Author Topic: My Mora Mods  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
My Mora Mods
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
I am sure this has been done countless times on countless forums, but here is one for TSP!  I decided to modify my Mora classic #2.  Here is what I did to the red handle:

I spent the morning hand sanding the red paint off.  I wish I had a belt sander!  I got 95% of the paint off and then out came MR. BLOWTORCH.  After some scorching of the entire handle, I resumed the hand sanding.  When I sanded most of the burn marks off, I stained the wood with some Walnut ink.  A co-worker of mine made this stuff and I have used it to stain my tomahawk handle.  As you can see the color looks rustic.  The darker spots are some of the scorch marks from the torch that I did not fully remove.  The entire process took about an hour and a half for me.  It looks so much better and the grip has improved.

Now on to the sheath! 

The ideas that spawned this sheath are not my own.  I pulled ideas from other web searches for "Mora Mods".  You can see the sheath is covered in bike inner tube.  The tube functions as a firestarter and has lots of other uses.  Pulling back the tube a boy scout hotspark is revealed.  There is no striker for it because the knife spine doubles as the striker.  There is a large safety pin along the side.  LOTS of uses with one being a fish hook with the P-cord innards as line.  Moving down you will see a yellow whistle and cheapo squeeze light.  What you cannot see are a few items on the back.  I have a small card with 3 sewing needles and two colors of thread wrapped around the card.  Also tucked in the back is a micro zip lock containing vaseline coated cotton balls.

This knife/survival kit is a backup to items that always go with me into the wilds.  If I lose my pack, get dumped out of my canoe, or get lost on a bathroom break I have some things to better my situation.  The only thing I feel I really need to add is a button compass.  Hope you all enjoyed this!  Feel free to post mods to your Moras!

NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Online Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: My Mora Mods
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
Cool :)

I rought up the spine for the ferro, it's quite round from the factory. And put a lanyard whole in the handle.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Yeah, I had to rough up the spine on mine too.  I used an old file.  Never thought about the lanyard loop.  Good idea.
NATE

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
Stripping is easier than sanding. Try some 000 steel wool and denatured alcohol. Will remove most finishes. If that doesn't get it done, you can go to citristrip, if that won't do it - aircraft stripper will.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
Stripping is easier than sanding. Try some 000 steel wool and denatured alcohol. Will remove most finishes. If that doesn't get it done, you can go to citristrip, if that won't do it - aircraft stripper will.

Thanks for the tip.  I have plenty of steel wool laying around and also a gallon of the alcohol.  I use a trangia stove for backpacking.
NATE

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
That looks alot better. Ordered one of these a few days ago so when it arrives I shall do the same with the wooden handle.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
Rod,

The walnut ink really gives it a nice color.  My co-worker soaked walnut husks in water all winter and come spring she had this wonderful ink.  I suppose you could use any wood stain to get the desired look you want.

Since this original post I removed the cotton balls.  They added a little too much bulk on the back side of the sheath and it didnt lay right around my neck.

I need to add some sort of on board low bulk emergency tinder.  On memorial day weekend I tried to get a fire going with my army size firesteel.  Everything was damp from recent rains.  I tried dry grass and dead ferns.  Obviously these werent dry enough and I resorted to some magnesium shavings.  That did the trick!!
NATE

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Nice job!  You should sell them.
"Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range."

Offline GODSPEED

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
I've seen all kinds of mods but not that.... really changes the look of the handle and looks more like a knife now.  Nice.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
Thanks for the compliment.  Recently I decided I should seal the handle.  I gave it 2 coats polyurethane.  Looks slightly shiny and should be sealed now.  The handle is also a little tacky now and helps with grip.
NATE

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
My co-worker soaked walnut husks in water all winter and come spring she had this wonderful ink.  I suppose you could use any wood stain to get the desired look you want.

Hmm...My in-laws have a walnut tree in their front yard. There is no end to walnuts in the fall. I may have to try this next year.