Author Topic: Disperse Camping in Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky?  (Read 10618 times)

Offline crownvic

• Prepper
Disperse Camping in Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky?
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
anyone know of a good place to disperse camp in Southern Indiana?  (South of 70?) or around the Louisville, KY area?  Need to put the BOB to test this spring.

Thanks!

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
Re: Disperse Camping in Southern Indiana / Northern Kentucky?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I've been doing some research on this to take my 10 year old son camping this spring.   I think the Hoosier National Forest and specially the Charles C. Deam Wilderness area are great options.  Here is a link http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/ccdw.htm.  Quote about the wilderness area from the website.

"The Charles C. Deam Wilderness area was designated a wilderness in 1982 and encompasses nearly 13,000 acres of the Hoosier National Forest. Wilderness designation places this area in a special legal status (subject to the 1964 Wilderness Act). It is managed to preserve a natural condition and provide opportunities for solitude."

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
What do you mean by "disperse" camp?  Just getting away from population centers?  Just curious.

In the Air Force we had dispersal plans for aircraft and assets so as to not get caught with all A/C and assets in one location.  This was for volcanic eruption/hurricanes, or attack.  It usually involved sending A/C to several locations instead of moving all from one point to another.

V/r BP

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
The US Forest Service says "Dispersed camping is the term used for camping anywhere in the National Forest OUTSIDE of a designated campground. Dispersed camping means no toilets, no treated water, and no fire grates are provided."  To me it sounds like a great way to test skills and BOBs.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
Jefferson County Forest Phase IV, also known as the Horine section, offers both the type of camping you speak of (with special permit, I believe) and camping facilities with very little improvement (Water spigot and port-a-cans or pit latrines installed when the place was still a Boy Scout Camp).  I haven't camped at Horine for around 10 years, but it was $5 a head per night back then.

There are some nice hiking trails of various difficulty, a couple of more or less logging roads, one graveled road to the old Horine family cemetery still active and on the property (rumored hauntings and a couple of rather odd phenomena surrounding that), a small pond that may or may not have fish but did have an impressive snake population when I was last there, and a couple of very nice pine orchards planted by old Doc Horine back in his day that are very pleasant to camp in so long as the winds are not high and there is no lightning.  There is a trappers cabin on the property that might be available for use, though it was in pretty bad shape when I was there 10 years ago.

I spent many an enjoyable weekend there growing up.  It is where I learned my tracking, stealth, and evasion skills.  We had the benefit of several ex-military including one very grouchy special forces sgt. with a heart of gold as part of our adult leader corps.  They seemed to always enjoy teaching us what they knew on subjects not quite endorsed by the BSA as appropriate for us to learn.

Something I learned early on is just how amazingly blind a person can be even when they are looking for something.  I actually had people look right at me (step on me one time) and never see me.  Funny thing, the only way I could have been anymore obvious in all of the cases except the stepping on one would have been to be screaming like a little girl and waving my arms like a flight deck controller.  The most blatant failure was when I was leaning back against a tree (standing up) and smoking a cigarette.  The search party passed within 20 yards of me, looked at me, and never even broke stride.  They all swore (literal swearing) later that they never saw me.

It might not be what you are looking for, but it is a really nice place to camp.  Just avoid major holidays.  There are some large and rather rowdy groups that like to use the facility on holiday weekends.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
I second the Deam Wilderness just south of Bloomington.  I have backpacked there many times and have always had a good time.  There are no permits or fees to use or access the place.  There is even a cave you can explore if you know where it is located.  There is a fire tower you can go up in also.  Great place!  I have a good map I can email you if you want.  I pulled it off the web.

Offline drinkin

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Unfortunately the caves are currently closed to protect the bats.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »
I was just checking out the National Parks Service website, and you guys in Indiana don't have very many with much land do you?

I'm spoiled down here in Virginia I guess. Well, for that matter anyone along the Appalachian Trail has quite a few choices for backwoods camping it seems. We also have a battlefield park or two I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:30:11 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
The main place I always went when I lived in indiana was the deam wilderness.  That place was good enough for me.  Now that I live in Michigan, there are LOTS of places to do some dispersed camping!  I am spoiled now!!!

Offline crownvic

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it.  I like to camp for real, not caged into a campground with a bunch of whiny kids and microwaves going off.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
That area isn't far from here, and would be rather fun I would think.  I'm not into volunteering, but maybe a small group would be interesting in putting a event together.

It's close enough for a weekend run from Central KY.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it.  I like to camp for real, not caged into a campground with a bunch of whiny kids and microwaves going off.

My favorite are the ding-a-lings who pay $40+ PER NIGHT for a freakin pad of DIRT to pitch a tent on or park an RV.

I cannot even fathom what would posess someone to shell out $40 a night or more to be right up against a bunch of other stupid yuppies with their whiny ignorant brat kids and bring their TVs and cell phones along with them when they could just get a cheap motel for that much.