Author Topic: AOCS Coins  (Read 12274 times)

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
Re: AOCS Coins
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Ok, here the deal on AOCS vs Bernie.  ;D Believe it or not, I get the rounds for less and get faster shipping through Bernie. It's incredible, don't know how he does it. The guy must have major connections or he's ordering a LOT at a time.

Example, I ordered 20 Lakotas from Bernie and 20 Free State Project from AOCS within minutes of each other. Enough time to switch websites and place the order. I got Bernie's Lakotas this week and I'm still waiting on AOCS' Free State rounds to even ship. I spent $29.99 on the Lakotas and over $40 on the Free States, including shipping on both.

I don't sell that many to buy thousands, but have a few very loyal customers who buy a few at a time when I get them in. Just sent an order of 20 to Canada yesterday, 5 each of 4 designs. They're dedicated, if nothing else, and I'm just a hobbyist who likes to make a bit back on purchasing my collection. Takes the bite out a bit.

Yeah, the minting on the TSPs is probably near 20,000 which really isn't that much, as minting goes. That certainly helps the value. I know everyone I've shown these TSP coins to has loved them. You guys did a bang up job for sure.

Sooner or later, the dies will wear out. Even a minor adjustment like a font change would make the 1st run stand out as being the 1st run. NORFED did that. They kept the same basic design, but modified it slightly as dies wore out or years passed. Coin guys look for even the smallest changes and buy each one as they're released to have full sets. Yeah, we're different.  ;D

Have a good one.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:21:44 PM by Crash »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Okay guys, I have to list the coins as temporarily sold out for now.

One of our customers in Pennsylvania was VERY excited to receive his package today (which was supposed to have 100 coins in it), only to open the package and find.... *drum roll please*  A used novel.  :wtf:

So he emailed and I immediately called him back (THANK YOU for leaving your phone number in your email.  I'm out so often dealing with different things, it's sometimes easier for me to call you than it is for me to email you) with all kinds of wtf.  A USED BOOK?  WUT?  GAH!!!!!

So... Obviously I didn't send one of my customers a used book.  Or any kind of book, for that matter.  :D

He was extremely nice about the whole thing, but now I have to re-ship his coins out tomorrow.  Until I know that all of our coins arrive safe and sound in their owners pockets, I cannot sell any more than I've got right now.

I'm sorry if you've waited this long to order them, or are wanting to order more.  I'll post something about this on the website once I de-frazzle myself.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2011, 10:41:38 PM »
What is it with delivery service these days?  I mean come on.... a used book?  Someone... in said delivery system needs to have to size 13 broken off in their arse. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
So Crash... I've got a question.

TW was sorting through the coppers we have left, bagging them up and taping the bags together, and all that, and... he found a blank round!  Totally blank.  It was supposed to be a TSP copper round, but it didn't even get the edge stamped.  It's just a plain, totally blank round.

Would something like that even be sellable?  Or is that just an oddity for us to appreciate here in the WilderWolf house?

Offline TOWcritter

• Prepper
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
Just a note to let you know that I received my TSP coins yesterday!  All 50 were there.  Here's the bad news.  The package that you shipped them in was opened. Either by dropping (Rough handling) because of the weight of 50 coins or by the "Powers that be" in the Postal service.  They were in the baggies, (25 per) ,inside the shipping package with a big rubber band wrapped around it.  Maybe the weight is just too much for that type of packaging.  Just wanted you to know.  They are awesome though.  I'm keeping one in my pocket just to show off and inform people of the "Alternative" to the Federal Reserve System.  Thanks again!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
Somewhere, there is someone who ordered a used book and was astonished to find 100 copper coins in the envelope.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
Just curious, are there many orders left to ship?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
Somewhere, there is someone who ordered a used book and was astonished to find 100 copper coins in the envelope.

But they didn't order the book from me, and that's the weird part.  The last time I sent a book to somebody was... never.

About 30, or so.  They should be out this afternoon and then I will be done with it.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
But they didn't order the book from me, and that's the weird part.  The last time I sent a book to somebody was... never.

My guess is that 2 packages came open in some mail-sorting facility -- one with a book and one with the coins.  And somebody stuffed the contents back into the packages and taped 'em up, but got them reversed.

Either that or somebody stole the coins and substituted a random object that weighed about the same.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
My guess is that 2 packages came open in some mail-sorting facility -- one with a book and one with the coins.  And somebody stuffed the contents back into the packages and taped 'em up, but got them reversed.

Either that or somebody stole the coins and substituted a random object that weighed about the same.

I'm thinking your first situation is the more likely.  When I first heard about it, I was freaking out that USPS is now a bunch of thieves too.  But the more I thought about it last night, the more I realized that it was probably some very confused and well-meaning USPS dude who was trying to make sure that the packages got to their respective owners.  :(

Very frustrating, but more of an inconvenience than a problem.  Thank god for understanding customers.

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
Are orders from the first shipment still being shipped? I am waiting on mine.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Are orders from the first shipment still being shipped? I am waiting on mine.

yes!  and if you're international (not saying you are, just saying IF), i can't give tracking numbers.  i am having to hand ship those due to weight and tracking numbers dont transfer between countries with usps.

also, i had a couple (not many) problems with shipping some folks domestic stuff.  paypal was throwing a fit regarding printing out one or two of the labels.  so i have to hand ship those as well.  outdoor fury, if you'll PM me with your last name, I'll tell ya where you stand.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »
I got my, perfect!  they didn't blow down the road and I can sleep easy now.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
SW, I spoke with you today just as you were headed out the door. FYI - No email here at home, so I guess no shipment as yet - coins and med pack. Ordered 12/5/10.

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
So Crash... I've got a question.

TW was sorting through the coppers we have left, bagging them up and taping the bags together, and all that, and... he found a blank round!  Totally blank.  It was supposed to be a TSP copper round, but it didn't even get the edge stamped.  It's just a plain, totally blank round.

Would something like that even be sellable?  Or is that just an oddity for us to appreciate here in the WilderWolf house?

OMG you got a totally blank planchet? YES! that is very collectible, especially from AOCS. They rarely make any mistakes and they're very thorough. WOW! I have a few that made it out of the US mint, penny, dime, but this is pretty much unheard of. If you haven't looked at their mint online, do so. It's educational. http://aocsmint.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1&chapter=0 I'd definitely say put it in a single coin airtight holder (most hobby shops or coin dealers have them at around 50 cents each and make sure it fits because the blank should be wider than the stamped coins at 39 mm, maybe 40 mm??) and hang onto it. Keep any records so it's got provenance. Anything you can do to verify it. That's a real gem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:18:46 PM by Crash »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
SW, I spoke with you today just as you were headed out the door. FYI - No email here at home, so I guess no shipment as yet - coins and med pack. Ordered 12/5/10.

No, I just got dang busy doin' somethin'.

It has shipped!!  I show that it was packed up on the 31st, and went out the door on the 2nd.  It should be to you in a few days (Wednesday or sooner, probably).  I'll PM you with tracking info since you didn't get it from Paypal.

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »
Update. I did some looking and the only blank bullion planchet I found was a US Silver Eagle certified by ANACS. You can also go through PCGS or ICG for grading. NGS evidently won't accept bullion. You can google the grading companies for websites or hit me back and I'll dig more.

Sitting down? Now yours is copper, but, the Silver Eagle's up to $399.00 with 2 bids at auction with 2 1/2 days left for bidding. I'd say it will most likely go above $750, probably closer to $1000. Figure yours at around 1/3 of the auction value on the SE. Could go higher?? Depends on who's bidding. I'd say a figure of $300 wouldn't be out of line on a good day if it was slabbed (verified and sealed with certificate).

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »

My two current favorite copper reserves!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:27:15 PM by RacinRob »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
GORGEOUS!!!  Can I use that photo as the sale photo if I credit you for it?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
Update. I did some looking and the only blank bullion planchet I found was a US Silver Eagle certified by ANACS. You can also go through PCGS or ICG for grading. NGS evidently won't accept bullion. You can google the grading companies for websites or hit me back and I'll dig more.

Sitting down? Now yours is copper, but, the Silver Eagle's up to $399.00 with 2 bids at auction with 2 1/2 days left for bidding. I'd say it will most likely go above $750, probably closer to $1000. Figure yours at around 1/3 of the auction value on the SE. Could go higher?? Depends on who's bidding. I'd say a figure of $300 wouldn't be out of line on a good day if it was slabbed (verified and sealed with certificate).

*swallows hard and promptly chokes*  Holy... Crap.  I'm so glad that at least one of our TSP guys is a coin collector.  I never EVER would have thought anything close to that.

I'm... blown away.  Just wow.

I'll take a pic of it for ya. 

Hey Rob, what kind of filter did you use to photograph those coppers?  I want to be sure to use it in the future on any coppers we have made.  Is it a yellow of some kind, or a red?

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
Sure you can use it. As you can see I used some pretty high tech stuff to get the shot just right.  I think that it came out yellowish because the camera I have doesn't have the best color rendering, I didn't save them but I snapped a couple with my wife's camera and the color was very different.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:44:14 PM by RacinRob »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »

My two current favorite copper reserves!
Great picture!

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
*swallows hard and promptly chokes*  Holy... Crap.  I'm so glad that at least one of our TSP guys is a coin collector.  I never EVER would have thought anything close to that.

I'm... blown away.  Just wow.

I'll take a pic of it for ya. 

Hey Rob, what kind of filter did you use to photograph those coppers?  I want to be sure to use it in the future on any coppers we have made.  Is it a yellow of some kind, or a red?

I went to see my local coin/bullion guy and talk to him about the blank planchet, but he's gone for the weekend at a show. Tomorrow's Super Bowl Sunday, so write that off as a lost day. I'm a major Cheesehead, what can I say? My order should be here monday morning in the mail, so I'll get down to his shop after the mail runs. It's either that or call Bernie on it. I want to see just exactly how rare that thing is. I know I've never seen one. Either way, I'll post and let you know something and about how the coins arrived. Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!!

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:14 AM »
Sure you can use it. As you can see I used some pretty high tech stuff to get the shot just right.  I think that it came out yellowish because the camera I have doesn't have the best color rendering, I didn't save them but I snapped a couple with my wife's camera and the color was very different.

I like the coloring on that picture. I think it adds to it. Has a warm feeling. Nice theme too. Rounds and Rounds.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Quote from: TNVolunteer on February 04, 2011, 11:16:28 AM

About 30, or so.  They should be out this afternoon and then I will be done with it.  

Thanks Sis Wolf.  I haven't received a shipment notification or tracking info for the order I placed.  Would you be able to forward?  Thanks.

TNV

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
THEY'RE HERE! Doing the happy dance! They arrived today in great shape and just in time, since I am now down to 4 from the original 20 I got from Bernie. BTW, the TSP coins are now #2 on the best seller list after this weekend, right, and I mean right behind the Liberty Gun Dollars and almost tied for #1. I'm tabling at a gun show in 2 weeks where I'll be selling both TSP and Gun Dollars. I'll post on how it goes. I would imagine it will be neck and neck again.

SW, I'm still looking for info on that blank Planchet and coming up with little to none. Evidently, they are very rare. I will be calling AOCS today on my order and will ask them about it while I have them on the phone. Maybe I'll get an answer from the source. Meantime, treat it as a precious gem.  ;D

Update: I just got off the phone with David at AOCS and he said "I've never heard of one before and it's extremely rare". He was actually shocked and at a loss for words. Evidently, you have the only one known to have gotten out EVER in the history of AOCS (the reason I couldn't find any info, no doubt). Personally, I'd hang onto it, seal it in an airtight, and get provenance on it because it can only increase in value. But if you choose to sell now, let the bidding begin, and watch it climb! $300 may be a very lowball  estimate now with this info in hand. I have a US penny error that is 90% off center with a full date. One very close to the same as mine recently auctioned (in Dec 2010) for $16,500, so figure accordingly with the fact you have the only one that got out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:02:35 PM by Crash »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
David's a very nice guy.  I like him and I like dealing with him.

As for the blank planchet, if you want it Crash, I'd be more than happy to sell it to you at the $300 mark.

Offline Crash

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
If I had the cash right now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Still waiting to hear back on the house sale. A lot hinges on that deal.

I got myself overextended on another business venture (Biker Leathers) and wound up taking a huge loss, but I'm recovering slowly. This economy sucks. Bottom line is, I can still eat and pay the bills and I haven't had to part with my rare coins or guitars. I still have a small amount each month to get copper and a little silver and I bought my limit this pay period.

Let me see where things shake out after I get paid in about 2 weeks. Personally, I'd hang onto it and watch what the market does. Not that I don't really want it, but $300 is practically giving this away. Are you sure you want to do this? Think seriously about it.

Offline Travis

• Prepper
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »
Those coins look lovely.  I wish my 50 were in the package that the letter carrier dropped off at my house.

I'm headed to the USPS I guess.

Are the coins insured in someway.

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
Received my package... didn't know people were having issues with their shipments until I came on here to voice my concern.

The coins were in zip-lock baggies, which were of course torn. I'm missing 8 out of my order of 100. The coins are also dinged up. Not sure I have a mint condition one in the bunch.

For some reason, I thought these were being shipped in coin tubes. If I would have known otherwise, I would have sprung for it and shipped it to you beforehand.