Author Topic: A Good Coyote Hunting DVD?  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
A Good Coyote Hunting DVD?
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »
Any thoughts out there on a good DVD to get to learn how to hunt coyotes, especially how to use calls?  There are several and I don't want to get a lame one.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
Re: A Good Coyote Hunting DVD?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
Any Randy Anderson videos. A guy that can call them in anywhere and in any weather. I got Calling All Coyotes and it is great. Goes though and teaches you how to call. Very good and fun just to watch.

Offline TacticalSquirrel

• Prepper
    • 10-32 Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
10-4 on Randy Anderson. His original ones (Before his Primos partnership) shows lots of different brand calls and how he uses them. Once he started with Primos the calls are mostly his designs, but still is applicable to many others. He has a Mastering the Art of Calling or some such DVD that is excellent with information, as Randy and the guys from Primos show examples of various calling techniques while hunting, and show you how to do it while on the porch of the cabin. Very entertaining videos, as he has a unique style where you can tell he's having fun.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I cashed in an Amazon gift certificate on a couple Randy Anderson DVDs.  I'll let you know how they are.

It's kind of hard to admit I don't know something that I think I should know (hunting) but, hey, learning is the heart of prepping.  I'm not just going to buy some rice and beans and call it a day.  I hope others reading this come to the same conclusion.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I cashed in an Amazon gift certificate on a couple Randy Anderson DVDs.  I'll let you know how they are.

It's kind of hard to admit I don't know something that I think I should know (hunting) but, hey, learning is the heart of prepping.  I'm not just going to buy some rice and beans and call it a day.  I hope others reading this come to the same conclusion.

I have come to the same conclusion too about food and heart and I'm having fun. Thank goodness I love rice and beans but there are also other wonderful things to eat and I'm going to eat them!

Good luck on the coyote hunting! I remember you speaking of hunting coyotes in another thread but I don't recall every detail, are you just helping thin the herd (aside from acquiring hunting skills) or are you planning to keep/tan hides etc.? I was curious if their hides were worth saving, I've seen a number of them for sale of late and was wondering about them.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »

... are you just helping thin the herd (aside from acquiring hunting skills) or are you planning to keep/tan hides etc.? I was curious if their hides were worth saving, I've seen a number of them for sale of late and was wondering about them.

I'm helping to thin the herd and acquire hunting skills. 

I thought I'd learn hunting on varmints.  I don't need to carry them out and don't need to butcher them.  Plus there are almost no legal restrictions in my state on hunting coyotes (night hunting OK, no magazine limit, no limits, etc.). 

The ranch family I know is being terrorized by these coyotes.  Losing several calves.  The coyotes chase the rancher's dogs into the house and the rancher recently had to open a door in the house and shoot the coyotes from inside the house.  Shell casings in your house means something very bad is going on.  The rancher's wife went to pick up their 3 year old in town.  She grabbed a car seat and a rifle for the trip.  So I feel like I'm helping a family.

Since I'm learning, I expect to miss a few shots and only wound instead of kill instantly.  I don't want this to happen, but it probably will.  I don't feel as bad about wounding instead of killing when the target is a serious threat to human beings.  I would never approach a peaceful deer with this acceptability of wounding.  But my marksmanship is pretty good and I'll only start off with close targets to minimize any wounding.

Offline TacticalSquirrel

• Prepper
    • 10-32 Solutions
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
If you find you enjoy it, but are having problems calling, cinsider investing in an electronic call. At first, I felt it wasn't right and not on equal terms with the coyote, but the more they beat me, the more I'm wanting one. If anything it helps me see (hear) what I am doing wrong with my calls. It might be expensive, but I want to budget for a Foxpro 3. From what I have seen, they are some of the best in terms of quality, portability, versatility, etc...

I'm not sure what the fur market is down by you, but the price of the hides would pay for it in a couple seasons or so depending on how manyu you shoot.

Happy Hunting!

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:47:27 AM »
I attended a Randy Anderson seminar a few years back. Great guy, and a hell of a caller.
If you want to try a cheaper electronic call, Walmart had one that was about 30 -35 dollars. I have the same thing from Cabelas, and its not too bad. It could be louder, but too quiet is always better than too loud.

Good luck on your yote shootin!
RipT

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
If you get good at hunting yotes you are set and can hunt and kill about anything. While hunting yotes, a very destructive animal, you will respect them so very much and they will amaze you always.
I found a great stand and about 300 yards out I had a nice little herd of sheep to look at. I started to call and about 10 minutes into it the sheep started to get a bit edgy. I keep my thing going and about 40 minutes into it I thought that I was the reason the sheep were jittery. I gave up then and stood up turned around to see two of the stinkers just watching me about 5 feet away. By the time my brain said shoot and I had my gun they was long gone.
I have many stories such as this one and yote hunt for a bit and you will have just as many. A great time and great fun you vs. one of the best hunters out there.

220 Swift

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
jetta2337 is absolutely right. If you can get skilled at hunting coyotes you can hunt anything. They have it all going for them. The intelligence, sense of smell, eyesight, and hearing are all
finely honed. I have several tapes. *Operation Predator* is a tape put out by Johnny Stewart and Carlton's calls and is probably my favorite. Next I like Lohman's "Predator Challenge" and
"Predator Challenge II" . "Calling All Coyotes" by Knight & Hale is OK, as is "Predator Calling with the Experts". "Howling for Coyotes" by Ed Sceery is quite instructional in learning calling
techniques although I prefer to use an electronic call that I use with my Ipod to give a great variety of sounds. The worst thing you can do in an area that is hunted regularly is to break
out the old wounded rabbit call like everybody else and start blowing. The "educated" coyotes will hear that and turn tail in a hurry. Find out what guys in your area like and then use
something different! Best of luck!

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
anyone get bounties on coyotes?

Theres a 50$ bounty here, and if I carry the ear to the next county over I can get 75$, I hear them all the time out on the back 40, but Im not a thrill killer or a bounty hunter. If they cause a problem of course Ill do what it takes. 

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »
There is a $25 in the county next to me. I have a uncle that has land over there for when you turn them in you must tell them whose land you got them off of.
Big thing now is wolves. They are popping up all over where our government says they aint.  ::)

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Wolves in my area are "endangered species" and you get some hard federal time for shooting one.

Beware.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
Oh ya they are endangered here also. Never shot one just that they are all over. Many stories of the destruction they are causing and not getting blamed for. Big saying here in Wyoming. Save 100 elk kill one wolf.

SSS  :-X