Author Topic: Cleaning mold out of wool pants?  (Read 10310 times)

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
Cleaning mold out of wool pants?
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but it seems most of the fiber folks are among the lady survivors.

My FIL gave me some beautiful wool army pants, but they smell very strong of mold.  There doesn't seem to be any visible damage though.  Is there a way to wash the mold out and salvage these pants? 

I took them to the local dry cleaner which does restoration from fire damage and mold, but they said they couldn't get it out, since they could only be dry cleaned, and that process wouldn't be able to flush all of the mold out.   

Does anyone have suggestions?  My only thought is to soak them and maybe power wash them.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Cleaning mold out of wool pants?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Don't know if this will get it done but would suggest washing in Woolite then hang out to dry in the sunshine. Something about sunshine kills mold spores. I had to do this with an Itialian wool blanket I bought. If the wool is not falling apart or holes in it like when you get battery acid on a piece of clothing then it should be ok. Only problem I see is comming up with some good sunshine this time of the year.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
Vinegar takes out mildew smell but in the wash. I wonder if it would shrink the pants to spray white vinegar on them and then hang them out? I guess it is worth a try since you can't wear them the way they are

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Fiber folk here.

Best thing to do for them is get them in sunshine.  I lkike sweethearts mom's idea of spritzing them with vinegar, but good old sunshine will do the trick.

If you are in a place where it snows, put them on a snow bank in the sun.  You'll want to expose front and back, inside and out to the sun.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
Ozone is another thing that should do the trick.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Thanks for all the tips!

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
Ozone is another thing that should do the trick.
Ozone?? Are you talking about a product??

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
Ozone?? Are you talking about a product??

Ozone is a gas. It happens naturally in the environment or it can be artificially created. For the latter there are many products sold that produce it, most notably the majority of air purifiers. High concentrations of ozone are lethal but can be an excellent option for ridding an environment or specific items of mold, mildew, dust mites, etc, when other options are not feasibile.

I'm not advertising a product, I'm simply mentioning the existence of a method that would kill mold.

That being said, I'd definitely go for the sunlight first. :)

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:32:03 AM »
First, NEVER use Woolite on woolen clothing. It will actually do more damage than good. When I wash wool fleeces or sweaters (which is fairly frequently), I use Dawn dishwashing detergent. It is pH neutral and does a nice job of cleaning without stripping the natural oils out. A lot of yarn stores also sell a product called Eucalan, which is also good.

I've also found that Febreze will take the smell out of clothing when nothing else will. It's the ONLY thing I've found that will remove the smell of diesel oil from my husband's clothes (he does concrete construction for a living and they spray diesel oil on the forms to get the to release from the concrete after it cures). Even sunshine won't remove that smell, but Febreze will.