Author Topic: Food when on a long trek  (Read 2475 times)

Offline DBSoap

• Fledgling Prepper
Food when on a long trek
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
I'm wondering what food people take with them when going on long treks.  I spent 3 months in Belize last year doing some jungle trekking.  I could only last about a week in the jungle before I had to come out again and re-up on food.  This year I am planning on spending at least 30 days in the jungles.  I'm researching what kind of food options are available to me.  I am down to two options (if there are more please tell me) ...
(1) Boil in Bags (BOB's) - I'm sure you all know these ... u simply boil water and pour it in the bag and viola! a delicious meal that can be eaten right out of the bag.  These seem a little pricey for me and it's going to take up a lot of space in my pack in order to bring 30 days worth.
(2) Survival Bars - I've seen a few different types of these (2600 calorie bars, 3500 calorie bars) which also come in different flavors and what not.  I'm figuring these would be easier to carry in my backpack and provide me w/ the nutrition that I will need if I cannot obtain any game out there.

Would any of you have any other advice for possible food?  I want light and healthy and fairly cheap. 
If anyone could give me their opinion I would much appreciate it.

Dan

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Food when on a long trek
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dan -

Resupply is always going to be a issue on long treks or extended stays in one location outside the reach of 'normal means'.

Obviously if you are several days from a village, it's not going to be that easy to 'head to the market' for the metaphorical gallon of milk.  That being said, I am by no means real knowledgeable on the subject, it has been years since I have hiked or camped without supplies.

Not knowing were you will be trekking to makes it somewhat difficult to theorize.  Boil In Bags - Mountain House dehydrated or Freeze Dried foods - are a good option.  However there is the weight to distance model that you are trying to maximize.

From what little I know, and taking what I have *ONLY* seen applied by Les Stroud and others, you may need to look at a combined approach.

A combined approach would be a combination of the BIB quick meals and local resources. This doesn't mean surviving off the land but using local resources (villages etc) to supply yourself.

Might contact the Embassy or local area for possible resources.  Looking now could prevent issues later.

YMMV - Standard disclaimers - I don't believe in the term expert as we can always learn something new, and I learn something new every day....

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
Re: Food when on a long trek
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
DBSoap,

Do you have a link to a source for any of these survival bars?  I've seen high calorie food packets (i.e. Mainstay, etc.), but never any kind of convenient sized "Bar".  If they are indeed bars (could you post a link?), I think that would be the way to go as your "Base" food supply and then look to experiment/augment with what you can catch/trap/collect.