Author Topic: Reloadable Blackpowder Shotgun Shells  (Read 8706 times)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Reloadable Blackpowder Shotgun Shells
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
First, I'm not a black powder shooter currently...but in pondering my options for after SHTF type scenarios & the possibility of future ammo shortages I've often thought that it would be nice to stockpile a bare bones option for feeding & defending one's self.  I'm not familiar with the various black powder or smokeless powder options out there for the DIYer either, so pardon me if some of my questions are pretty basic for you black powder experts. ;)

I consider the shotgun to be the all around working man's gun.  You can defend yourself & feed yourself with some very simple & basic changes to your loads.  To that end, I've often thought or wondered what could be accomplished with solid brass shotgun shells.  Which leads me here to ask you blackpowder/primitive gun shooters some questions.

Can brass shotgun shells be used with modern smokeless powder generally?  I know there are various types, but generally is it possible, or do I have it wrong & there are no general variables that can be counted on when trying to do something as seemingly simple as loading a brass shotgun shell?  What types of powder should I be looking at if I want to start experimenting with brass shotgun shells?

These are what I have in mind.

What types of modern & available shot can be used in these shells?  Anyone have info/sites they can share with me on this topic?

What types of guns can they be used with?  Is it possible to use these shells in modern type pump or break action (over/under or side by side) guns?  These are basically the three types of guns I like for simplicity sake & ease of repair, which in IMO will be important given a reduced capacity to find or manufacture repair parts.

I know there are other options for firearms but I'm not interested in discussing those here.  My specific interest is in building a kit around the brass shotgun shell.  Any info you guys have would be a great help to me, so thanks.

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
Re: Reloadable Blackpowder Shotgun Shells
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
Never used the solid brass shells, but I found a video that goes along with adding SHTF versatility to a shotgun.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QAx6ERkW0A&feature=channel

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:55 AM »
Never used the solid brass shells, but I found a video that goes along with adding SHTF versatility to a shotgun.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QAx6ERkW0A&feature=channel

Great video quietmike, I hope to experiment with this.

Thank you

TW

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:28:32 AM »
Cool video quietmike, thanks.

Definitely answers some questions I had.  It looks like some of that would translate to the full size brass shells. 

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
The video made me wonder if you can field reload a 20 ga. shell (or any shotgun shell) with black powder using a similiar method as muzzleloading.  I ask about 20 as that is what I have. 

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:46:20 AM »
The video made me wonder if you can field reload a 20 ga. shell (or any shotgun shell) with black powder using a similiar method as muzzleloading.  I ask about 20 as that is what I have. 

In theory I'd say yes, the only problem would be blackpowder is weaker than smokeless for a given volume, so actually getting it all into the shell might be a problem ( I haven't tried it just thinking out loud here).

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »
The only shotgun shells that I reload, are blackpowder driven.
I mostly once fired Winchester AA Hulls, but anything will work, as long as you can get powder, wads, shot, and a good crimp. In other words, the recipe will change depending on the hull used.
For my AA hulls, I use 60 gr of 1F blackpowder, cuz its cheap, and makes nice fireballs. For more effieciency and power, use 2F.
I use a red AA wad, and 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 shot. Then give it a good star crimp.
These loads are nice to shoot and reliable. I have taken dove with them, and they are almost all I use in my cowboy shooting.

I do play with the brass shells on occasion. If you want to spend the bucks, the Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company hulls are indestructible, and should last me a lifetime. They are not drawn brass, but are milled casings. They are super thick, and use standard 12 ga wads with ease. With the above load listed, I still have about an inch or so of shell left over, as they are a 3" hull. Mine use a 209 shotgun primer, but I think they have the option of others.

If you buy the Magtech brass hulls, which are significantly cheaper, they need to use 11 ga wads for the 12 ga hull. They are thin, and if they get stepped on, are toast, unless you get a resizer from RCBS. I have these hulls, as well as some original Winchester, Remington, etc, and there is not much differnce in the them. The ones I haveuse a small pistol primer (IIRC), not the 209 shotgun primer.
Ballistic Products has about everything you need to get started reloading the brass shells.
Hope I helped.
DM

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
Rip, do you know if the brass shells will cycle thru a modern pump gun like a 3" chambered 870?

Specifically the Rocky Mountain Cartridge shells you mentioned.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Sorry DEV. I rarely get any notices when new posts happen.

My RMC hulls are 3". They are heavy, and I am betting would end up tearing up an extractor.  Now the MagTechs, are nice and light, and also shorter. They work great in my Winchester 97, as well as my side by side.

RipT