Author Topic: Durability of 22 Ammo  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Diver55

• Prepper
Durability of 22 Ammo
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »
I Decided to put a couple of 22longs in my altoids EDC the other day because we use that ammo alot on the farm, mainly for culling livestock, and I had the extra space so thought, why not. Then it got me thinking about wheather or not it's even safe to do that? Then I also started thinking about how many times i pick up the ol 22 rifle and throw a couple rounds into my shirt pocket and continue with my intitial task. But is that safe either? Can these rounds be accidentally fired, sending a chunk of lead through my chest? or hitting someone else? Is there a better way?
Please, any info would be much appreciated.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Durability of 22 Ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
I don't know how easily they can go off, but you can probably relax about putting them together in an altoids can or your pocket. Just think about how most cheap 22 ammo is sold. It comes in boxes of 300-500 rounds all mixed up in a box. You can guarantee that that box during shipping is tossed around or dropped or flipped. It is loaded and unloaded from one truck to the next and the whole time, not a singe shot ever goes off. If it wasn't safe putting a bunch of loose 22 rounds together then shaking the box up, the ammo companies would never do it for fear of being sued.

If a loose round ever did go off, it wouldn't be fun, but you wouldn't have to worry about it piercing your heart. Mythbusters tested this one. What they found was that when a loose round goes off, the case shoots off while the bullet slowly goes the other way. I wouldn't want to get hit in the eye by either of them, but since the propellant is exposed to the open air so quickly, neither part gains enough energy to do much damage.

Hope this helps.

Offline Reeper

• Prepper
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:19 AM »
I work for Fedex Ground as a Maintence Tech, my job is to keep the conveyors up and running.  Every once in a while there will be a box or two or three or an entire box of ammo brake open and we finding 9mm, 40, 38 etc in the bottom guard for the next month.  Once I found a bunch of 22's in one.  One of the 22's was rubbing against the conveyor belt long enough to worn half of the primer and casing gone.  No boom.  Even with the amount of heat that was being put on the brass and primer the charge just spilled out.  So I do not think you have anything to worry about in your pockets or anywhere else.

Offline Diver55

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »
Thanks to you both, I never really thought about the fact that the round wouldn't really be able to project in a lethal fashion if it isn't acctually secured, i.e. in a breach. I am suprised though that it's even able to take the heat such as with the conveyor belt rubbing against it. Thanks again guys.