Author Topic: .22 tube magazine quick reload  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
.22 tube magazine quick reload
« on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
Does anyone have a good suggestion for reloading .22 tube magazines quickly?  I just saw a marbles catch 22 storage dispenser.  I also discovered that a McDonalds drink straw will hold about 7 LR rounds.  What do you all use to reload quickly?
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: .22 tube magazine quick reload
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
The technique I've read about: find a rigid tube of any material slightly larger ID than a .22 round. Measure and cut to length so that it's a little longer than the quantity of rounds end to end that your rifle will take. Either crimp one end close or cap with a cork. Slide your rounds in the other end and put in a cork. Done.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
you might like this better, been around for years called the spee-d-loader

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Firearm-Components/Magazines-Clips%7C/pc/104792580/c/104717880/sc/104442480/Spee-D-Loader/740381.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-firearm-components-magazines-clips%2F_%2FN-1100238%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104442480%3FrecordsPerPage%3D108

only $20 price hasn't changed either

I have one of those, they are awesome. They load themselves quickly, can be used with rifles that load through an under-barrel tube or a stock tube, and come in different capacities. I got a 15-rounder for my new Marlin 60, and it works spectacularly well - 15 fast reloads of 15 rounds ready and waiting.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Atom Ant

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
An aluminum arrow is the perfect diameter.  Simply cut to length for the desired number of rounds and then cap it off with a spent 9mm shell to keep them in place.
What's a little Fallout?.... have a nice day

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
An aluminum arrow is the perfect diameter.  Simply cut to length for the desired number of rounds and then cap it off with a spent 9mm shell to keep them in place.

I like that idea!  Seems like a more rigid set up that I could fasten to a sling or the stock for on board ammo storage.  I have an old arrow I found in the woods....now i just need a 9mm casing!
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline joe_2224

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
I like BOTH ideas.  The straw trick is cool for "disposable" use and the ends could be sealed to keep the ammo dry.

Thanks for the tips!

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
I like BOTH ideas.  The straw trick is cool for "disposable" use and the ends could be sealed to keep the ammo dry.

Thanks for the tips!

An Appleseed instructor once told me that Dunkin Donuts has "10 round straws". 
TANSTAAFL

Offline devildog78

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:13:41 AM »
The technique I've read about: find a rigid tube of any material slightly larger ID than a .22 round. Measure and cut to length so that it's a little longer than the quantity of rounds end to end that your rifle will take. Either crimp one end close or cap with a cork. Slide your rounds in the other end and put in a cork. Done.

That's a great idea.  I will definitely be using that. Thanks.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Offline jr doyle

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
i have 5 arrows taped together and plugged with cork pieces this roll straps to the side of my pack and id easily accessible for reloading. just remember if ure going to go this route mark your arrows with bullet orientation, i loaded quite a few loads upside down till i learned :-/
By my own actions I am an indentured servant to the system. however, I shall work to earn my freedom!

Offline Saber19

• Prepper
  • Native Homesteader
    • Native Homesteading Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
So gonna be using these ideas for my Model 60 lol
"If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?" - Anonymous

Come check out my blog to read more about our work on the homestead and the journey to a more self sufficient nature! - http://nativehomesteading.blogspot.com/

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, they will make me and the 60 very happy!

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the arrow tip. My son used it at his first Appleseed and it worked well.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline Captain Howdy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »
I used a small pipe cutter to cut down some aluminum arrows...  Some rubber bands and caps from some old highlighters make good lids.  I rigged them bungee style..

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I like the catch 22 cartridge holder. I primarily use mine for holding rounds in my pack, and it would only hold about 3 reloads for a marlin nodel 60, but it is so much easier to carry than arrows full of cartridges. My primary 22s are a marlin single shot bolt action, a walther p22, and a ruger 10/22, in that order. The catch 22 is nice for separating different rounds, as i always keep a few CB caps around for use around the homestead, which is why i like the single shot.

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
I'm keen on all cheapo ways to hold fast reloads on my marlin 60...but I'm trying to figure out one that doesn't RATTLE when I walk.

The cool one on Cabela's rattles like a can full of dice!

G.

Offline Grannywhiskers

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
I have the Speed-D- Loader and it has eight tubes(?) to load with.  It was about $20.00 at Cheaper than Dirt.  Really like it.

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
GrannyWiskers, you just sold me on one, l've been wondering about the Spee-D-Loaders and your review locked in my decision. ;D

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
I'm keen on all cheapo ways to hold fast reloads on my marlin 60...but I'm trying to figure out one that doesn't RATTLE when I walk.

The cool one on Cabela's rattles like a can full of dice!

G.

I like the idea of the straws or arrows.  If you put a small spring in the bottom of each tube I wonder if that would eliminate the rattle? Not so long for partially loaded tubes but just enough to snug up a fully loaded tube. Also, I am thinking to look at Home Depot to see if any plastic tubing has the correct diameter.  That would be cheaper than arrows and quieter as well.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »
I wonder if its a practical way enough reload for Appleseed.

G.

Offline atfan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »
I wrapped my speedee loader with mcnetts "camo form" tape -helps with the rattle....

Offline reliable

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
I help teach Appleseeds.  I went to walmart with a .22 casing and discovered that not all aluminum arrow shafts are the same diameter.  It takes the larger size (don't remember the diameter).  The nice thing is that one shaft will make two speedloaders that will each hold at least 10 rds.  We use these for Marlin model 60s, and they do work well.  Take care.  Larry

Offline Mo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
I've used the straw technique.  I plugged the ends with the foam earplugs.  Worked OK.  Faster than loose rounds.