come out dry.

Then I do the regular cleaning.  But I start with Gun Scrubber, which is known for drying things out (like lube).  I figure something that dries things out is good to make sure all the water is gone:

Pay special attention to the gas tube.  It's full of powder residue--which means it's full of salts:

Then clean with your normal cleaner, which for me is Hoppe's No. 9:

The final step is a coating of Barricade, which is a rust preventative and lubricant:

The picture sucks, so here is what Barricade looks like so you can get some if you'd like:

One final step is to check your gun in a day or two and make sure you didn't miss a spot with the Windex.  If you did, you'll see some rust.  You can get it off with Outers Rust Remover:

Finally, here's a good resource on cleaning after corrosive ammo: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp

Corrosive ammo is so dang cheap ($0.12 a round for 5.45).  It's worth it to do the Windex cleaning to get that good price IMHO.

Hope this helps.

OldManSchmidt

Re: Corrosive ammo--how to clean your gun after firing it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
Didn't know about the Windex.  I always just used Dawn and warm water followed by drying and oiling.  Then again, it is a lot easier to scrub those old Mosin's.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »
Windex is the ticket.  I just shoot it down the barrel and mop it out with 2 or 3 patches damp with windex.  Then clean as normal; never had a rust problem.  Using this method, I've never worried about corrosive ammo.  Chrome lined barrels also help, thats why the commies use them.

Offline Eichenlaub

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:07 AM »
any one know, or do any research into, how the bad guys clean their guns in the field?
do they carry an ammonia based cleaner with them or what?

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
If they don't have any cleaner of any kind they piss down the barrel and on the parts. 

Offline Eichenlaub

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
Good answer.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
If they don't have any cleaner of any kind they piss down the barrel and on the parts. 

Oh great!  So, now if TSHTF I have to keep a communist around just to piss down my Mosin's barrel!

Offline templar223

• Survivor
    • GSL Defense Training
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

Wanna borrow my Mosin?  It's still dripping.

Offline Condition1

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Urinating down the barrel is something that has been practiced on the battle field.
However if Windex turns you off there is a substitute!

Sweets 7.62 solvent... I've used it exclusively on my SVT-40 and never had an issue with corrosion...

Here's a link to it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=643582

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
There's ammonia in Sweets. Great.  Thanks.

Offline HirosStorageUnit

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
I have always been a fan for 1 part Balistol mixed with 9 parts water.

Just spray and or soak then leave it shake off the exess and then spray with ballistol and call it a day.

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
I've never used windex but i'll have to try it. I have alway used good ole hot soapy water in the kitchen sink and then oil the crap out of it, I've never had a problem

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »
In Idaho, we shoot guns that you don't have to pee on or wipe with toilet cleaner.

In communist Washington, gun pee's on you!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
I just love $0.12 a round for 5.45.  Call me nuts.

I have a case of non-corrosive 5.45 for when I might need to use an AK-74 but can't stop and get some Windex to clean with.   

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
I was a squid, so this is an honest question.  How are our soldiers taught to care for their rifles?  Just curious?

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:14 PM »
Our soldiers don't use corrosive ammo.  Commies do.  The corrosive 5.45 I'm talking about is made in Russia. 

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Our soldiers don't use corrosive ammo.  Commies do.  The corrosive 5.45 I'm talking about is made in Russia. 

I read somewhere that WWII ammo was corrosive, and that's why it's hard to find an M1 Garand with its original barrel.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
I meant we don't currently use corrosive ammo.

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
I've heard windex works well, never tried it, but I use good ole hot dish detergent water, and oil good after wards. the same as black powder firearms. never had a problem.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Urinating down the barrel is something that has been practiced on the battle field.
However if Windex turns you off there is a substitute!

Sweets 7.62 solvent... I've used it exclusively on my SVT-40 and never had an issue with corrosion...

Here's a link to it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=643582
  that stuff is sweet stinks like he&^ but gets the jub done, and does a great job of removing copper deposits from the barrell