Author Topic: Storing unused 02 absorbers  (Read 10786 times)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
Storing unused 02 absorbers
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
I see the best deals on 02 absorbers are packs of 100.

I don't expect to use more than 10-20 at any one packing session- how critical is it to get these vacum packed when you reseal them to keep them effective? Is just putting them in a sealed bag or can quickly if you don't use them enough, or do they have to be vacum packed to remain "fresh"?

If I get 100, would I be better off to repack them in lots of 10 the first time I use any so when I go back and do more I am not rexposing all of them to more oxygen?

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Storing unused 02 absorbers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
They definitely have a finite ability to absorb O2.

I use canning jars to store my unused ones, and try to keep the jars full at any given time so the ambient oxygen in the jar is absorbed by as many O2 packs as possible.

I dont see a problem storing 10 at a time if you have a small enough container or mylar bag to do so. 

Vacuum packing them might be an excellent option, like if you have a food saver. Vacuum pack them then freeze them.  Will greatly limt the O2 available to be absorbed and the cold temp will reduce the chemical reaction of the packs themselves.  I would think you'd want to put these in a mylar bag as well, since my understanding is the vacuum pack bags are mildly permeable to oxygen, so it will leach in over time.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
I see the best deals on 02 absorbers are packs of 100.

I don't expect to use more than 10-20 at any one packing session- how critical is it to get these vacum packed when you reseal them to keep them effective? Is just putting them in a sealed bag or can quickly if you don't use them enough, or do they have to be vacum packed to remain "fresh"?

If I get 100, would I be better off to repack them in lots of 10 the first time I use any so when I go back and do more I am not rexposing all of them to more oxygen?

The second that you break the seal on a package of O2 absorbers they start working. The absorbers "suck up" oxygen until they can no longer do so, and as long as there is oxygen present they will work if they can, so it's crucial to store them in either a vacuum sealed bag, vacuum seal capable bag or in as small a seal capable mason jar that they will fit in.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer or any mason jars, run to the store and pick up some replacement bags for one of those handheld vacuum sealers. It's a fairly cheap option. The Ziploc Hand Vacuum Pump Starter Kit with a pump and a couple of different size bags costs less than $5.00 from what I've seen.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:11:51 AM by Nicodemus »

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »
I prepare my buckets & Mylar bags with the items I plan to seal...then open the O2 absorbers and place in the buckets.

I then immediately seal the un-used O2 absorbers with my little B&D Vac sealer. Then I seal my buckets.
So far this has worked well for me.

Some folks use jars, but since my method has worked for me thus far I suppose I'm sticking with it.  :)

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
I just keep them in a mason jar and use as needed. Prep the food, drop absorbers in, seal jar and then seal bag

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
Thanks guys! I have lots of baby food jars handy so I will repack them with as many as fit, then use them from there.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:38:09 AM »
Thanks guys! I have lots of baby food jars handy so I will repack them with as many as fit, then use them from there.

That sounds like a good idea. Makes sense.  :)

Please let us know how it works out.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
When I bought 100 count of 500cc O2 absorbers they came in 2 packs of 50.  I opened one pack and pulled out about 20 and put them in the smallest mason jar they  would all fit in.  Then I used my food saver to vac-seal the rest.  This way I have a few in the jar for quick access and the bulk stay vacuum sealed for a later date.  Also make sure you snug your jar lid down and check for a vacuumed so to ensure a good seal!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
I hear that if you put an O2 absorber in with your O2 absorbers it will preserve them and help them stay "fresh"...  :rofl:

Sorry... Couldn't help myself...

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
I hear that if you put an O2 absorber in with your O2 absorbers it will preserve them and help them stay "fresh"...  :rofl:

Sorry... Couldn't help myself...

where's the "like" button!   ;D

Offline Oni

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
I also keep unused oxygen absorbers in Mason jars, I use the Mason jar accessory and my foodsaver to suck out as much air as possible so the packets have as much "life" left as possible.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:09 AM »
I also keep unused oxygen absorbers in Mason jars, I use the Mason jar accessory and my foodsaver to suck out as much air as possible so the packets have as much "life" left as possible.

Thats a great idea!  How do you like your Mason jar accessory?  I've been thinking about ordering one.

Offline Oni

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
Thats a great idea!  How do you like your Mason jar accessory?  I've been thinking about ordering one.

I love it and highly recommend it.  It's great for storing stuff used for cooking as you can just use what you need and reseal the jar.

I read on a thread here somewhere that you can use the Foodsaver large container to vacuum seal jars like used spaghetti sauce jars.  Just put the jar inside the FS container and vacuum it out, when the vacuum is released the jar is under vacuum.  I think the original poster was storing Halloween candy in Ragu jars or something like that.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
I love it and highly recommend it.  It's great for storing stuff used for cooking as you can just use what you need and reseal the jar.

I read on a thread here somewhere that you can use the Foodsaver large container to vacuum seal jars like used spaghetti sauce jars.  Just put the jar inside the FS container and vacuum it out, when the vacuum is released the jar is under vacuum.  I think the original poster was storing Halloween candy in Ragu jars or something like that.

I think I saw them on Amazon for about $10 bucks, they had a widemouth and one for a standard mason jar.  I'm gonna go ahead and order them.  Also the large storage container trick is also a great Idea!  Thanks!

Offline ga-qhd

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »

This approach will probably work very well.  My 100 O2 absorbers came in a bag, and I also got a bag clip to close them back up with.  I tested one a year later and it was still functioning well.  I have the jar attachment so may try that with the remainder the next time I open the bag.