Author Topic: AOCS Coins  (Read 12567 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: AOCS Coins
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
hey pathfinder and crash... our inet is down (we are having an epic wind storm) so if you have emailed and havent gotten a response thats why.  i'll be able to get back to you once its up, or you can call me and i'll hand-check your package for you. phone # is in the contact info on the site!

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Sister Wolf,

Sent you an email. My coins arrived today, but sans 4 coins.  Looks like the package was damaged. It was kind of wet on one side. Half the coins were in a plastic bag, and half were loose.  When I opened it, there were only 21 coins instead of the 25.

:-(

Sent you an email and a photo.

---

FYI, I'd definitely pay the extra $1-$2 to have my coins shipped in a coin tube.  As a lot of mine arrived rather scratched up. (For those of us who like to collect, the tube is worth the extra cost. I know this is TSP's first time really dealing with such coin sales. So a lot to learn and adjust.  They do look nice btw. I'll probably buy more down the road.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-COIN-SAFE-SQUARE-TUBES-Medallion-Silver-Rounds-/160540475354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560f53fda

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
I didn't get the email or the photo, NUGUN. 

If you have a problem with the quality, I'll process a refund for you.  But if the package was damaged/wet, that's something the USPS has done, not me.

I will not be using coin tubes for shipping.  But I'd be more than happy to ship the remaining coins that you're missing out for ya.

Just out of curiosity, was the plastic bag sealed?  Because it should have been 25 coins to a bag, and the bags should have been sealed.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
I just received my coins.  They look awesome.  I only bought 5 of them, and I've given one to each of my kids, so I'll likely be ordering more.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
I just received my coins.  They look awesome.  I only bought 5 of them, and I've given one to each of my kids, so I'll likely be ordering more.

Awesome!  I'm glad you like them!

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
I didn't get the email or the photo, NUGUN. 

If you have a problem with the quality, I'll process a refund for you.  But if the package was damaged/wet, that's something the USPS has done, not me.

I will not be using coin tubes for shipping.  But I'd be more than happy to ship the remaining coins that you're missing out for ya.

Just out of curiosity, was the plastic bag sealed?  Because it should have been 25 coins to a bag, and the bags should have been sealed.

I accidentally sent the email to rockwellsurvival@fmail.com, have since resent it to rockwellsurvival@gmail.com

As for the bag, I think it was partially sealed. I still had to pull it apart to fully open it.  I'm not a 100% sure as I wasn't really paying attention as I opened the package quickly in my excitement to see the coins. It wasn't until I counted them that I realized something was wrong. Then looking at the wet spot, saw a split in the edge of the package about 2 1/2" wide.

Here is the photo

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
 :-\

How frustrating.  I'll check the rockwell survival email right now and get you another package sent out tomorrow.

I guess that answers my question about whether or not the flat rate envelopes work as well as they need to.  Nope.  Flat rate boxes from now on.

Grrr!

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
Envelopes probably would have worked if it hadn't been so freezing wet here.  Also, the bag let's the coins shift around a lot, and get scratches and marks.

If you use boxes in the future, I suggest rolling the bags, and taping them. This should help preserve the coins nicely.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I'll see what I can do about getting those coin tubes for the future.  :(  I'm really p-worded off that we already have lost merch.  ::)

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
((((((((Sister Wolf))))))))))))

We know this was the first shipment, and coins are kind of a very odd and finicky thing to ship (probably the only thing more odd and finicky are the coin collectors) LOL

FYI, it might even be worth it to talk to that guy Herb on ebay. He seems to have a lot experience shipping these, and might know what works best. I just ordered some of the Lakota coppers cause I really wanted those but they had been all sold out.   I told him about what happened, and how they kind of got scratched. And asked if he could swap out one Lakota for a mint TSP, and he told me he'd include one free. So he seems like a pretty cool guy.

And trust me, in no way do I blame you.  I have a hate-hate relationship with the U.S. Post Office. I can't even get into all the times they've totally screwed up shipping. Lost stuff. Damaged stuff. (And they never even tell you when something gets damaged. They just pass it along as if nothing ever happened.)

It's a shame UPS raised their rates recently, cause for a brief while they were cheaper than the post office for shipping many items. Especially when you factor in they have real tracking and $100 insurance.

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Oh, and let me say "I love the coins..."

But I've always been a fan of copper. I think it's more beautiful than gold. If it was only tarnish resistant like gold and platinum. (When Orange County Choppers built the Liberty bike out of copper taken from the Statue of Liberty, I was all but drooling. *LOL* But hey, even tarnished, copper is pretty cool. I am actually thinking of putting one copper round into some water to get it to tarnish.

jakematic

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
I'll see what I can do about getting those coin tubes for the future.  :(  I'm really p-worded off that we already have lost merch.  ::)

Let people buy the tubes, they arent cheap.

I do think a flat rate box would be better, with bubble wrap like APMEX uses. 

Mine arrived pretty crumpled and a few rounds have dings which is totally USPS fault. Not a complaint just an FYI.

They are so freaking awesome! I can't stop fondling them. 
Am keeping a few by my chair with the short stack of silver as a conversation starter.

Thanks so much for everything you do for us.

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »
Looks like the tubes are about 50 cents.  That's not too bad. So we pay $5.50-$6 S&H.  Part of shipping and handling is the handling (packaging, etc) I think most TSP members would find that reasonable.

They hold 20 coins.  So if Sister Wolf started using those. It'd probably make more sense to offer the coins in bundles of 20/40/etc.   

So my thought would be that TSP Store might want to revise the quantities (oh, how do I find the coppers on the store, I see the old challenge coin under coins - but not the new coppers.) 

http://www.apmex.com/Product/243/Medallion_Size_SQUARE_Coin_Tubes_39mm.aspx

(Don't know if that's the cheapest source. But it seems pretty reasonably priced to me.)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Another option is "coin flips".  These are inexpensive clear plastic holders.  You can put up to 2 coins in each.  They come in 2"x2" or 2.5"x2.5" sizes.  Example from Amazon but they're probably available cheaper than this.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I know it would not ship the same way, but how about those bubble wrap envelopes instead of the flat rate envelopes?  The shipping would probably have to be figured out, and different based on the number of coins, but they would protect them a bit better.

jakematic

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Looks like the tubes are about 50 cents.  That's not too bad. So we pay $5.50-$6 S&H.  Part of shipping and handling is the handling (packaging, etc) I think most TSP members would find that reasonable.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/243/Medallion_Size_SQUARE_Coin_Tubes_39mm.aspx

(Don't know if that's the cheapest source. But it seems pretty reasonably priced to me.)

Thanks for the link N.U.G.U.N.  They didn't fit any of my empty tubes and haven't had a chance to measure them yet.

Offline Jason from PA

• Survivor
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
Sleeves - those are great for a few coins 1-5.  But with more it's going to cost a lot, and worse...be a LOT of work stuffing them.

@Jake - You might be right about  the size. And it'd be worth getting a sample first.  The issue is that those are likely the width of standard 1oz silvers.  I have no idea what the weight/mass difference of copper to silver is, and how it relates to the coins diameter. It's quite possible the coppers have a wider diameter.

One of us will have to measure, and then see if we can get the square tubes in a width for the coppers.

jakematic

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
Agree on flips. Drives me crazy when APMEX uses them for 50 ounces. 5 or less I could see.

39mm is a perfect fit.  I didn't have any empty domestic tubes, so I opened a QSB tube in 39 to try.

They are a little sloppy in an ASE (41mm) tube but could work in a pinch.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
I know it would not ship the same way, but how about those bubble wrap envelopes instead of the flat rate envelopes?  The shipping would probably have to be figured out, and different based on the number of coins, but they would protect them a bit better.

Flat rate box for 50 coins = $5.00

Flat rate envelope for 50 coins = $4.75

Bubble mailer for 50 coins = $12.21

;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
I'll order some 39 mm tubes then - THANK YOU for figuring out which would be best.

I really wish there was a free way to do this.  I may go out and get some bubble wrap for folks who haven't had their boxes packed up yet.

For those of you who are REALLY unhappy with the way these were treated - send me a note (at tspgearsupport@gmail.com ).  I will send you some free swag, and a lovingly hand-written note from myself with a big huge apology on it.

:)

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I got my tracking number tonight. Thanks.  ;D

I also ship quite a bit long distance. I use a flat rate box, plastic tube, and bubble envelope. It hasn't failed me yet. I put the tube of coins, taped up with packaging tape, in the bubble mailer, then the whole thing in the flat rate box. You can get boxes of bubble mailers cheap. The tubes are well worth it considering they protect against damage and loss. In the long run, you'll be much better off. Yes the tubes only hold 20, but with the money you save by sending only 20, you cover the costs.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 08:27:05 PM »
Flat rate box for 50 coins = $5.00

Flat rate envelope for 50 coins = $4.75

Bubble mailer for 50 coins = $12.21

;)

Sheesh.

Okay, how about Self-Adhesive Corrugated Paper?  12" wide, just right for a flat-rate envelope.  Cut a piece 18" long. place coins on half of it, fold it over, insert in flat-rate envelope.

I've received coins packed in this stuff (yes, they were in coin flips inside the corrugated wrap, but that might not be necessary for you).  Very well protected.

(Don't mind me, I'm just brainstorming.  Eventually I'll have a brainfunnelcloud and it'll suck everything out.)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
I got my tracking number tonight. Thanks.  ;D

I also ship quite a bit long distance. I use a flat rate box, plastic tube, and bubble envelope. It hasn't failed me yet. I put the tube of coins, taped up with packaging tape, in the bubble mailer, then the whole thing in the flat rate box. You can get boxes of bubble mailers cheap. The tubes are well worth it considering they protect against damage and loss. In the long run, you'll be much better off. Yes the tubes only hold 20, but with the money you save by sending only 20, you cover the costs.

Yeah, I think this is the way I'll do it - or something similar.  I'll have to go get some bubble wrap from Target for now so that the folks whose boxes are going out tonight/tomorrow morning are at least SOMEWHAT protected.  I don't know where I could get the coin tubes (except for on the internet), and I can't hold orders back any longer than I already have, so that solution will have to be a long term one.

Sheesh.

Yeah, I about choked when I first started mailing these out.  Flat rate it is, and flat rate it'll have to stay.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
I just remembered a dream I had last night.  I was trying to pay a bill, and the cash register had lots of bright copper TSP coins in it.  All I had in my wallet was paper money, and for some reason it was all worthless -- foreign bills, or experimental $50s with perforations, or $13 bills that nobody would accept.

Creepy...

Offline TOWcritter

• Prepper
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
On a positive note for me, My coins will be delivered today!  Yea!  I also found this article which I thought the gear shop crowd would enjoy.  Copper hit an all time high today!!!
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/02.11/copper.html

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Got my coins today and they. . . . are . . . . . stunning!!

And I just happened to have some plastic silver dollar cases that they fit in just fine.

Thankyousoverymuch!

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
Here's a source for the 39mm tubes. The cost is under 50 cents each.

http://www.coinsupplystore.com/site/1648271/product/4070%20x100

Once they come in, I'd suggest packing the coins in the tubes immediately using gloved hands. White cotton gloves work best. This way they stay mint fresh (not minty  ;D ) and uncirculated. Coins that are in good shape are worth more. The more dings and oxidation they have, the more the value goes down. Not to mention, it will help with shipping and inventory. Mine are all in plastic mint tubes or air tights.

BTW, what was the total run on these? How many were minted? That also effects the value. Once the dies are smashed and no more are minted, the price will jump. Look at what Bud's Gun Shop did. They ran the 2010 copper rounds, then smashed the dies and they are putting out a new design this year. The 2010's just jumped from $1.35 to over $4 each IF you can get them (I just took delivery on 20 more today, probably the last I'll be able to get in bulk).

I also have several 2008 copper Ron Paul NORFEDs that only 3,500 got out before the raid. They're now auctioning at up to $70 each for a $1 coin. The 2008 silver ones ($20 face value) have gone as high as $450. The copper Tea Party dollars are going for $8 a coin and rising fast. 16,000 of those got out pre-raid, I have 25 right now. Remember, these are of much more value than scrap copper because of the design and rarity, yours included.

I've been dealing in coins as a hobby since the late 1960s. If you need any advice let me know.

Oh and as for popularity? Here are my 5 top sellers as of last weekend:

1: Gun Dollars (Bud's Gun Shop/NORFED design)
2: Tea Party Dollars (NORFED)
3:TSP (Yep, they're VERY popular in FL and started selling the day after I got them from Bernie)
4: Lakota Free Bank (AOCS)
5: Ron Paul 2008 copper (NORFED only 3,500 exist and the price is probably a bit high for most, otherwise...)

Hope this helped

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Crash,

Thank you!!!!  I'll order some of those tubes tonight.

To answer your questions:

1. The total run (so far) for us on these is 13,000.  Second run won't be that big, and I won't be handling pre-orders (yay!!!).

2. The actual total run for everybody who ordered, is closer to 20,000.  Maybe more.  I know Bernie did a second run, so it might be WELL over 20,000 at this point.

3. Regarding your popularity - have you considered just ordering straight from the mint?  You'll get a slightly better price than what Bernie gives you, or what I would give you, but you need to order at least a thousand (or more.. not sure) to get the mint to do it for ya.  If you want, I can put you in touch with the mint if you want to make a huge order at some point.

4.  I'm really fond of this die.  I'm not sure we'll be smashing it any time soon.  But hell, maybe that'll change toward the end of this year.  Really depends on what you guys want.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
YAY!!!!! I received the email that my coins have shipped!!!!  WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!11111oneoneone

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
got my package safe and sound.  They look great.  Thanks!