Author Topic: Bug Out Bus???  (Read 162465 times)

Offline eph2

• Survivor
Re: Bug Out Bus???
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »
Love this thread!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
wow, the Bluebird has a lot of potential.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
but the foam pool noodle is MUCH simpler.
A caution... foam pool noodles break down after about a season/year of use. I can't imagine they will hold up too well exposed to the road/salt/etc. You might try a cheap water hose?

I'm trying hard not to fall victim to this thread. My wife will be pissed if a Bluebird ends up in our driveway.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
Good interview on TSP today, statesofmind!

endurance

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Yeah, that's sorta like reaching the mountain top.  8)
It's like being a comedian and having Johnny Carson wave you over to come sit on the couch after your bit on stage. :D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »
It's like being a comedian and having Johnny Carson wave you over to come sit on the couch after your bit on stage. :D
Yep, I not clever enough to have put it so well.

Keep up the great work statesofmind.

IndependentJo, be sure to keep us up to date on the Bluebird!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
Yep, I not clever enough to have put it so well.

Keep up the great work statesofmind.

IndependentJo, be sure to keep us up to date on the Bluebird!
and let us know your your USA touring trip starts....

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »
Have you considered camouflaging the RV cover rather than the bus itself?

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
I have considered a  camo  cover, and in fact am leaning towards something like that.  I think I'll paint the bus next spring. A very dark green, with the roof remaining silver.

Offline Secret Squirrel

• Prepper
  • Secret Squirrel
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »
Just listened to the podcast and finally registered on here. I've been listening for just over a year now. That bus is awesome. You did some freaking fantastic work. I'd love to do something like that because the wheelchair accessible RV's that are out there suck the bag bad and being a para, something I could gut and make it the way I wanted it would work great. The wife would be a problem though. I just got rid of a 74 Nova SS that needed a good ground up restore but it was just too big of a project for me to do alone. She was so glad to see that leave on a trailer. If I showed up with a bus, she'd meet me at the bottom of the ramp with a shotgun.

I'm a Mainiac too living in Southern Maine close to Kittery. I moved to Mass from Jay, ME for four years and broke my back and decided to come home. I hate that dump down there and have been down this way for about 10 years now. The hunting actually is better down here than it was up in Jay but I'd still rather back in Jay. The wife prevailed on that one. You have to pick your battles. ::)

Great rig though.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
i think i'll have to move out of suburbia before i can tackle a project like this... i don't think my neighbors would like a big bus parked out front.

great interview. also great ideas and i love seeing how you followed through and did certain things. i will be filing this away for future reference and possible implementation on my end.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
Appreciate the kind words.  I live in suburbia environment right now.  I have the bus tucked into a VERY small backyard.  My neighbors have been great, in fact I am a big part of their entertainment.  Many of them have stopped by to check up on the progress from time to time.  Particularly, they enjoy watching me back the large vehicle down my VERY narrow single lane driveway, and bend it in back around my house into a very small "landing" pad.  I have about 8 inches on each side to spare.  Before I brought the bus home I measured my driveway and actually used some plastic cups to mark out the dimensions in a large parking lot to see IF it would actually fit.  It was so close that I had to actually try it... and with a couple practice runs, it did.  Now it's VERY easy.

I did cover the RV at first (as you see in some earlier pics), just out of respect for them, but now there is no issue.  I'm getting suggestions from paint schemes to interior modifications.  They really do enjoy it now.  I think if you are respectful of their needs, it can become a positive.  I had a yard sale last year, and over half the people stopping by were neighbors who just wanted a tour of the bus.  And almost everyone who stopped by were amazed that I could fit the large vehicle in such a small area. That's another BIG bonus to the flat-nose buses, the turning radius is freaking amazingly tight.  Better than any full-size pick-up that I have driven... especially in reverse.  The bus has been a bit of a community building exercise as well.

Parking on the street would probably present a bigger issue, but you may be surprised.  Also, many people have had a nearby friend or local business OK a spot for the construction.  Get creative and you might be surprised how easy it might be to find a location to park the bus if you don't have room on your property.

For the initial demolition, I did perform the work at another more rural location out of noise concern for my neighbors.  But once all that loud cutting and banging was completed, I moved it home.  There was some initial comments, but that went away VERY quickly once I was able to get them to understand my end game.  Now they just love the updates.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
I ride the bus to work and am always amazed at how nimble those big things are. Transfer stop at a local walmart and the driver can cut though a full parking lot to turn around, weaving in and out of parked cars that I think for sure he's going to run over.  Our city is in the middle of upgrading those busses, I wonder what kind of deal I could work out for the old ones  :D

Offline mckanik

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
Nothing's sturdier than the Bluebird school bus! Those who dont have the time or inclination to take on such a project should consider an older ('70s & 80s) Bluebird Wanderlodge. Built in Ga. on a school bus platform it's pretty much a ready to go BOB.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
My bus is registered as a "Wanderlodge" because that's the only compatible model the lady could find.  Obviously I have a bias towards Bluebirds, and the reason is as stated.  They are built head and shoulders above any other RV or school bus in terms of overall quality standard. There are some very high end bus chassis companies, but they are also high end in terms of price too.

The key for me is also the rear engine.  I can't think of a reason to NOT get a RE model, whether it's Bluebird, Genesis or whatever model and/or make you choose.

I have seen some "Wanderlodge" recently on eBay I think, the prices were VERY attractive if I didn't enjoy the whole "process" that I have put into this project.  Plus mine has several features that would need to be added on a Wanderlodge, and again... they don't really fit my needs. 

Offline Johnny Swampwalker

• Prepper
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Love the build, Statesofmind. Creative, application-specific, and probably the classiest bush vehicle I've seen. Hats off!

I have a couple of questions:

1) Your Bluebird looks like it has a lot of ground clearance, especially for a pusher. What is your ground clearance?

2) Have you thought of a locker for firearms storage?

Thanks,

Johnny

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
I have about a foot clearance at the rear differential and front axle.  I did remove the front retracting step because it was scrapping occasionally. It was around 7 inches when closed.

As far as weapons storage, I already have 2 hidden, easy access areas for stowing both hunting and defense weapons.  There are a few features on the BOB that will remain unseen if you get my drift.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy in the garden and getting ready for another long cold Maine winter. I swear it feels like we spend half the year dealing with winter and the other half preparing for it. I'm planning on getting back at it soon. Updates Tao follow.

Paul

Offline WVMan73

• Senior Survivalist
  • Montani Semper Liberi
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »
There are a few features on the BOB that will remain unseen if you get my drift.

Paul

Aww man... ya mean we don't get to see the ejector seat or the missiles hidden behind the retractable headlights??? You're no fun...  ;) 8)

Looking forward to those updates! This has been one very cool project!

Mac

Offline DJ-JPL

• Prepper
  • i dont have to be fast, just faster than you
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »
I figure its going to be something like this.

Offline MichiganNimrod

• Prepper
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »
Paul:

Great interview.  Lots of great info here as well.  Very motivating and eye opening.

Just to toss out a few questions I had after checking out the thread.

Do you have any plans to put in comms in the bus (ham or other aside from the MURS)?  Any concerns with antennas (thinking along Ham lines)?

What kind of MPG does that beast get?  (hate to ask but with $4/gal its on my mind)

Thanks for sharing your project.

Best of luck in the woods!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
I have CB, GMRS, MURS.  Also have SW radio reception.  I have no plans for HAM at this point.  Mileage is at 11.9 on the highway without a trailer.  I am taking the bus out this weekend towing my Tacoma for a test.  I'm guessing around 8 when she's fully loaded at 25000 lbs and towing a 5000lb vehicle.   We'll see.  Again, this is not a touring RV.  Its going between my home and hunting BOL about 130 miles away.

Offline Josiah

• Prepper
  • Class Migrator
    • ThriveThrough
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
No updates on my bluebird yet :( It still sits and waits. Just purchased a 92' Bronco so I haven't had the money to put into the bluebird just yet. As soon as I have some updates I will post them... this is a huge project as you can see in the pictures.
The first steps will be to remove the top and clear out the inside. It is currently loaded with old tools. The restoration can begin.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
Hopefully the frame and floor is solid.  That's the biggest key... even more than the power train.    Good luck, can't wait to see your thread!

Offline ImNotGivngMyName2AMachine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
I've been patiently waiting for more pictures of your awesome project. Any more excursions you've done lately?
Keep up the great work! I hope you enjoy what you've created and get to use it for decades.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
It's been a crazy fall.  I have neglected getting any fresh pics and content up because I really haven't gotten anything else completed.  I have taking the bus "up ta camp" a few times, and plan to at least one more time here. 

I am preparing to order the water tanks next month and that is the winter project.  Install water tanks, pumps, heaters, etc.

I'll try and get some new content in the next couple weeks.  Thanks for checking.

P.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
This is an awesome thread.

The only thing cooler than a bus you turned into your own custom camper, would be one of those 6 wheel drive military trucks turned into a custom camper. I did see an old boxy ambulance turned into a camper on Craigslist once though that had this kind of potential for only $2,000 (already converted into a simple camper, but could be further customized on the cheap).

I would MUCH rather have something like this I built myself on the cheap than some movie star bus with all the sliding boxes etc.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
For your limited space shower, I suggest one of those plastic over the door shoe hangers to hold shampoo bottles and such. I purchased one from Lowes four years ago for $9 and my wife and I still use it daily, sadly not at the same time. Just poke a few holes at the bottom of each to let the captured water drain out. We have no built in compartments to our very small shower and this fixed it perfectly. It looks like this:

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
It has been far, far too long without an update. Reply with lots of pics so we can all live vicariously through you. The Internet* has spoken!

*Disclaimer: I'd like to think I speak for the rest of the Internet but in reality I'm just an echo of the past

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2013, 06:13:06 AM »
LOL.... I will respond shortly.  I'm sorry.  It's been an event filled Maine winter and not a ton of time for the bus.  BUT, spring is coming and I will get back at it soon.  I've been busy building rabbit cages and a solar dehydrator... oh and an outhouse for the land.  That's the first order of priority, get the outhouse dug and installed once it thaws... hopefully by JULY!!!!! 
Updates coming soon.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
oh and an outhouse for the land.  That's the first order of priority, get the outhouse dug and installed once it thaws... hopefully by JULY!!!!! 
Updates coming soon.

One or two seater?   When I started school we lived in what was referred to as 'four rooms and a path'.    This is for the guys, regularly take a rolled up newspaper torch and move the lit end around the underside of the opening for spiders and other creature that bite and sting.