Author Topic: Bug Out Bus???  (Read 159874 times)

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
Re: Bug Out Bus???
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
Now I have to start focusing on the exterior.  Still not sure what I'm going to do with it.  Any more ideas?
Take care.

Great job with your project. Let me know if your in southern New England I'd love to see it in person.

As for the exterior...how about nothing too fancy and put something like "Marys Mobile Pet Grooming Salon" to keep people from paying too much attention to it?  You could always name it "The Bang Bus" and see who offers to go for a ride.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I have thought about a possible 'decoy" paint job.  But I'm leaning towards something that would conceal it in the woods where it will be spending most of it's time.  I'm not too worried about blending into an urban setting.  I live in a relatively small town now and it's funny how I NEVER get any second looks the way it looks now.  I LOVE that.  And I assume with a nice paint job it might get more attention. So I will have to think about that aspect.

I'm more concerned about security in the woods, especially if I leave it on my property while I'm not there.  I need to look for threads that talk about securing an RV, or property while away.  No power when the vehicle is NOT there, so whatever I hook up will need to run off the bus.  My MURS system already runs off 12v so it shouldn't be an issue.  That may scare someone off just hearing that audible "Intruder in Zone One" voice come over the bus speakers.  But I'm looking for more, some kind of an alarm system for sure.  I'll start a new thread if I don't see an existing one.

Anyways, more thought needs to go onto that for sure.  Thanks for the ideas. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:37:48 AM by statesofmind »

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
I've always wanted a vehicle painted in the classic Tiger Stripe Camouflage pattern just because I think it looks cool.  ;D

If I were being a bit more realistic and I were actually trying to obscure something as big as a bus, I'd probably go with a flat olive drab or simple camo pattern and try to obtain some camo netting to break up the hard edges.

Regarding the steps, that's some seriously nice work!

You've gone beyond spartan and just making something work to an environment that is probably and quite frankly a good space to be in physically and mentally. Nice Job!

Offline ImNotGivngMyName2AMachine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
First: Love this thread, I check it every day. Keep up the excellent work and keep taking those pics! Maybe a youtube vid one day?
Have you considered getting one of those Chinese made grid tie inverters to put your solar panels to use while the bus is just resting at your house?
All that power (400 watts you said?) sitting idle once the batteries are charged kind of sucks. A 600 watt one from eBay is less than $200 shipped and would pay for itself (if it doesn't break first) in less than six years*.
* Fuzzy math and logic ahead --- Assumed: 400 watts of panels, 4 hours of good sun 5 days a week, 45 weeks idle at home a year, 11 cents / kWh after tax, and 12% total system efficiency loss. All semi-arbitrary best guesses - came to 316.8 kWh/yr.

ALL THAT SAID... I'd feel better knowing the panels are doing something neat rather than just sitting there.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
Great point! It has bothered me a bit to not fully utilize the panels.  I do have all my home rechargeable laptop, ipods, flashlights and whatever on the bus charging off the panels. I do also now find myself spending time enjoying the bus while its in the driveway. Watching a ballgame or prepqring a mealand sitting in it, thus not using my primary house power. I must say that I haven't given a ton of thought to it, but you are indeed correct.  Ya gotta love this forum and community overall.  I'll have to give it some due thought and put the item on my list. Thanks!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
The quality of your workmanship is just amazing.   You sir have some major talents!!!   Those stairs are fabulous.  Great work.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
I've been doing a bunch of little stuff, getting ready for next weeks trip.  The first real 8 day excursion into the woods with the B.O.B.

I did take a few pics (sorry the quality is a bit off), of last nights project.  I need a place to carry my 2 fishing kayaks.  This is yet another fabulous thing about this model bus, particularly the rear engine.  It leaves a freaking TON of room underneath.  The underside is broken down into 3 sections, all run the entire length between the front and rear wheels.  The right and left sides, and of course the middle section. 

The middle will be used for water tanks.  I have decided, since I now pull a storage trailer and have a pickup, (Yes I sold my Mazda 3 and bought a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4), that I'm going to use each side for storing a kayak.  I will make storage in the area in front of the front tires.

Anyways, here is the pics of the crude, simple but HIGHLY effective harness I made for about $3 per kayak. 

Here's the kayak sitting on the ground, with a simple loop around the front and back.  Each end comes out of a small hole I drilled for the rope to come out. 

Here you can see the end of the front loop/rope coming out the side.

As you can see, I can simply pull on the loops to raise the kayak.  The ropes use a eye bolt mounted to the frame to support the kayak and make it easy to lift.

Once I pull each rope out, I simply slip an S link and this secures the ropes.

Once the ropes are fastened, you can't even see the boat tucked up under the sides.  Safe, dry and secure.  I put all the paddles and life vests inside each kayak.

I've got plenty of work to do on BOTH the land and bus while I'm up in the woods.  In between the trout fishing of course.  I'll have an update when I get back.  Take Care.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
That is slick!   

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
+1

endurance

« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
That is way too cool. 

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »

+1
Just started laughing uncontrolably!

Awesome idea with the kayaks too!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
looks good!
but....
 you might want to use some type of closed loop device to hold the ends together. maybe a carbiner or something similiar
and having a plastic on a thin rope like that might start to indent the kayak where it rests on the rope.  you might want to put some of those foam noodles on it to stop any damage...

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »
This site will get me in trouble with a bunch of spouses and if mods have any problem with this link please delete.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch&mycat=94H

To bid you have to register, return a mailed form, and agree to the rules, the main one is if you win a bid on something and don't pay for it and pick it up you are banned from ever bidding again.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
That kayak storage trick is sweet!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2012, 04:33:06 AM »
ARCHER... GREAT ideas. I need to get better quality cord anyways, but augmenting with a clip will be a nice safety, and the noodle idea... That's using your noodle!  I was thinking about creating a sort of a cradle with an old piece of carpet, but the foam pool noodle is MUCH simpler.  I also need to find 4 small metal grommet/flanges to smooth out the holes that go through the sides to keep the rope from getting chewed up over time. I have filed them down, but I think I'll need more.
Tonight I will be making some crude awnings for both sides. I can't bring myself to spend the kind of money they get for the nice crank out awnings... I'll go with camp tarps and clips.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2012, 04:35:32 AM »
This site will get me in trouble with a bunch of spouses and if mods have any problem with this link please delete.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.CatSearch&mycat=94H

To bid you have to register, return a mailed form, and agree to the rules, the main one is if you win a bid on something and don't pay for it and pick it up you are banned from ever bidding again.

There ARE some great deals on this site! Have fun.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »
When you install your water tanks a couple of ideas.    Install drain valves, especially on the non potable water, in case you need to clean them out or lighten the load.   Also on the non potable water tank you will need an overflow if you hook it up to a water catchment system.    For your grey water, have a gravel fill drain pit as far as possible from your well and spring, you can run a buried pipe from it to your pad or make it where you can drain as you are leaving your BOL.

I have gotten some good stuff from that site, spending more on gas than what I bought.   Once there were three lots of old computers and office chairs.   I made a minimun bid on all three, hoping to get one, I got all three.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »
You need powered lift that will lower and extend the storage rack for the kayaks at the push of a button. LOL  THAT would be totally awesome.  ;) 

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:49 AM »
Back from a week in the Northwoods! Everything went very well, really no issues to speak of.  The solar set-up worked flawlessly. I had ample power for my needs. 

I didn't take a bunch of pics, but I did use this trip to learn more about what I need... and don't really need.
Here's just a few pics of the bus on site.

A couple things that worked VERY well... my MURS Radio set up is perfect.  The base unit runs off 12v so I was able to hard wire this directly into the on board electrical circuit. I just hung the sensors at key entry points.  It all took about 10 minutes.

Also... great suggestion from Archer on the padding for the rope on the Kayak harness.  I went with foam pipe wrap, mostly because I had it lying around.  But it really kept the kayaks tucked in tight and protected the hulls from indenting from the rope. Thanks!!!!

We did a ton of exploring the awesome surroundings of the BOL.  Lots of lakes, streams and hunting areas... and YES the potatoes are in bloom.  I was able to sneak a few "new" potatoes for one of our cookouts. Tasty stuff!

Next Up... I need to get going on the exterior.  I'm also having a front bumper custom welded to give me more storage. 

endurance

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:07 AM »
That's a whole lotta calories sitting in your backyard. :o

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:20 AM »
I see Jack posted today's show, the interview we had a couple days ago.  Please feel free to fire away any questions you may have, I'll be happy to try and answer them. 

I've got some rear back-up camera installation going on this weekend.  I'll try and post the pics soon.  Take care.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
BTW, my wife is totally allergic to anything that might sorta look like a RV due to nasty childhood experiences.

I showed her the picks of your bus and she said, "Well, I could go for something like that."

You have no idea what high praise that is.  8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:01:34 AM by TexDaddy »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
I see Jack posted today's show, the interview we had a couple days ago.  Please feel free to fire away any questions you may have, I'll be happy to try and answer them. 

I've got some rear back-up camera installation going on this weekend.  I'll try and post the pics soon.  Take care.
You got interviewed? Excellent!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
You got interviewed? Excellent!
Yeah, that's sorta like reaching the mountain top.  8)

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
BTW, my wife is totally allergic to anything that might sorta look like a RV due to nasty childhood experiences.

I showed her the picks of your bus and she said, "Well, I could go for something like that."

You have no idea what high praise that is.  8)

LOL.... Now BOTH Jack and I put in a couple disclaimers that we are not responsible for any domestic problems relating to one of you pulling in the driveway in a big yellow bus!

Seriously though, thanks for the praise.

edited to correct my spelling error.  :-[  TxD
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:04:22 AM by TexDaddy »

Offline kgb

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
I would have a concern with the rope coming off the ends of the kayaks. Maybe make like a stretcher that you could put them on then lift it up. Or even tie the two ropes together with other rope making a hammock that it sat in. Would really suck if one came out. You would be the first to know  :)

I am very impressed with it you do good work.

My vote for color is olive drab in flat and get rid of all the shiny stuff on the outside.

Try finding a RV junk yard or something for an awning. Or maybe a whole RV on craigslist just for the awning.

Offline 1floridacracker

• Prepper
  • it is easier to get forgiveness than permission
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
great job! i want one

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
I would have a concern with the rope coming off the ends of the kayaks. Maybe make like a stretcher that you could put them on then lift it up. Or even tie the two ropes together with other rope making a hammock that it sat in. Would really suck if one came out. You would be the first to know  :)

That was absolutely a concern.  But what the pics don't show is a single line that ties the front and rear loop on each kayak together.  That way the loops can't slide outwards at all.  Great eye and suggestion! TX!

PS.... LOVE the avatar! Jerry lives!  I am considering a large Dead decal for the back of the bus.

Offline Josiah

• Prepper
  • Class Migrator
    • ThriveThrough
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
You have inspired me sir!!!

Here is my bluebird. It needs quite a bit of work! Loved the podcast with Jack.

I did go the classic route: