Author Topic: Advice for coyotes in eastern woods  (Read 3523 times)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Advice for coyotes in eastern woods
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »
Family property is about 150 acres, big valley, older hardwoods. Usually great deer woods -this year going in at 6am, hearing lots of yotes. This seems to be pushing deer off property / killing deer. Over a few hard days hunting, saw 2 does - again, really unusual for this land.

Any suggestions for hunting coyotes - my hunting partner and I have an electronic call and one of those things that spins around (looks like a fancy cat toy) - but have had no luck getting any action during the day. Due to the land, we will be in a blind about 75 yds from call - no big open meadows, etc. WV has a short nighttime spotlight season in Jan, but would like to thin the herd prior to that....

Are coyotes usually nocturnal - have no experience hunting them. Can you call them out in the daytime?

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
Re: Advice for coyotes in eastern woods
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
I'm out west,  the best calling I've had has been in early morning and dusk. But a injured rabbit call has brought them during the day.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
Joe, try dusk with a wounded rabbit blast. Always works here. Depending on pack size though, hunt from the back of a pick up, or better yet, a tree stand. There's been instances of larger packs attacking the hunters. Normally you'll only have 2-4, but over in Gilmer we had a pack of 7 (confirmed). If you try it at night it'll be best if you have some kind of night optic, if not, just exercise heightened caution, especially if you have a buddy with you.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »
Thanks Storm - I have been using a permanent blind, so fairly secure once I am in... it is a bit scary walking in the dark and hearing yotes barking and howling. I carry my G19 as well for backup. For night I plan on getting an amber spotlight.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
No problem. That should work, I don't know any one who uses an amber one, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Let me know how it goes.

Offline Tubby

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »
Joe,

If you can use a howl in Jan/Feb it is their breeding season.  Don't over call, and keep eyes peeled.  they are sneaky devils.  Scent control is a must as well.  maybe hunt out of a tree stand, gives you more freedom and visibility.  Wish you were closer.....LOVE hunting yokes and bobcats  ;D

Tubby

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Any advice on using calls - any pattern to calling? I have a cheap electronic that has several distress calls, howl, etc - but do you just use one call? I've been using mainly one distress call - call for 30 seconds or so and then wait 10 minutes and start over.

Offline Storm

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
If you have a confirmed pack that you know you're hunting and not several non-pack hunting pairs, I'd stick with an injured rabbit blast. If you have a pack on the land and you use a coyote howl, they might come to protect territory and be itching to fight. Throw out the injured blast every 5 or 6 minutes is how I've seen it done and work. Other than that...I got nothin'.

Offline Tubby

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
I would not wait 10 minutes between calls.  Start fairly soft don't blast it.  remember dogs have good ears.  Do 30-45 seconds they wait 30-40 seconds.  repeat, but don't stay in one spot calling for over 10-15 minutes.  i make a lot of predator calls, and hunt quite a few competitions here in TX.  Seems to work for us......