Author Topic: Bug Out Bus???  (Read 158556 times)

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Bug Out Bus???
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 07:04:10 AM »
Here are a few older ones.

Pulling Seats...

Starting on ripping floor & walls.

New Sub Floor & Insullation.  Foam wallboard and strapping.

More walls & sub flooring.

And so on... and so on...

Next Up I'm focusing on completing counter/cabinets/sink/cookstove.  I'll send more pics as I go. 

Offline Mike123

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »
Good job enjoyed the post.

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 10:55:17 PM »
Very cool! +1

I never realized you could pick up a bus like this for so cheap. I'll definitely be following this thread. I might have to invest in a bus of my own in the near future.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
My DH spotted a bus for sale near our house the other day. I knew I shouldn't have shown him this thread!  :D

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »
My DH spotted a bus for sale near our house the other day. I knew I shouldn't have shown him this thread!  :D

Oh no!  :rofl:

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 08:39:14 AM »
There are quite a few things too look for, and think about when buying this type of vehicle for re-purposing into an RV or BOV.  Make sure to investigate the MANY options.  There are lots of websites out there to assist, and of course people to talk too.  I would be more than happy to offer my suggestions and opinions for whatever they might be worth. Here's a few...
- Do your homework.
- Go DEISEL! Better reliability and cheaper to operate with a vehicle this size.
- Tools.  It takes ALL kinds!  If you don't have them, beg borrow or buy.  It all adds to the cost.
- Materials... you may need to alter your design plans based on cheaper, even free materials that are readily available to you.
- Knowledge.  It's not brain surgury, but you (or someone you know) will need basic construction knowledge.  It all depends on your needs.  I build mobile camps, NOT finished, polished looking RV's.  I prefer usability and longevity to style... although I like a rustic look.
- Weight.  When building your vehicle, weight is EVERYTHING!  When adding something, always look at the weight and is there something else that is lighter.  It will save you money at the pump and handling is always a question too!
- Local laws!  Make sure you can do this in your state, some are more difficualt than others. Check CDL DL laws.

I'd be happy to answer more questions as they come up.  Thanks for the interest in the thread.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips SOM ! Appreciate the time you put into taking pictures and updating this thread.  Blessings TBM

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
Here's a few new pics.  Starting to look a little less like a bus!

Next Up.... Completing installation of a new bank of 6 house batteries, 2 inverters and a multibank 3 stage charger.  Solar panels and charge controller will be this spring. 

I'm loving this little stove!  I pick up a pick-up truck bed full of chunks of hardwood from a local cabinet manufacturer for $20.  The wood is in small chunks that are perfect for the stove.  Last night it was down to 4 outside, 72 inside.  Plenty warm for the stain and glue to dry nicely. 

Next decision....  I was planning on an on-demand h2o heater, but I found a slick little wood h2o heater that I'm considering.  I really want to try and lessen my need for propane. Anyone have any experience with these?  NOT the big shelter sized ones that you often see.  I'll try and find the link.
Love to hear any new ideas or opinions. 

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:21 AM »
Wow - very nice!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
I keep finding myself coming back to this thread.  I SOOOOO want to do this some day.   Probably not in the cards this year, but if I play my cards right, might be my spring project  the following year.

Great work, amazing craftsmanship.

Doc

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
Thanks for the compliments... not sure about the craftsmanship thing.... moulding hides a multitude of errors? 
I got the 6 batteries installed (110lbs each) yesterday, the inverters go in tonight.  I'll put a good load on them over the next few days to make sure I have everything ready for the PV panels in the spring.

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
The Bug Out Bus is looking great!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 11:38:59 AM »
I keep finding myself coming back to this thread.  I SOOOOO want to do this some day.   Probably not in the cards this year, but if I play my cards right, might be my spring project  the following year.

Great work, amazing craftsmanship.

Doc
If you need help,.. I'm there... ;D

endurance

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
Really impressive vision to bring it from relic to attractive and functional. 

I "customized" a 21' travel trailer back in the late 80s, but never got down to the sub-floring and such.  You were very wise in starting there; without good insulation and a solid foundation, you can never pump enough heat into something like this in a northern climate.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
...moulding hides a multitude of errors?...
That is why it was invented.  8)

Seriously, the bus is looking fabulous!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Making a little progress.  Other priorites popped up.  But I was able to complete the battery bank, chargers, inverter, fuse panels and such.  Also a countertop has been completed with the galley sink installed.  The snow is finally melting so I'm hoping to get to some of the outside work before too long.  Storage units under the bus, exterior cleaning of oxidized paint and removing the rest of the decals.... yada, yada, yada.  Here are some recent pics.  Thanks for the continued ideas and input, it helps keep me motivated.

Battery Banks are up and running.  1st of 4 solar panels goes in next month.  For now the 8 house batteries and 3 starting batteries are charged from the new charger.

Countertop and sink.  I have some finished moulding to deal with, but it's looking better everyday.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:55:45 AM by statesofmind »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
looking good! keep it going!

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »
Nice work!

I can't wait to see how the Bug Out Bus tuns out!

Offline Mike123

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
looking good!
Mike

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
My wife wont go camping, but if I had that thing I bet she would. Looks nice.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
Keep it up Statesofmind.  I've really enjoyed watching your project develop.  Nice work!

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Thats awesome! Have you looked at http://www.skoolie.net/

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 07:24:15 AM »
I'll be back at it this next weekend.  Right now I'm focusing on getting the garden set for planting this next week or so.  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  I have checked out Skoolie site several times, in fact I have gotten a few ideas from one of the projects listed there.  It's also nice to see that I'm not the only freak willing to take on this type of project. 

I do have to relocated the battery banks.  I want to get them underneath the frame, outside of the living area for safety.  I thought they may work where I put them, but I'm just not comfortable with them inside under the main sleeping area....  big boom, I fall down. 

I'll try and get some updated pics soon.  Thanks again!

P.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
This project is the straight up shiz-nit.  I love watching it come together

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
Here are a few more pics of my battery re-location weekend.  I cut into the floor between the front wheels to build my battery compartment.  There was ample room for a bin of 6 batteries.  I still have to have the support beams spot welded to the frame to cut down on any movement during the ride.  I'll have the charger and inverter hooked up tonight after work.   I'll be putting in a hatch to access these components down the road and putting some sheet metal or plastic sheeting to protect the box from any major torrents of water.  The area is already well protected thanks to some big league mud and water flaps already in place.  I love these vehicles because they are so much better built than standard RV's.  This thing is a tank.  :)

Next I am cutting into the sides of the bus to build massive storage bins all along each side of the bus.  It's amazing how much room there is for storage in a rear engine bus.  It's obviously much quiter on the road, but with no transmission running down the center, it opens up tons of room for my water storage tanks which I am shooting for this coming fall after the 4 solar panels are mounted on the front of the roof section.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
I am so impressed! Thanks for the update on 'The Bus.'

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 07:24:52 PM »
COOL!

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »
your bus is the coolest thing ive seen in a while, now im starting to think of doing something similar ( I have a cdl) maybe a truck and 53 foot dry van conversion would be cool

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
Very cool idea and certainly doable.  Plenty of room and storage... weight not much of an issue either.  Gonna be very hot, although you could put in some windows and ventilation.... could get a little pricey.   Could be tough getting in and out of certain areas.... um, er.... sort of like a bus!  LOL.  Actually the turning radius of this bus is unbelievably tight for a 33 ft. vehicle.   

It would be nice to be able to drop your load at a BOL and (while not the most economical) be able to travel to and from to some extent.  I will be towing a small car hauler / trailer behind this bus with my 2nd vehicle.

How much can you pick up an old dry box trailer for?  Just curious.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
good idea, thats the week point with a 53 footer i dont think you could get away with towing a car behind a atrailer being towed as well, unless you could find a wayto stow a car under the trlr,
(it'd have to be a real short car(height not length)