Author Topic: BETTER USE FOR A HOT TUB?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
BETTER USE FOR A HOT TUB?
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
Like I need another project! I was standing in my yard today looking around and enjoying the sounds of the farm. My eyes fell on the hot tub that currently houses about a ton of rabbit manure that is ready for the garden. I filled it with manure for a couple of reasons. I wanted to try to grow worms in it. It was leaking and the company who installed it employs asses who are not willing to come to fix a small job. And I really really don't like hot tubs. I like to see my feet in water.

What to do with the hot tub after I dig out all the compost? Well I started thinking about aquaponics. Now I don't plan on getting started with this until the spring of 2012. But I would like your opinion.

Here is a photo of what the hot tub looked like when I bought the house. (no comments on the pink!)

And this side of it last summer when I put in the kitchen garden.

The motor works well. An electrician would have to hook it back up to my breaker box. The plumbing leaks so that would have to be looked at and re-designed.

But don't you think that this might work to house fish in the hot tub and use the pump...or possibly a solar conversion of this pump...to pump the water out to raised grow beds and then back to the tub?

Just a mind with not enough to do....

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: BETTER USE FOR A HOT TUB?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
Off the top of my head I'd say that the hot tub, even if you can't get the pump working with the system is a great container. You've got a vessel that was made to be filled with water and animals with pre-drilled holes

Regarding the hot tub's pump, I wish I had the answer directly, but I've just started studying Aquaponics and I don't know what it takes to move a volume of water over a certain distance. It seems like the pump output would be more than sufficient seeing how much pressure the jets are meant to supply for regular use. I would worry about the pump's life span because I don't know that hot tubs were designed to run several times a day every day, then again it might be less work for the pump if you do a flood and drain instead of a constant run. (Sorry i don't know the correct terms here).

If you're going to try your hand at Aquaponics, you might as well learn how to plump though.

It certainly is the nicest looking housing for an Aquaponics Tank I've ever seen, and much too nice for a composting bin.  ;D

This might be a good question for the folks at The Backyard Aquaponics Forum.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Cool forum thanks Nic

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »
I would think that the hot tub would work quite well for a tank. The one issue I see is that the water level in it is pretty high, so if you use the pump in the hot tub, your grow beds will need to be higher yet than the tank. You could probably find some hose that fits into the jets  on the tub and move water around that way to the grow beds. I'd probably also disconnect the heater or add your own thermostat so somebody fiddling with it can't turn the heat on and cook the fish for you.

Do a bit of research on a CHOPS system if you want lower grow beds, which will use a different water pump - a pond pump and another tank, like a bulk tank or barrel.
Live for today, but prepare for tomorrow...

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Sweethearts Mom - what ever happened with this project?  Any updates?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »
This will have to be put on the back burner until probably next year at the earliest. I had to do something different with the rabbits and I have to save for vacation and cleaning out the pond this year.

Offline thefamfarm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
I was just thinking 'what are some practical uses for a hot tub' yesterday while I was roaming my neighbors 'junk heap' and found that they had an old hottub liner...oh how I wanted to drag it to our house and get started on a project with it...but I actually couldn't think up anything to do with it exactly...I doubt it would hold water, but it would make a super awesome 'raised garden' if I could ever find a way to brace it.....maybe I should ask them what they would want for it

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
We sealed all the connections and sunk one into the ground at my mother's house as a fish pond. Put some inverted, broken clay flower pots in the bottom for shade and protection and it worked great.

A big puddle full o' fish help keep the mosquitoes at bay, too!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

nomh

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:53:27 AM »
a hot tub pump couldn't handle 24 hour use in a body of water that wasn't chlorine laden and algae free. Pond pumps are work horses. A pond has debris that a hot tub pump can't handle. Plus you'd need biological filtration to keep fish in a body of water that small. (Where in nature would you find a body of water the size of a hot tub with a lot of fish in it?) you wouldn't. Do your research in Pond filtration. Hot Tubs rely on Chlorine and other chemicals to keep debris to a minimum. So there is very little to filter... (Hence the covers). A pond is an ecosystem when it's left outside. Look at what a swimming pool becomes when it's not treated with chlorine. Do you think a swimming pool filter could clean out a dirty pool? It can't. It takes a lot of knowledge to keep fish alive in a small outdoor pond. More than you would imagine.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
We just used the hot tub. No pumps or motors. No heat. No aerators. Tossed some food in it once in a while. The fish thrived.

In fact, the four fish I put in it were donated from a neighbor who swore they were either all male or all female because he had them for years and they never multiplied.

After a few weeks in the got tub, we had scores of little fish.

That process lasted for several years until the hot tub was removed to make room for another of my mother's garden projects.

It takes a lot of knowledge to keep fish alive in a small outdoor pond. More than you would imagine.

I also used to keep my own fish in two 55-gallon tanks and a 10-gallon tank for quarantine situations or small fry.

I've used about every type of filtration media available on the consumer market from diatomaceous earth to foam filtration to those plastic cubes. I know a little bit about keeping fish.  ;)

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

nomh

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »
We just used the hot tub. No pumps or motors. No heat. No aerators. Tossed some food in it once in a while. The fish thrived.

In fact, the four fish I put in it were donated from a neighbor who swore they were either all male or all female because he had them for years and they never multiplied.

After a few weeks in the got tub, we had scores of little fish.

That process lasted for several years until the hot tub was removed to make room for another of my mother's garden projects.

I also used to keep my own fish in two 55-gallon tanks and a 10-gallon tank for quarantine situations or small fry.

I've used about every type of filtration media available on the consumer market from diatomaceous earth to foam filtration to those plastic cubes. I know a little bit about keeping fish.  ;)

Well you didn't say what kind of fish you "Tossed" in...  how big they were. Were they minnows? Were they Koi? Also How many gallons was your Hot Tub? Put your money where your mouth is, Truik. Where do you live? What's the average temperature in Summer and Winter? Does it freeze over? Give us some detail beside that you "Know a little bit about keeping fish" you've got everybody here believing they can toss a bunch of fish into a hot tub and they'll live for years. Show us how it's done then.  Anybody who's ever kept fish will know that details like Size of fish per gallon of water... What you feed etc... is important information. I could toss twelve mud minnows into a bucket and still have anchovies  for a few months. I thought the article was about keeping food fish for survival purposes in a hot tub. Did you successfully keep large fish in a hot tub for years with NO filtration? AND without any die off? How did you combat algae?  Here's my small backyard pond. It's 165 Gallons only. That's miniscule for a backyard pond. The average temp of my water is in the high 80's in the Summer, and it freezes about four inches for two weeks in Winter. If you notice the water quality, I know a little something about keeping fish too. Even though I'm a "Newby".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
It was just inland of the coast of South Carolina. It was a little bit larger than your 165 gallon pond. I want to say 250 gallons but I don't remember.

The water quality had some algae, just like the nearby lakes. We lost some of them to birds, just like the nearby lakes. I was just a kid when we did this and I honestly don't even remember what kind of fish they were. The large ones were no larger than your koi. And the article is about alternative uses for a hot tub, not necessarily using it for fish.

And I don't care if you're a newbie or not...just relax a bit.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:29:09 PM by Truik »

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
Well you didn't say what kind of fish you "Tossed" in...  how big they were. Were they minnows? Were they Koi? Also How many gallons was your Hot Tub? Put your money where your mouth is, Truik. Where do you live? What's the average temperature in Summer and Winter? Does it freeze over? Give us some detail beside that you "Know a little bit about keeping fish" you've got everybody here believing they can toss a bunch of fish into a hot tub and they'll live for years. Show us how it's done then.  Anybody who's ever kept fish will know that details like Size of fish per gallon of water... What you feed etc... is important information. I could toss twelve mud minnows into a bucket and still have anchovies  for a few months. I thought the article was about keeping food fish for survival purposes in a hot tub. Did you successfully keep large fish in a hot tub for years with NO filtration? AND without any die off? How did you combat algae?  Here's my small backyard pond. It's 165 Gallons only. That's miniscule for a backyard pond. The average temp of my water is in the high 80's in the Summer, and it freezes about four inches for two weeks in Winter. If you notice the water quality, I know a little something about keeping fish too. Even though I'm a "Newby".

I see you are new here so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.
On this forum we are not combative. We respect the posts of others and we don't attack them.
If we disagree, we express that without displaying a negative or an attack attitude.
We have very little tolerance for combative posters.
Consider this an official statement.
When Truik referred to you as a newby he was clearly referring to your participation on this forum, not your experience with fish.
Again, we look forward to your positive participation here at TSPF, but we will not tolerate combative posters.
Be polite.