Author Topic: Hairstyles and Hair care  (Read 2782 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Hairstyles and Hair care
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Well this may sound weird, but it turned into a legitimate discussion here the other day.

I have noticed that a lot of survivalist people have little to no hair. I am completely bald and shave 2-3 times a week. I also wear a full goatee and trim it about 1 per week. In our preps we have stocks of shaving cream and disposable razors. We also have a beard trim kit with real scissors and a real straight blade razor. It took me almost 4 months to get good with the straight blade and scissors. We have also prepped for me to grow hair and have shampoo stocked in case we get there. Tracy has long hair but we have also learned how to cut hair with scissors and have a set large enough to trim large amounts of hair.

How have you prepped for hair care after SHTF? Is one hairstyle preferred over the other? The only argument I have is to keep you warm in cold climates you want more hair, and vice versa for bald in the hot climates. But then again if you are completely bald you have to worry about sunburning you head. I would also think that keeping hair trimmed would be more hygienic in a less than clean world.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Hairstyles and Hair care
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »
I've been too lazy to do so lately, but 90% of the haircuts I have gotten in the past 5 years were done by me. I think it's one of those things that you can figure out in a few tries, or you won't...

If I can still use electric clippers, this is very easy - scissor cutting your own hair is a bit harder.

I would not say that I can cut women's hair for normal purposes, but in an emergency I can certainly keep it neat and even.

Given a choice for a SHTF situation, I want short hair. I would assume that showers will be at least reduced as compared to normal - and want to avoid lice, fleas, etc. My SIL is an Army Captain and wears her hair very long - even deployed. She just spends a lot of time braiding.

amanadoo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
Interesting thread....

I [am a woman] recently cut my hair very short and I **LOVE** the way it looks. However, I am growing it out to very, very long once again, because the upkeep on a woman's short haircut does not come cheap! When it's long A--I can trim it myself and B--it's easier to get it out of the way by braiding, etc...than it is when it's short, requiring a million pins. If i were a dude in SHTF I'd definitely shave it off!

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »
Hair length for SHTF should be whatever's easiest and the least stressful for that individual. The specifics vary.

I've never been in a salon and don't plan to be. I grew up within the mindset that you either cut your own hair or hand off the scissors to someone nearby and don't complain. :D Trial and error is a fairly effective learning method.

I enjoy my hair very long but I've had to cut down to the barest of bare upkeep for now, which means cutting it as short as I can while still being long enough to whip it into a bun within about 2 seconds using only a hair stick (or nearby crochet hook or anything else remotely stick-like). And said bun won't budge for several days if need be. For me, current circumstances dictate that my hair simply be as out of the way as possible with as little energy and time expended as feasible, and I think that would be the priority during an extended crisis situation.

Of course, it can definitely be a morale booster to retain the capability of making your hair all nice and pretty...not only to yourself but also to those around you (talking primarily to the other ladies).

Unless you're dragging long locks in the mud or something, hair really doesn't need to be washed as often as you might think in order to be hygenic. Many people actually find their hair becomes less greasy when they go longer between washings, and as for lice some sources say that they actually do better in clean hair than in dirty hair. Whether or not that's true, I'm just not seeing evidence that unwashed hair that's been neatly put back is somehow unsanitary. Where would it have come into contact with germs? The sebum released is not dirt, it's natural conditioner, and if you work it through your hair it can do its job properly and you just might have better hair than you could ever get with the store bought stuff.

One great way to prepare is to switch away from the standard shampoo and conditioner stuff. They're designed to work in a vicious cycle. 'Cones (anything ending in -cone) seal up your hair, making it feel smooth and giving it a lot of shine, but at the same time they also seal out moisture because nothing can get through the barrier. The majority of conditioners contain 'cones. The only way to introduce moisture back to the hair shaft is to strip away the sealant using sulfates, which are in almost all shampoos. And then you apply conditioner to moisturize, which also happens to contain 'cones, and the cycle repeats.

It's comparable to sanding down and refinishing a table instead of merely wiping off the crumbs--it's effective, but it's overkill.

Alternatives to the cycle focus on keeping the hair moisturized and free of damage. Since the cuticle isn't sealed up, it doesn't require shampooing in order to receive enough moisture to be in good shape and thus people find their hair can actually look good or even better after a few days without washing. There are many different alternate approaches, and different things work for different heads...for those with long hair or planning on growing it out and interested in learning more I recommend the Long Hair Community as an excellent source of info.

Of course, if shampoo and conditioner makes you happy then don't let me get in your way. :) I just know what it's like to go through the shock of suddenly no longer having those and not having a clue of what to do or how it's going to work...and the days of cotton candy hair...it isn't a fun experience and definitely not the kind of thing you want to be dealing with when TSHTF.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »
My hair is short, I love it short and I don't have the kind of hair that looks good long. I get it cut in a salon because I'm basically lazy but I can cut it myself with scissors and a couple of mirrors so I can see the back. When it needs a trim it's about 2" on top and 1/2" on the bottom. I use shampoo but I don't need conditioner so I never use it. It's basically brush and I'm ready so very easy care.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »
I [am a woman] recently cut my hair very short and I **LOVE** the way it looks. However, I am growing it out to very, very long once again, because the upkeep on a woman's short haircut does not come cheap!

I am with you here.  But I have to say that upkeep on long hair is ALSO very very expensive.  Or it can be.  Depends on what shampoo you use and what mousse and what pins and what curling iron, and what split end salve you use (and so on and so on and so on).

Just seems like it doesn't really matter.  If you want your hair to look better than it does when you get up and brush it, you have to spend a ton of money.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »
I cut my hair myself, with electric machine, usually to 7mm long or so (buying a simple hair clipper costs about as much as having the hair cut by a pro 5 times or so). Let it grow to the point where it feels like I should start using a comb, then cut again...I shave rarely, as I'm both too lazy to keep shaved and I like to have a beard. Tend to trim it with scissors now and then, when it feels too long. While keeping the thicker facial hair alone most of the time, I tend to shave the loose hair higher on the cheeks now and then. Straight razor, or a knife. No shaving cream or foam, just regular soap. Shampoo actually works quite well, too. No need to stack tons of cosmetic products, so soap and shampoo is pretty much all we have. If necessary, I can cook some soap the old way (fat and ash).
My wife has long hair (used to have short when we met, then grew it long because I liked it). She made it clear that in a true SHTF situation, she's gonna shave it all :) She also cut my hair with scissors couple times, to get some experience with that and did prety good job (but then again, I don't really care much about my hair, so perhaps I'm not the best one to judge her work)