Author Topic: Bug Out Bus???  (Read 157392 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Bug Out Bus???
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
LOL.... I will respond shortly.  I'm sorry.  It's been an event filled Maine winter and not a ton of time for the bus.  BUT, spring is coming and I will get back at it soon.  I've been busy building rabbit cages and a solar dehydrator... oh and an outhouse for the land.  That's the first order of priority, get the outhouse dug and installed once it thaws... hopefully by JULY!!!!! 
Updates coming soon.

Of course there will be another thread showing off these project right?!  (That's a TSP order by the way.   ;) ;D)

Can't wait for the updates.

Doc

Offline ImNotGivngMyName2AMachine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
I guess the OP got hit by a bus, so no new updates.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
OK.... sorry about the long delay.  I haven't been doing much but I do have a few small things.  I'm getting ready to head out tomorrow for a weekend at the property.  I need to get a few things done.  I've decided to take the bus on it's opening season run.  While packing a few things I decided to take a few pics.  I don't think I've shown these small things yet.

I had a HD hitch welded to the frame.  I can now pull a trailer or even better my little red Toyota.  I have a tow rig set up on the truck and it works so nicely.  Anyways here's a few pics of the hitch set up.

You may have noticed a small camera over the hitch... a rear view camera is now operational.  It's a decent setup.  It's an IR cam, so it gives a decent night view as well.  The camera is simply mounted with a strong magnet so it can be moved anywhere within a 12' area for a great security shot at night.  The monitor is something I got free, a killer little JVC broadcast monitor, actually got 2 of them... 2 is 1, 1 is none ya know. You can see the monitor view pretty well.  It's also nice to keep an eye on the trailer load or truck towing behind while mobile on the road. 

The bus now has 3 panels onboard, keeps me well charged.  Last fall I spent a week in the woods and never dropped below 85% while not really being to frugle.  The fridge, fans, stereo and TV/DVD were all used often.

The bus now has a microwave setup.  It's fine for quick things... I rarely think I will ever have much of a need, but it was cheap.

Here's a look at the trailer and truck.  I am bringing these 2 tanks up to the property for a water tower setup I'm building.  These are about 300 gal each.  They will be used for washing, irrigation and such.  I am hopefully meeting a drilling rig there tomorrow for the well.  Keep your fingers crossed I have shallow water.  I'll shoot some pics and vid of that project as well.

Sorry for such a span with no updates, but the bus is getting pretty well to the point I was hoping.  A few other projects for sure... exterior painting is becoming the priority.  But the property needs attention and planning to.  Maybe I'll have to start a new thread there.

I'll try and get back next week with an update on this weekends progress.

Later...

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
Oh yea... 1 more little storage area. The 4 crates snap into place, then a tie back secures them on the road.  All lightweight stuff like bedding, towels etc.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
nice update. this is on my bucket list.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
Thanks for the updates. I pretty much stare down every school bus I see just trying to see what size style etc that I want.

My "perfect bus" right now is a rear engine diesel in the shorter size. The built in luggage compartments seems like a great idea for storage that doesn't have to be built. Want to have beds for 4-6, solar electric and solar hot water, shower, toilet, kitchen and wood burning heater. Pretty standard setup I think

endurance

« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the update.  As always, you've thought of everything so we don't have to. ;)

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
What voltage and wattage are your panels? Are they all going to the same charge controller?

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Sorry for such a span with no updates, but the bus is getting pretty well to the point I was hoping.

NO no --- that's quite alright, I'd thoroughly enjoy posts well into the future of you using the bus, what tricks you learn to do over time, things you'd probably consider mundane. Just use the space here as a diary like the time you found the bottle o' Jack.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
What voltage and wattage are your panels? Are they all going to the same charge controller?
The panels are all 12v. 1 @ 85 + 2 @ 150w keep the main rack of batteries charged.  I also have a couple 25w panels. 1 for the engine batteries, the other for the soon to be installed exhaust vent inthe outhouse.

I will use this as a diary, good suggestion.  I have now PERMENANTLY parked the bus up at my property.  I am focusing on developing it now.  I am going up in the coming days to install the piping to convert my 2" outputs from my water tower tanks to 1/2 inch water piping for standard garden hose distribution.  I will get a few pics of the bus as it currently sits... then add more in the future of any additional work.  There will be some more of that too. Mostly plumbing and generator related.

I will start a new thread shortly called" The Bus has Landed". I will put it in the Homesteading section.  There I will chronicle the land from the beginnnig to where it is now.  It is really a ton of fun and it's coming along nicely. During these Maine summer months... I will be up there virtually every weekend and several weeks of vacation time put in on site.  I hope to hear from you all on that thread as well.  The ideas and support you all have given me with the bus project has meant soooo much.  Thanks a million.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
looking forward to the new thread!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:19 AM »
I was just working inside the bus on a rainy day on the property and thought I'd get a few pics of "Life in the Bus" to give y'all an idea of how it looks. 

As you enter, it still has a good open feel for an RV, despite a ton of gear on board.

The mornings can still be quite cool, even in July and August in Northern Maine.  Cold enough for a fire to take the chill and dampness out of the air. 

Storage areas...

Counter Space is a premium...

Radios, Battery station.  Most everything runs off AA or AAA batteries.  I did pick up the C & D adapters, Chargers and the brand of batteries and charger from Steve Harris.  So far they are working perfect.

Kickin it until the rain clears so I can get back to the projects.

Offline jonathco

• Prepper
  • Beans, Bullets, and Bandaids
    • Hartland Homestead
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
Wow, looks great! I need to start something like this soon.

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
Wow, looks great! I need to start something like this soon.

No time like NOW!  At least start looking at possible vehicle candidate.  You don't have to spend a penny until you are ready, but start the process now.  Have Fun! 

Offline strensk

• Prepper
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
Love this. Pretty awesome stuff!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Hey All.  A long cold winter with not much going on with the bus.  I HAVE been updating the progress on the land and some additional bus updates in the "Homesteading" section under the "Bus has Landed" thread.  So check it out if you're interested.  here's a few pics of some of the more recent bus work.  Most are duplicates from the other thread. I have more planned this spring.  Actually going to begin off-grid cabin build, but I will live in the bus while that is happening.

Here's a few pics from a month ago.  I will take a few more this Saturday. I can't drive in during the winter due to the snowfall.  I have to snowshoe or CC ski in with a pack sled.  It's only 1/2 mile off plowed road so not bad at all.

Snowfall on the ground in Maine.  I have nearly 40" where the camp is.

I had a 10" snowfall and 2" of ice on top of it, so that was a fun day of clearing the panels.  They were covered for nearly a month and my battery power levels remained very strong despite a slow draw from security lighting, cameras and alarm.  I will be going up again this Saturday to clear panels and check on the property.  i want to also try and see if I can locate a natural spring or two as well.

And a quick pic of me while I could still get the 4 wheeler in. I can't wait for spring to arrive.... hopefully by JULY!!!!  Again.... if you're interested in more info on the bus and it's permanent home, check out my other thread in the "Homesteading" section under the "Bus has Landed" thread. Take care and stay safe!

Offline PoppinZombies

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Great stuff ! Time to find your " Bus has landed " thread now !

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »
...This is for the guys, regularly take a rolled up newspaper torch and move the lit end around the underside of the opening for spiders and other creature that bite and sting.

No methane explosion concerns?  I've never even been near an outhouse so please pardon my speculation if unfounded...

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
Not an issue.  Vented.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
A friend sent me a link to a similar school bus project. A bit more artsy (form over function).
http://www.hankboughtabus.com

FarmerJim

« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:02 AM »
This is something I would like even as a recreational "camping" vehicle or guest cabin!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
Sorry, I haven't paid much attention to this thread since starting the follow-up thread under "Homesteads and Self Reliant living", labeled "The Bus Has Landed". 

A friend sent me a link to a similar school bus project. A bit more artsy (form over function).
http://www.hankboughtabus.com
Thanks for the link to Hanks bus, I had seen this before.  You're right, a bit to "artsy" for my needs, but a great job none the less.

This is something I would like even as a recreational "camping" vehicle or guest cabin!
Now that my cabin is under construction, the bus will live on as my guest house.  I already have several friends who can't wait to try it out!

Offline AuntFaye

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2014, 06:41:25 AM »
Heat is from a propane furnace and a slick little woodstove.  I have a buddy who makes these stoves for marine use and/or ice fishing.  They work perfect. .

We lived in our motor home over a winter in the Salt Lake/Utah valley.  We only used the propane heater.  The cost was about $300 a month.  So, we have bought a wood stove.  Do you have pictures of yours?  We are not sure exactly how to install it.

Aunt Faye

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »
We lived in our motor home over a winter in the Salt Lake/Utah valley.  We only used the propane heater.  The cost was about $300 a month.  So, we have bought a wood stove.  Do you have pictures of yours?  We are not sure exactly how to install it.

Aunt Faye

If you look further up through the thread, there are some pics of it.  Here is the one I use now... both in it's useful position and it's travel location. SECURE the stove when on the road, it's a dangerous and HEAVY item to be flying around the camper in the event of a sudden stop or worse.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
Wow that looks fun. Great job!

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
Sooooo.... Anybody interested in buying a bus?  I am probably going to be selling this rig.  Interested and close to Maine?  let me know.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
Dude, you need to be marketing to the other side of the country and pitch it as: 'the road trip of a lifetime' or something like that. If i had the money and a place to park it i'd consider driving it back to AZ.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Sooooo.... Anybody interested in buying a bus?  I am probably going to be selling this rig.  Interested and close to Maine?  let me know.
When you are ready, post on the "Swap Meet" board.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

Offline statesofmind

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:24 AM »
When you are ready, post on the "Swap Meet" board.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

Thanks Tex!  I will do that.  Should be a month or so.

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
 :'( I'm all the way in CA, but I'd love to own it.